PDA

View Full Version : Covid Lockdown and DPFs

johnsimcox
30-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Given modern diesel engines are not designed for short journeys I am wondering whether the industry is going to see a massive increase in failed DPFs as they are very unlikely to able to go through a full regen process in the current lockdown environment. My own car has probably done no more than 30 miles in the past 2 weeks. Fortunately I have access to a couple of petrol engined cars which I am using for essential journeys at the moment

Alan02
15-04-2020, 09:52 AM
In my previous C6 2.0TDI, my commute was fairly short although the car did get decent runs at the weekend, but not on motorway. I never in the 3 years I owned it had a DPF issue. I wouldn`t worry too much.

psychopomp1
24-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Yeah i believe it was only early gen DPF cars (around 2008/2009) which had DPF issues. The DPF on modern Audi/VAG diesels is generally trouble free these days, even if the car is used mainly for short trips.

istate75
28-04-2020, 04:31 PM
To add to psychopomp1's comment, I've only been doing short runs to the supermarket in my C7 FL, and on Friday of last week, when I parked up back home I could hear the familiar sound of the DPF Regen fans running. I had only driven 5 miles there and back, so 10 in total. Highest speed I got to was 50 for about 1-1/2 miles. Not sure if having a 3 ltr helps as I guess they produce a bit more heat?

Gazwould
28-04-2020, 04:52 PM
The key to it all is everything working correctly as above a regen still occurs even with low miles.

Unfortunately there's too many possible issues against it even the most simple of common faults that make it generally a flawed system .

pfnsht
30-04-2020, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, they were designed with some periods of short journeys involved. My own DPF equipped car (2.0 cr170) I've owned since almost new for 7 years and put 75k on it and at times have covered short journeys for months and never had a problem.

I suspect it will want replacing at the 100-120k mark which is reasonable in my mind as it is a wear and tear part.

ricky_s
03-05-2020, 07:41 PM
I'm using mine just once a week now for on a mixture of roads for about 20 minutes or so, just to make sure it gets up to temp and the battery gets a little help. When I got home after my last trip the fans were working overdrive so I guess it is doing what it needs to do.