PDA

View Full Version : Early Mk2 Jetta differences.

kcorfognik
24-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I now have three Mk2 cars - two Jettas and a Golf.

One of the Jettas is a '91 model and on an H plate, as is the Golf. Both GL's, both 1800's, both Tornado Red - like peas from the same pod and near identical twins.

However, the other Jetta is on a D plate and first registered on 01/01/87. It is a 1600 TX. It is such a visually different car from the other Jetta and I was seeking information on it.

The interesting points for me are;
The front windows have quarterlights, leaving a square/rectangular wind down section
The door mirrors are mounted almost halfway back on the door, and not at the leading edge of the door
The wiper sweep is for a left hand drive car - there are only 2 possible fitting points and not 3 as on the later cars - and so a right hand sweep would not have been possible.
The radiator grille (which appears to be original) has much finer slats (and more of them)
The steering wheel has four buttons for the horn - a very cool design
The hazard warning light switch is mounted on the dashboard as a rocker switch next to the rear demister rather than on the steering columnIt is also a similar red to the Tornado red. It feels and looks more like a car from the '70's.

I think I can safely say it is the best car I have ever owned - last week it clocked up 200,000 miles and has NEVER let me down - it has recently been racking up 400 motorway miles a week taking me to work and back.

This car now has to go, so as well as any comments on the differences between my Jettas I would appreciate any advice on disposing of it. I appreciate that it is not valuable in monetary terms (ok, it has alot of miles on the clock but it also has MOT until January 2009) but because of the differences to later Jettas I am reluctant to just scrap it in case it is "valuable" to anyone because of the differences.

I hope you understand my dilemna - I just hate to throw things away.

Any comments appreciated,

Richard

klunky
20-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I also own an early MK2 Jetta.Not too many around now.http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/ramsbottom50/jetta6.jpg

klunky
20-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Another shot of my motor.http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/ramsbottom50/jetta5.jpg

kcorfognik
21-05-2008, 08:59 AM
That is very nice! A bit tidier than mine and a nice tan interior.

I'm still looking to sell/give away mine.

Richard

klunky
21-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Any pix of your motor.

tuckinmk2 gti
01-08-2008, 03:45 AM
i drive an 85 but i also swaped the front doors and bumpers also grill. mine has idk how many miles on it. but its still truckin. i do like that color on that jetta. hey if you diside to part it out i will pay for some parts i need to replace. i deffently need to find someone that would sell me a new dash and a few other parts to convert my car back to righthand drive

kcorfognik
04-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Sorry - sold it.

But I do miss it.:(