PDA

View Full Version : DSG Flywheel question

dekhelia
07-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Hi all - I'm looking at buying a Skoda Superb (2.0 diesel, DSG, 65-plate), which has a known 'rattle' from the flywheel. My question: is this a job for a competent home mechanic? I've replaced gearboxes, clutches, engines etc before many times, but have never encountered one of these. Looking at the parts contained in a replacement clutch and flywheel kit, there seem to be many more bits involved than with a 'regular' clutch (usually just flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and release bearing assembly).

Any thoughts from anyone who's done this?

Crasher
07-08-2023, 02:00 PM
What is the VIN? It will probaly have the DQ250 box and these are unbelievably heavy, I cannot imagine to pain doing one on the floor, we have a floor standing gearbox jack. The subframe needs to be dropped down and pulled rearwards but we take it out by disconnected the steering down shaft and ball joins/track rod ends. The installed position of the subframe must be maintained with four T10486 alignment pins. EVERY single nut and bolt you remove MUST be replaced as they are one time only Torque To Yield.

dekhelia
07-08-2023, 08:21 PM
Thanks Crasher. Sounds like one for me to avoid.

mickeybo
07-08-2023, 10:17 PM
To carry out this work you would certainly require at least 2 gearbox stands & a lift it certainly is a 2 man job. we have 4 of these gear box stands for 4 wheel drive vehicles which is required
for these type vehicles

Ronald Neale
23-08-2023, 04:14 AM
The flywheel and clutch assembly includes far more components than a standard clutch installation. For those who have replaced a dual mass flywheel on this Skoda model, would you recommend this as a do-it-yourself endeavor or is it best left to a professional mechanic?