PDA

View Full Version : MK3 golf gti hub/drive shaft nut

pants78
19-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi guys, newbie here.:1zhelp:
Car just failed MOT on passenger side front wheel bearing, i got a replacement from scrap yard. Came to do the job only to be confronted with a strange nut,(the one that goes on end of drive shaft at wheels) its not a normal 6 sided nut, the best way i can describe it is, it looks like the a big tourque bit.
Anyone have any idea what its called, its size and were i can get a socket to fit it, oh and is it left or right hand thread?
Hope someone out there knows what im trying to describe!:confused:

Rip
19-07-2006, 09:37 PM
You are descibing a spline nut to me.
How ever there are some multisided nuts that look the same only you can use you standard socket set socket (provided it is not a 6 sider)
they are standard nuts on my Drive shafts.

Martin

jp_paul
06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
All driveshaft bolts are normal left hand thread too. And normally tightened to 200 lbf ft (265 Nm) which believe me is tight. You will need a good quality socket and a long breaker bar to get it off. I'd recommend warming it up before attempting to crack it if its really stubborn.

Jp

devonutopia
07-01-2007, 12:27 AM
They're one hit only so get a new one! I believe it's a 32mm socket or something like that - needed to effectively undo the driveshaft from the hub/bearing. :) Please fit a new one as it's a pretty essential bit of kit and they only cost a couple of quid from memory.

Also, I think they undo anti clockwise. The tightening I believe (well, on mine) it is 90Nm plus 90 degrees, which is a fair whack more than 90Nm. :)