PDA

View Full Version : Avant roof rails and what bars?

Tinytimbo
21-06-2015, 12:37 AM
The roof rails on the avant have 2 small holes on the inside which I presume is where the fitting kit part locates.

ive just purchased some Thule equipment but it doesn't locate in the holes. You can slide it anywhere on the rail.

my question is do Thule make a kit that locates in the holes or is it only the official Audi kit that does this?

does anyone even have bars/fitting kit for sale???

Tinytimbo
22-06-2015, 09:15 AM
No one got any roof bars fitted to their avant?

ive bought the Thule 4001 fitting kit. Anyone running a different one with locating pins to fit the inside of the rail?

heavy_landing
22-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Are the Avant rails the same as those on the Allroad - raised, with a gap between the rail and the roof?
If so, I fitted some Thule wing bar edge rails to my Allroad, they don't need the locating points, are very low profile andso I just leave them on the car when not in use. Theyr're not cheap, but I'm very pleased.

johnsimcox
22-06-2015, 10:41 AM
The roof rails on the avant have 2 small holes on the inside which I presume is where the fitting kit part locates.

ive just purchased some Thule equipment but it doesn't locate in the holes. You can slide it anywhere on the rail.

my question is do Thule make a kit that locates in the holes or is it only the official Audi kit that does this?

does anyone even have bars/fitting kit for sale???
Those holes are indeed for locating pins top hold the rails. I think the alternative Thule option that uses the 753 foot pack has the lugs but not sure about the lower profile option. The exploded diagram on the Thule website does not make it clear, it may just clamp on

johnsimcox
22-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Are the Avant rails the same as those on the Allroad - raised, with a gap between the rail and the roof?
If so, I fitted some Thule wing bar edge rails to my Allroad, they don't need the locating points, are very low profile andso I just leave them on the car when not in use. Theyr're not cheap, but I'm very pleased.
No the Avant is different tot he Allroad and has flush rails with no gap rather than raised rails

eeyore
23-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I have the Green Valley Trek bars on my car. They came with 4 moulded blocks that locate into the holes on the roof rails and the bars then clamp onto these 4 blocks.

neilos100
25-06-2015, 09:01 PM
On my Avant I use the holes simply as a guide as to where to fit the bars...mine don't have locating pins that fit into the holes. They are made by Atera. Don't worry if your bars don't have the pins...they won't come off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

stokey1964
05-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Ive been looking at a foot pack to use with my old Thule bars etc.

My mate has a new Q5 that all seem to come with aero bars as standard, but never seem to get used. theres loads on ebay unopened from about £50.

I have taken the footpack off and they will fit my A6 bars on my Lemans and locate perfectly in the holes.

Obviously the bars are too long, but only by about 50mm

The bars simply bolt onto the footpack with 2 allen bolts and the holes are slotted to give some adjustment.

I recogn by drilling another hole either side and elongating with my dremel, I will have a good set of bars very cheap.

Will keep you informed as I only picked them up last night

Simon

stokey1964
06-07-2015, 09:35 PM

Well the Q5 roof bars are on

couple off things I found

I mounted one foot and tightened it up. I then measure from mt6he front of the foot back to the inner face of the roof bars , 25mm approx.

on the other side I did the same measurement, it was 20mm behind the face, plus the 25mm it should be in front, ie 45mm too long.

I then chopped 45mm of one side and redrilled the holes and slots as the other side. This worked out nicely.

The back ones are easy as they fit straight in. On the Q5 front drivers side the foot has 3 locating pins. nether mind, get the dremel out and cut the inner pin off.

When I came to fit the front bars this side wouldn't fit the pins, Audi have decided to fit different spacing on this one foot, the 2 outer pins are 5mm further apart, out comes the dremel again and Im left with just 1 pin.

As other have said some other makes of bars don't even have locating pins so this doesn't bother me, they are totally rock solid and look great.

A great set of bars cheaper then replacing the foot pack on my Thules

Simon

Paul_TDi87
18-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Bit of a blast from the past, but don't suppose you have any more pictures of your mods Simon? Just bought a set of Q5 bars for mine to mod.