PDA

View Full Version : passat tdi...

thebaldeagle
16-12-2006, 05:59 PM
just a quick query folks i anyone can help...

drving home yesterday hear a bleeping sound,and the onbaord computer tells me"engine workshop"..followed by the glow plug light flashin!:zx11:

its happened twice today also,so does this mean a trip to the VW dealership or is it just something simple like the glow plugs need changing?...any ideas pls ?

Boardboy
16-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Go for the glow plugs first. Cheaper than at trip to the *******!!
Regards Boardboy.

VW Techniker
16-12-2006, 07:51 PM
just a quick query folks i anyone can help...

drving home yesterday hear a bleeping sound,and the onbaord computer tells me"engine workshop"..followed by the glow plug light flashin!:zx11:

its happened twice today also,so does this mean a trip to the VW dealership or is it just something simple like the glow plugs need changing?...any ideas pls ?

Check your brake lights are working, if not check the pedal switch.

snapdragon
16-12-2006, 09:32 PM
It doesn't mean the glowplugs need changing. You need the codes read really, but I agree the brake pedal sensor is a good place to start.

thebaldeagle
17-12-2006, 12:17 AM
brake lights working fine...just checked.
the bleep followed by low plug light flashing happened again today.....but then for sum reason,whilst drivin along....it went out....:confused: :confused:

dont really want to take it to the ********...but

mutley
17-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Did you check the brake lights while the warning light was on? I had this come up on mine in July, and it turned out to be, as others have already mentioned, the brake light sensor/switch.

thebaldeagle
17-12-2006, 12:18 PM
no i didnt lol,will be goin out in i later on and will see if it comes again....if it does i will check the brake lights then...cheers folks

thebaldeagle
17-12-2006, 09:24 PM
brake lights checked today..everything workin fine!
seems to b an intermitent problem ie:-- can be drivin along,bleep bleep..message comes on,light flashes then goes out....got me stumped :zx11:

snapdragon
17-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Brake light switch has 4 pins two normally open and two normally closed, when you brake these swap over.
The lights could be stuck on, or not work, or the other two pins that don't control the lights could be stuck on or off. Then you get an implausible signal error code. Is it an automatic? Does it have cruise control? If so, check the function of these.

thebaldeagle
18-12-2006, 08:11 PM
sounds like its going o be a trip to the ******** after reading some other threads:zx11:
seems that the low plu ligh comming on is infact sum sort of engine management light on diesels

thebaldeagle
20-12-2006, 09:35 PM
trip to the dealership on saturday morning,courtesy car booked aswell just in case!
will report back what their findings are when i get results:1zhelp:

minty0_10
24-12-2006, 11:22 PM
the glow plug light has been flashing on my car for the last 2 years.
one of the resons why is dirty diesel.
open bonnet remove black engine cover from top of the engine i think its the 3rd injector you will see its taller than the others. theres a eletric wire going to this unplug it and hay presto the glow plug light stays out

thebaldeagle
25-12-2006, 10:51 AM
well it went into VW yesterday,hey presto,brake light switch was at faul...but surprise surprise,it had the same done to it in september so i didnt have to pay:D

RickT
26-12-2006, 12:46 AM
good result... just goes to show that a fault reported can send you down the wrong track!!

nice "cheap/free" fix right before Xmas!!

Cheers

RickT