PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi Extended Warranty

Chicago
25-08-2016, 03:17 PM
I've not owned an Audi up to now...............

I'm currently considering buying a used A6 Allroad between 2 and 4 years old from an Audi dealer so would have at least one year's warranty. This can be renewed when it's due to expire, but no-one seems able to tell me how much that will cost, or how long you can keep renewing it annually. On 'testing' the price of some 3 year old cars on the warranty website, some seem to come out £600+ and others double that. Can anyone explain how the cost is calculated, what this is affected by, and how long Audi will continue to renew.

Steve_K
25-08-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure about the used cars but for a new car you can buy extended warranties for either 4 or 5 years. After that, there's no manufacturers warranty. I was under the impression the extended warranty had to be taken out at the point of sale (new). I could be wrong but I expect that you'll find that Audi won't offer anymore than a 12 month warranty on an approved used car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago
25-08-2016, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure about the used cars but for a new car you can buy extended warranties for either 4 or 5 years. After that, there's no manufacturers warranty. I was under the impression the extended warranty had to be taken out at the point of sale (new). I could be wrong but I expect that you'll find that Audi won't offer anymore than a 12 month warranty on an approved used car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can definitely get an extended warranty after the manufacturer's initial one has expired (or just prior, to be exact), that is not in question. I'm asking how they calculate the cost, and for how long it can continue to be extended.

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/audi-insurance-warranties-and-service-plans/audi-warranties/extended-warranty.html

ukgroucho
25-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Or talk to the audi dealer that you are buying it from - it should be an audi approved vehicle (and they should know its history).

Audi's own extended warranty is expensive - over £1000 per year if I recall. Some dealers offer their own version which is underwritten by a separate insurance company but generally specified to be the same as what Audi offer. It works out a lot cheaper - I can't recall exactly but I think for my allroad it was something like £1400 for 3 years up to 80k miles. There are some exclusions but that is true of the Audi extended warranty too.

The catch? Well if you dealership is part of a network then when you get an issue you take it to the nearest dealer and they sort it - no money changes hands providing it is something the warranty covers. Some of them offer a UK wide version so any Audi dealership (at the end of the day they are franchises anyway). If you are traveling abroad then you pay to have the issue fixed by a local Audi dealer and claim it back.. unlikely to happen but you could need to stump up £xxxx to fix a significant failure so just bear that in mind (it is what credit cards are for).

Chicago
25-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks for this - could I ask you which group you bought your (very nice) A6 Allroad from?

ukgroucho
25-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks for this - could I ask you which group you bought your (very nice) A6 Allroad from?

Listers

Nigelo
27-08-2016, 09:19 PM
FWIW, the Audi warranty extension (4 or 5 years instead of the standard 3) has to be ordered before the car is actually registered by the supplying dealer. After registration it's an insured warranty rather than an extension to the factory warranty. I took the 5 year option for my RS6 in May this year at £1,335 total incl vat. There are no exclusions that I am aware of, over and above the 3rd year of the standard mechanical warranty other than a limit of 90k miles

fest0r
27-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Seems appropriate to ask this question again as nobody was able to answer it in a recent thread.

3rd year is dealer backed not group backed

Your dealer wants you to go elsewhere as they do not want to foot the bill

I have seen this mentioned before, but not sure how it works or even if it’s true. I know you get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty and the third is a 60,000 mile limit so it sort of makes sense, but is it a dealer network kitty they pay into? I can’t believe a dealer is expected to foot the bill in individual cases :confused: The incentive to reject claims or pass the buck would be huge for privately owned dealerships.

I also took the 4th and 5th year manufacturer extended warranty at build for £1,335 (£560 4th year/£775 5th year) and the pre discount price was about £700 + £900. I would love to know if this means it’s Audi backed all the way or is actually some dealer scheme for some of the years.

BTW: 4th year is 75k and 5th is up to 90k miles.

Splash
28-08-2016, 01:19 PM
You're right, but there are circumstances where they can retrospectively add it. They did with mine, which for reasons unknown to me the dealer had registered a couple of days prior to handover (which is when I asked about extending the warranty). Either their premature mistake or my continuous ownership of Audis might have tickled the problem through various hoops and the inevitable "refer to factory". I'll never know, but at least I now know what should happen - and what can happen.

I now have the dilemma whether to sell it a year before the warranty extension expires (dead money) or keep and bolt on a 3rd party one in years 5 and 6 if I retain it that long. Mileage is low at the moment, but my new job is just at the limits of current e-tron range and raises some possibilities with VW Group and other marques.

Saablover
28-08-2016, 03:31 PM
It cost me about £360 to extend cover for a fourth year (at the end of the 3 year period) based on A6 2.0TDI Auto, 31k on the clock, £250 excess, 15k miles in the year, Named Component Cover only.
I would guess it's going to be more for the bigger engine and 4WD.
There's no indication on how long you can keep extending the period. I guess it's unlimited but becomes more and more expensive until it's not worth it.

fest0r
28-08-2016, 04:00 PM
There's no indication on how long you can keep extending the period. I guess it's unlimited but becomes more and more expensive until it's not worth it.

Extended warranty < Audi warranties < Warranties, service plans and insurance < Owners Area < Audi < Audi UK (https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/audi-insurance-warranties-and-service-plans/audi-warranties/extended-warranty.html)

Not available for vehicles with mileage over 100,000 miles (at the time of purchasing the warranty)

Looks like it’s backed by Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Ltd. so still no suggestion that it’s “dealer backed” :confused:

cypermethrin
31-08-2016, 04:07 PM
So my Allroad 245ps is 3 years old at the end of the month and have been offered the following Audi Extended Warranty:

For 10,000 miles

Named Component Cover : 0 / £100 / £250 excess = £560 / £475 / £391 per annum

All Component Cover : 0 / £100 / £250 excess = £726/ £616 / £506 per annum

Tempted to go for the Named Component Cover with 250 xs for £391 for 12 months