PDA

View Full Version : jerky multitronic!

jjt5
13-11-2006, 09:26 PM
:( I have a 51 plate 2.0, 6 speed multitronic. It has been in for a new 'multitronic valve unit' as it was engaging drive after youd put your foot down, giving a hesitant and jerky drive. They said it was a worn valve box. However, even with this replaced, when you select reverse and press the accelerator, it hesitates & then the drive 'bangs in' as if youve been rear ended. The dealer told me there is hesitance in reverse which I find hard to believe. :confused:

jeremyh
17-11-2006, 09:19 PM
I have a 54 plate TDI 130 multitronic. It can be a bit hesitant to pick up drive from rest but nothing like as violent as you are getting. Sounds like something's wrong.

mrtenpercent
20-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I have a similar problem, thouigh maybe not as violent. generally it seems reluctant to pick up in reverse but a few more revs brings it in too fast. On occasion it has banged when the power is taken up.

It was taken to Audi Wakefield to be checked over for this and excessive noise from the box but I was told that these problems are common with this box and are not indicative of any problems.

Not sure if I have been fobbed off but after 4000 miles it has not got worse.

10%

mrtenpercent
20-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Incidentally, what does the valve box do and how much was it?

10%

dgh938peg
20-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a 53 plate A6 1.9tdi which had a bit of a "burp" and would not change out of 3rd for about 500yds. She's done 106k and from all the paperwork i have - that's the only gearbox hiccup.

My boss has an A4 1.9tdi which had jerky problems at about 15k. It would not pull away smoothly but take off with a huge jerk. East Kent Audi took the car in 3 times and could not replicate the problem. in the end, the box was replaced. Up until now (50k) the problem has not returned.

I would imagine it's the electronics controlling the box that's doing it. if you're under warranty - push for a replacement otherwise a new box is about £4000 plus fitting - ouch!!!

Audimandan:biglaugh:

jjt5
21-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Incidentally, what does the valve box do and how much was it?

10%

Aparently the valve box operates the gear ratios up and down. Its a hydraulic block for all intents and purposes I'm told & the clearances on the valves bugger up if the oil aint been changed. Still, cost me about £1800.00 all in I think.:(

mrtenpercent
21-11-2006, 08:21 PM
£1800! Thats a lot of cash!!

My car has only done 30,000 miles (allegedly) but I will be reoplacing the gear oil early just to be safe.

10%

adamss24
21-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Make shure you replace the filter as well. The valve body can be repaired but its a fidlly job not to be entrusted to a DIY-er.due to the complexity of the'box. The clearance is given by shims and if you do a google search for zf gearboxes or your engine code is likely you will find cases where people(mainly experienced mechanics) have tackled the problem before. Audi used to have ZF comissioned to build the automatic gearboxes for them as they some of the best on the market but that stopped when they started making their own "in the house" gearboxes. They still suply them with steering racks though ! 1800 seems a bit steep to me. Have you tried Mr.Clutch for a quote ? Stay away from branches in Kent/Essex as i had a nasty experience with them a few years ago with a gearbox that broke down twice under waranty and in the end it couldnt be repaired anymore and they gave me a brand new one, or should you try them maybe you will get a new one as well !