PDA

View Full Version : Where to place axle stands?

Space Cadet
14-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I’m having my wheels re-sprayed next week and need to leave the car on axle stands for 5 or 6 days, I know where the jacking points are but where is the best place to put the axle stands safely for that length of time?

(It’s a 2006 3.2Q if that makes any difference)

adamss24
14-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Front, use the chassis rails but you may wanna put somme rubber mat to protect the underseal, rear you can use the fixing point for the trailing arms. Get a strong hydraulic jack and lift front at a time and rear after. Do not jack one side at the time as you shift weight of the car and it might slide off ! Leave the wheels on the car (slack the bolts first !) and take them off when car is resting on axle stands.

bora(ing) nick
14-05-2008, 10:25 AM
sound advice.... have some rep ;)

Space Cadet
14-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I’m probably being thick now, but when you say chassis rails?

And also the trailing arms?

(Idiot’s guide please)

…..and I call myself a petrol head!!

adamss24
14-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Look under the car and you will see 2 raised box like sections about 2"x2" running paralel along the car from front to rear. The front/rear bumpers/crossmembers bolts onto these "rails" and they give structural integrity to the car. They are designed to crimple/deform/absorb impact energy in case you crash. Trailing arms are the susspension legs/arms that you find on the rear of quattro or rear wheel drive cars and some sport FWD cars. They are also called independent suspension arms, completely different from a "live axle/rear axle" wich is a big girder with wheels at each end, suspended on coil springs or leaf springs. These live axles are mainly found on FWD cars and they are fitted on the lower spec cars...guess how they handle on the twisty roads !

Space Cadet
14-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Many thanks, it is much appreciated!

Is there anywhere in particular along the chassis rails that is best.

Also likewise with the suspension arm fixing point?

I’m sure it will become more obviously if/when I actually look.