PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Jetta Mk2 2 door LHD to RHD conversion

grayh
11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi All

I've just imported a royal blue 1990 MK2 Jetta 2 door (or Jetta coupe) from Holland, basically it's a 1.6 Carb, a little tatty but generally solid which is the most important as i'm only really interested in the rolling chassis as i'm doing a 20VT conversion on it using a AJQ A3 quattro lump.

I originally was going to just leave it as left hand drive but have now decided to convert it to right hand drive as I figured it can't be that hard??

Has anyone done this or knows of anyone that has as i'm unsure if i've got to start knocking holes out of the floorpan and bulkhead or if it's just a case of knocking the blanks out and using salvage rack, column, dash etc out of a corrado or mk2 golf / jetta?

Before I started pulling the thing apart I just need reassurance cos if it's going to be too much hassle I won't bother and leave it LHD.

I already have the A3 donor car and the thought had crossed my mind to try and wedge that dash in, also a friend of mine is breaking a G60 corrado and i've already claimed the brakes, dash, column, rack, pas etc.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. PS I will post some pics shortly!:1zhelp:

Crasher
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
It is a lot of work but made far easier if you buy a donor right hand drive car to use for bits and as a pattern.

One thing though, there is very little room for the master cylinder against the cam belt cover on a right hand drive car using the 20v engine.

grayh
13-10-2008, 08:52 PM
It is a lot of work but made far easier if you buy a donor right hand drive car to use for bits and as a pattern.

One thing though, there is very little room for the master cylinder against the cam belt cover on a right hand drive car using the 20v engine.

thanks for the advice, a little fettling will hopefully sort that! I get a feeling that nothing will go smoothly with this project, budget is already spiralling out of control!!

euroslap
13-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I didn't even know that these cars had ever been produced until I just read this. I've just seen a picture of one and the best of luck mate, it should be a really cool project car.

Personally, I think it'd be a lot easier to fit a G60 engine and cooler aswell (that's IMO). :beerchug:

grayh
13-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I didn't even know that these cars had ever been produced until I just read this. I've just seen a picture of one and the best of luck mate, it should be a really cool project car.

Personally, I think it'd be a lot easier to fit a G60 engine and cooler aswell (that's IMO). :beerchug: and

I know, was going to go down that route but my friend and neighbour is doing a g60 on a mk2 golf so had to do something a little different to him! Plus I love the rush of the 20vt and there's a lot of potential to unleash from it!:biglaugh:

grayh
13-10-2008, 10:36 PM
A pic of Jetta just about to start it's journey home from Holland! The spoiler was the first thing to be removed!!

euroslap
14-10-2008, 12:15 AM
A pic of Jetta just about to start it's journey home from Holland! The spoiler was the first thing to be removed!!

Thank God!!! :D

grayh
14-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Thank God!!! :D

Lol, not your taste then? It now has pride of place balanced on the back of my mate's country!:beerchug:

euroslap
15-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Lol, not your taste then? It now has pride of place balanced on the back of my mate's country!:beerchug:

It looks like a park bench! :D

grayh
19-10-2008, 08:41 PM
to anyone interested, i've sold lots of stuff off my donor A3 but still have loads left including rear diff, prop, glass, mirrors, dash, pedals, full interior, headlining, interior plastic trim pieces. I'm scrapping the shell next weekend and anything left will go with it so let me know if you need any bits, i will do you a very good price! :D

The Lunch Crash
23-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Can I just add that I refused to drive it back from Aylesbury until that spoiler was removed, when we picked up the A3!!

grayh
23-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Can I just add that I refused to drive it back from Aylesbury until that spoiler was removed, when we picked up the A3!!

Yes but you did lay claim to the spoiler......you said something like 'you've got to have that stylish euro add on' !!!!:D

grayh
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Ok, quick update on the jetta, it's now taxed, MOT'd and registered, relatively easy to do, applied for paperwork online and when it arrived filled in as much as possible, got it MOT'd and went off to my local DVLA office (Worcester in this case) handed forms in, after a few minor adjustments, £156 hey presto I was issued a reg number and tax disc (still waiting for log book though!).

Going to strip down to a rolling shell, remove glass and send for paint first. I'm sticking with original colour (royal blue).

16v gearbox is off being rebuilt, competition clutch will be next on shopping list and the ever elusive KO3S turbo, been chasing a couple on here but as yet they've escaped me, was supposed to be picking one up today but the bloke sold it from under my nose even though I offered him paypal deposit and arranged to collect today, gutted is not the word!!:mad:

macmillions
11-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm going to ensure I regularly check this thread. This sounds like it could be a great project and I cant wait to see the finished product!

grayh
11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, I've finally got a ko3s off e-bay, the first one i've ever seen on there and it was mine for £220 so I'm well hapy about that. Just ordered Black Diamond clutch for £158, gearbox should be ready this week. i've also ordered cam belt, tensioner and water pump for my AJQ engine so that when it goes in i've got nothing to worry about. I'm also going to remove sump and clean strainer as i'm told they clog up. I've just got to find the time to start assembly now!:aargh4:

grayh
13-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Started to remove drivetrain today as I had a few hours spare but before I got finished, the cold got the better of me, took a few pics, sorry about the quality but you can get the general idea.

I've included a pic of old ko3 turbo next to shiny replacement ko3s, also is the poor old donor A3 quattro that is now rusting in pieces in the great scrapyard in the sky:D.

I've had a slight change of plan, I was originally going to use loom and ecu from a3 but now opting for Qpeng stand alone management mainly for laziness! It means the respray will take a back seat for a while but such is life, at least it should start when I turn the key for the first time!!

Anyway I'll keep posting progress, it will be slow until the lighter nights start coming as evenings are the only time I have to work on it as my 2 kids have first dibbs on my weekends!

grayh
28-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Not been on here for ages, here's a pic of how she looks now running circa 270bhp with hybrid K03S turbo and p-torque

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq293/jettamk2coupe/2F6B6F31-B84F-4306-9B6C-88D327773BAB-3825-000001E57EA3EBC1_zps0828571c.jpg (http://s457.photobucket.com/user/jettamk2coupe/media/2F6B6F31-B84F-4306-9B6C-88D327773BAB-3825-000001E57EA3EBC1_zps0828571c.jpg.html)

Happy with how it looks so far, just needs to go a little lower.

Crasher
28-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Very nice, have you looked at the Chinese Jetta to get any new ideas? They should have made a two door Bora like VW's late 90's Projekt CJ, a huge missed opportunity to build a Golf Coupe.