PDA

View Full Version : Please Help P0046 and P2008 codes don’t know what to do...

Ken81
28-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Hi everyone,I’m new here and I’m hoping you guys could help me out. I have an A4 B7 3.0tdi 233hp automatic. I bought it with the fault codes P0046 and P2008. I read a lot on this forum and everywhere on the www,don’t know what to do anymore. When I start it and drive,everything’s fine. But as soon as I stop the engine,and restart it,I’ve got a loss of power. I can go up to any speed I want,but it’s so slow. When I drive for some kilometers,I’ll stop the engine again. When I restart it,often the 233 horses are back. But it’s not every time she loses power,and not every time when she does,it’s fixed just by cutting off and restarting. I read a lot about the swirl flaps. Wondering if that’s the problem. I checked today,asked my wife to accelerate while I looked at the rods. Passenger side doesn’t move at all. Driver side moves not the same when having full power or when she’s slow. Seems to be hesitating when not in full power. Seems familiar to anyone? Are the two codes related or are there two different problems?
Thanks in advance.

Crasher
29-03-2020, 12:33 PM
I suspect you need the turbo replacing/rebuilding and a new bank 1 inlet manifold.

Ken81
29-03-2020, 07:21 PM
I suspect you need the turbo replacing/rebuilding and a new bank 1 inlet manifold.

Thanks for your answer.
I thought the turbo was already replaced by the previous owner but I’m not sure.
Is the bank 1 inlet manifold drivers side or passenger side?

Crasher
29-03-2020, 07:41 PM
The turbo actuator on these is becoming a real problem, a lot of reconditioning companies do not know how to set them up correctly. Because of left and right hand drive market differences plus change of position due to observation perspective, the industry has to deal with the positioning of parts by a common method which is “handing”, right or left... that is, where the part is when sitting in the car looking forwards so bank 1 is the right hand side.

Ken81
30-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Is the actuator the same as the solenoid? If found a reparation kit that includes the two gears from an actuator on eBay. Might that do the trick and if I replace them,do they need a new set up?
Since bank 1 isn’t moving at all,is there maybe a problem with the servomotor? The swirl flaps and rod are already changed on bank 1. So all that’s left are housing and motor?

Crasher
30-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Could you message me the cars VIN, if the bank 1 manifold is new, the code should clear but these repair kits are not always successful so we only fit a new genuine manifold.

Ken81
30-03-2020, 01:35 PM
The cars VIN is: Wauzzz8e17a255971. I’m regretting now not buying the whole manifold.

Crasher
30-03-2020, 03:54 PM
It is an ASB engine with a 059 145 715 F turbo and this has a four pin plug actuator, the repair kit for this is 059 198 201 A so you need to know if this has been replaced and correctly set up as if it is not fitted using a specific piece of VAG equipment called a VAS 6395, it is very easy to damage the new actuator which has to be replaced again. As this is a stupidly expensive system, when we need this servo replacing we take the turbo off and send it away for the actuator to be replaced. If you can't find that this is what has been done then it needs doing.

Ken81
02-04-2020, 05:01 PM
It is an ASB engine with a 059 145 715 (tel:059 145 715) F turbo and this has a four pin plug actuator, the repair kit for this is 059 198 201 (tel:059 198 201) A so you need to know if this has been replaced and correctly set up as if it is not fitted using a specific piece of VAG equipment called a VAS 6395, it is very easy to damage the new actuator which has to be replaced again. As this is a stupidly expensive system, when we need this servo replacing we take the turbo off and send it away for the actuator to be replaced. If you can't find that this is what has been done then it needs doing.

Don’t you think sending the turbo to replace the actuator will be more expensive than buying a new turbo?

Crasher
03-04-2020, 04:35 PM
It depends on what you mean by "new", certainly not a genuine 059 145 715 F Audi unit at £1413.54, a Borg Warner 53049880054 new unit will be cheaper but we just give them to Midland Turbo and ask them to call us with the costs.

Ken81
08-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Oh really is it that expensive? I’ve found some on ******* for around 500€.
I’ve read a thread on this forum where you said to test if the actuator is vacuum (was for a vw Passat taxi). But I can’t seem to find the little hose. Is a turbo actuator the same as a waste gate actuator?
I also read on the net about people who cleaned their turbos with mr. muscle or revive. Could that help me out or is this really an electronic problem?
Any chance I could send my turbo to midlands turbo or do they only do uk market?

Sorry lot of questions I know,but I’m a noob and would love to get the problem fixed.

Crasher
08-04-2020, 06:16 PM
There must be turbo reconditioners all over France but I am sure Midland Turbo would not object. I use them because they are bloody good, it is just that I am lucky that they are only 2 miles from my house. I would avoid something like that from *******, if fact the company as a whole are beginning to annoy me as they post stupid prices on their web site that cause my estimates and bills to look like I am taking the **** but then when you order things from them, you find they don't actually have the stock even if they say "in stock" and that has happened to me twice recently, once this week. These people are not car people, they just move boxes, they could not care if it was fruit and veg as long as they can undercut and make a profit, zero technical backup; buy from car people, enthusiasts. When, not if, something goes wrong, you stand a better chance of getting help from an experienced person rather than some spotty oik with a PC, a head set and **** all knowledge.

Mr Muscle can be disastrous, it is water based but the turbo shaft and its piston rings (yes that is their proper name, odd but true) are not rust free steel so they can rust and then suddenly fill your exhaust with oil and believe me, THAT will ruin your day, and driveway... Also I have tested all these cleaners on cocked up bits of broken turbo's and all they do is remove the soot and don't touch the carbon, this has to be mechanically removed.

Being remote to you and your problem, i.e. not hands on, all I can safely suggest is getting the turbo professionally rebuilt as you stand a good chance of it being the problem.

Ken81
08-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Ok thank you so much for the info.
a shame you don’t live nearby.
I don’t know if there are any turbo reconditioners here. And I’m not fast to trust someone. If you say Midland turbo is honest,I believe you and prefer to pay the costs to send it to the UK. Only problem will be the days we have to miss the car.
One last question,is a turbo actuator the same as a waste gate actuator?

Crasher
09-04-2020, 09:41 AM
It has variable vane boost control, not a flappy paddle wastegate. I trust Midland Turbo unreservedly; they have rebuilt a hundred or more units for us without issue and they are very good at liaising with you and analysing any failure paths to avoid repeat failure. As I said though, I am lucky they are so close; it used to be even easier when TPS were across the road as our regular driver would collect and drop in both directions.