PDA

View Full Version : Injector problems

Geoff Banks
15-11-2006, 06:46 PM
My hard working Golf Mk 4 TDI (03) has done close to 100k miles and yesterday developed a major miss fire problem. My local garage called the VW dealer to confirm the diagnostic had highlighted a valve prob on the 1st cylinder and recommended a pricey fix of fitting a new valve. I shopped around and found the same Bocsh valve at a better price (£50 cheaper) and was about to buy it when the garage called back and had spoken to another mechanic who had seen the same prob before. After fitting the new valve he had the miserable task of telling the owner that the misfire was still there (£500 and a lot of work later!) He has recommended that the garage fit a new wiring loom (much cheaper to try first at under £40). So..... They are fitting one tomorrow. Has anyone else been down this potentially expensive road?

I'll let you all know the outcome!

************************************************** *********************************
18th Nov It's fixed Whoopee!

Looks like the VW diagnostic indicating that the valve on cylinder one had squirted its last was TOTALLY misleading. Just as the mechanic in the village had said, it indeed was the wiring loom a £30 part as opposed to a £390 valve.(Hmm I wonder what would have been replaced first if I had taken it to the dealer?? Valve then the loom and I'd be at least £600 worse off! ) So to summarise... If your TDI 1.9 starts to missfire, you've disconnected the mass flow and it's still shaking itself to pieces, try the loom before you go for the valve AND TRUST YOUR LOCAL MECHANIC!

Have Fun.