PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Dip problem

northness
01-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi can anyone help? Golf Mk 4 TDI have no dip on the lights have check the fuses and all are ok .When switch to dip only sidelights on and when on main beam only main beam.

northness
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Have just bought this golf and have this problem perhaps this is common to golf's like the car shame not to be able to sorts this .
I cannot just nip down to the garage even if I wanted to as I live on one of the Orkney islands.

mike213735
06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
This is gonna sound like a stupid thing to say, but trust me, it has happened to me.
Try either replacing one of the bulbs. I bought a car once that both the dipped beam filaments on the headlamp bulbs had blown.

Chances of that eh?

Try it, it's worth a shot.

Thanks
Mike

northness
06-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi Mike
I will check the bulbs I had look at the Haynes manual and notice that the wiring went to what I thinks is a dimmer switch on the dash which may have being playing up .
Have just contacted the previous owner and he has inform me they had only just pack up before I bought the car and he had been driving around on the main beams would you belive.
So will check the bulbs
Thanks again

mike213735
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi,

I would say that that switch, which I am assuming is a variable switch as opposed to on/off, is a beam adjustment. This tilts the reflectors in the haedlamps to adjust the beam.

If the last owner is saying they packed up together, then this limits the possibilities. It needs to be something that both lights share. This means it can't be a fuse as they are fused separately, bulb as they are separate, wiring as to some extent, this will be separate.

This would mean it must be a switch. Either the headlamp switch itself (but then would the mainbeam work?) or the dipped/main stork on the steering column.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks
Mike

northness
07-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi mike
cannot check the lights yet due to a gale blowing at the moment .
but the switch I refer to is to the left of the column on the dash near the fuses box and there is two one tilts the headlights the other I have yet to find out when I get the lights sorted it will become clear what this switch does :confused:
Andy

mike213735
07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Andy,

Blowing a gale....we have bright sunshine down here. In fact I am thinking of getting the bucket out and washing the car.

One of the switches tilts the headlights, the other dims your dash illumination.

Mike

northness
12-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Mike
Well you were right have had to change both bulbs and the lights are now working .
But because of the size of my hands I had to take the headlights out to get at the back of the light.
Which means the front bumber comes off away they are now working will now tackle the front brake pads as the dash is telling mean they need changing .
Thanks again watch the the speed cameras! We have one shop one pub and no policeman.
Andy