PDA

View Full Version : touran starter motor problem & coolant loss

tambo
07-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi. I have a 2004 Touran 2.0 TDI Highline with 35,000 miles.

During the last 6 months I have had starter motor problems and on both occasions VW replaced the starter motor but once again after just one week the same problem has recurred. I noticed that at about the same time as the first failure of the starter motor the coolant level had started to drop and I'd have to top it up every every so often. I had never noticed low coolant levels during the more than 2 years prior to first problem wiith starter motor.

Is there any possibility that the two are related (i.e. if the is a hole' or crack in the cylinder head or a damaged gasket and there is leakage into cylinder head because of that could it stop the starter motor working?) or during the refit of the two new starter motors could VW have done something to cause leakage. Any help/hints would be really appreciated. Thanks. Cheers, Tambo

RickT
08-01-2007, 01:42 AM
as its under warrenty... get it booked into VW asap before it runs out and get them to look at it again..

RicKT

Eshrules
08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
as above, it may also be your worthwhile getting an independant assesment carried out, to list all current faults with the car, get this produced on a letter headed report and go back to VW before the warranty runs out, with this report and request all faults, which cannot be classed as fair wear and tear, to be repaired. once these are reported, they have no choice but to repair them, even if your warranty expires in the meantime, as it is a previously reported fault, they will have no option but to keep taking the car back until all faults are rectified. i very much doubt you will have any trouble with VW fixing the faults once the report is produced, will offer an extra peace of mind to yourself as you will know exactly what's wrong with the car.

Harfiyah
07-04-2015, 07:26 AM
My Touran 2004 has now had at least three new starter motors. The latest ('most expensive') one lasted just a few hours before developing a loud grinding noise instead of starting. I've had new battery and new glo-plugs but still the problems persist. Also my coolant keeps running out and screaming for more water. The VW garage is at a loss to explain the problem, even with the help of computers. Has anyone fathomed it and found a cure? When it does start it goes along fine, so I'm loath to part with it.

boomboomer
08-04-2015, 09:17 AM
For the water loss check the water pump isn't leaking or mayonnaise in the oil.

Not heard of the starter problem before.

Harfiyah
01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi Tambo,

I have another 2004 Touran which had problems starting and coolant loss. After running up a grand total of 2 new batteries, 5 starter motors and 2 clutch and flywheel assemblies (mostly on guarantees thankfully) my garage discovered that water was leaking into the cylinders and blocking the pistons, which finally explained where the water was going. They changed the cylinder head and gasket and no more troubles starting now.

However, my son had a VW diesel some years ago and he ended up having to have the cylinders rebored before finally selling his car. My car has already done 135,000 miles or so and I'm still not sure about trusting it to go further than the shops. It's still squealing about emissions workshops and airbags, so I hope it gets as far as its MOT before we have to deal with these, but not coolant.

Anyway at least the garage hasn't seen me for a few weeks now so that must be some relief to them a last!

Hope this helps.

Harfiyah