PDA

View Full Version : Question Sharan fuel tank noise

charbel89
04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Ever since i bought my X reg Sharan I noticed a noise comming from behind drivers seat and happens when I apply breaks or when the car move forward.

The noise is like a thud and only when the tank is full. I tried filling to the rim and I still get the noise, and when the petrol is about 3/4 i could hear the a faint splashing.

IS this something to worry about? Any loose bolts or something inside the tank itself??

Thanks

andy e
04-07-2008, 04:47 PM
nothing to worry about all sharans/galaxy/alhambra do it, it is the fuel in your tank, the tank on these cars is a long tank with no baffles inside, so when you brake, the fuel runs towards the front of the tank, hence the thud,it usually stops when level is under 1/2 tank:beerchug:

charbel89
04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Bad design i would say.

At one point thought my fuel tank is about come off :)

carbon8ed
09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Bad design i would say.

At one point thought my fuel tank is about come off :)

Bad design - no surely not, surely it must be one of those ahem 'design features'! LOL. However, us simple folk can't possibly understand the complexities of that.

Mine does exactly the same and previous owner said 'he never noticed it'. I'm hoping I won't soon!!!

charbel89
09-07-2008, 01:58 PM
I have had mine for almost a year. The problem is as the fuel tank is about 1/4 full you wont hear it that much and you forget about it, until the next time you fill up again.

It is rather worrying especially that you can feel the vibrations of the thud.

On a side note: Currently I have a roof leak at the rear drivers side right above the seat belt and the front passenger seat right below where the roof rails are located.

Any ideas on how to sort this out?

charbel89
10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok I managed to figure out what the cause of leak was.

The roof rails bolts were a bit loose. I had to tighten all 6 of them.

To do so i had to pull the headliner right below where the bolts are, of course to do so you need to remove the handles and pull the mouldings of the body-to-roof support.

I did one at a time, i.e. I didnt have to remove the entire headlining.

I have had mine for almost a year. The problem is as the fuel tank is about 1/4 full you wont hear it that much and you forget about it, until the next time you fill up again.

It is rather worrying especially that you can feel the vibrations of the thud.

On a side note: Currently I have a roof leak at the rear drivers side right above the seat belt and the front passenger seat right below where the roof rails are located.

Any ideas on how to sort this out?