PDA

View Full Version : Rear locking issue - very annoying

MiniMental
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Hey guys n gals,

I'm having an issue with my 2005 Passat 1.9TDi 130 PD Variant... A few months ago my driver side rear door stopped unlocking electrically. I also couldn't open it on the lever inside, the button pops up but then springs back down again. Occasionally it works and after pressing the driver door lock/unlock buttons a hundred times
It eventually either unlocks or lets me do it with the lever. Now the passenger side has started doing the same... Both doors still lock every time on the button with no problems. Can anyone suggest how to sort this out or what it's likely to be as it's really starting to <REMOVED> me off? Afaik the ccm is ok and hasn't been wet. Never had wet front carpets at all since I got it in December.

Cheers peeps
Mini

jofauk
21-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi,
I've got the same issue with mine. was only periodical but now pretty much all the time. Did you get anywhere with it at all? wouldn't be too worried except for the fact I have my MOT in a few weeks so need to get sorted.........

MiniMental
21-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I'm still having it now. Both doors lock fine everytime i press the button but don't unlock at all now most of the time. Maybe 5% if the time they do.

Can't be electrical as I can hear the mechanism go inside each door and the plunger/indicator sometimes moves slightly but no unlock. Must be something mechanical in the door.

Still need help with this.

Mini

jofauk
21-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm going to have to investigate further, I can't be doing with this. I've just checked the wiring through the door, no sign of any damage but the connectors
seem a bit loose. Checked the opposite side for reference and that seems the same.

caldirun
21-07-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm going to have to investigate further, I can't be doing with this. I've just checked the wiring through the door, no sign of any damage but the connectors
seem a bit loose. Checked the opposite side for reference and that seems the same.

Just buy a used lock off Ebay, about £30, I have changed all 4 of my locks on my 2005 Passat with locks from earlier cars, no problems at all
with my 02 Passat, hence locks from earlier cars, the 05 version of lock is very suspect.

MiniMental
08-12-2015, 12:30 AM
Foot wells are now dry. Things have stabilised but are marginally worse. All electrics work except the following:

- RHS Rear door. Locks on fob + key. Does not like to unlock (seems worse if car is on a slope) can't usually unlock with door button or inner handle (deadlock stuck on) takes about 10mins of fiddling with buttons to open. The lock "tab" does move when trying to unlock so the signal is there. But seems to not be disengaging the deadlock more than anything? Once I've unlocked it once it will work perfectly with the door button until I lock it on the fob again.

- Drivers door - The week winter hit, lock stopped unlocking. Have to use key 100% of the time and it struggles with that as well. Have to really force it and then it suddenly clicks. Then turn key again to unlock. Central locking all works as normal except for the above issue. Drivers door does lock properly with button in door, key and fob. Again, seems like a deadlock issue. Driving me mad. Again, can hear and see lock try to unlock with fob but it's like the deadlock is stuck.

Alarm still activates (lights blink) unless rear rhs tab isn't all the way down into door card. In which case lights don't blink and I have to push tab all the way into the door and lock again on fob.

Anyone help? I'm a bit miffed really.

Lock mech issue? Wiring? CCm is bone dry and wiring looks OK as far as I can see under carpet. No issues with other doors.

I know I've revived an old thread but didn't seem right starting yet another one.

Cheers
Mini

Gazwould
08-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Common issue , most of it is dry solder joints caused by shutting . If they deadlock it's a lot of fun as you have to make a hole from inside into the mechanism and walk a wheel with two small flat bladed screw drivers .

So replace the lock mechs sooner rather than deadlock later.

caldirun
08-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Foot wells are now dry. Things have stabilised but are marginally worse. All electrics work except the following:

- RHS Rear door. Locks on fob + key. Does not like to unlock (seems worse if car is on a slope) can't usually unlock with door button or inner handle (deadlock stuck on) takes about 10mins of fiddling with buttons to open. The lock "tab" does move when trying to unlock so the signal is there. But seems to not be disengaging the deadlock more than anything? Once I've unlocked it once it will work perfectly with the door button until I lock it on the fob again.

- Drivers door - The week winter hit, lock stopped unlocking. Have to use key 100% of the time and it struggles with that as well. Have to really force it and then it suddenly clicks. Then turn key again to unlock. Central locking all works as normal except for the above issue. Drivers door does lock properly with button in door, key and fob. Again, seems like a deadlock issue. Driving me mad. Again, can hear and see lock try to unlock with fob but it's like the deadlock is stuck.

Alarm still activates (lights blink) unless rear rhs tab isn't all the way down into door card. In which case lights don't blink and I have to push tab all the way into the door and lock again on fob.

Anyone help? I'm a bit miffed really.

Lock mech issue? Wiring? CCm is bone dry and wiring looks OK as far as I can see under carpet. No issues with other doors.

I know I've revived an old thread but didn't seem right starting yet another one.

Cheers
Mini

See the post above yours!

nelly15
09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
I have a similar issue where one door button doesn't rise but can be unlocked with the inner handle so slightly different that yours.

Looking into it i noticed a lot of posts like yours and it seemed a lock change was used a lot as stated above

regards

caldirun
09-12-2015, 08:07 PM
2001-2005 VW PASSAT B5.5 DRIVERS SIDE O/S REAR DOOR LOCK MECHANISM ACTUATOR | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-2005-VW-PASSAT-B5-5-DRIVERS-SIDE-O-S-REAR-DOOR-LOCK-MECHANISM-ACTUATOR-/262178753747?hash=item3d0b124cd3:g:vVwAAOSwAYtWN7G r)
£20 delivered, easy to fit, if I remember the green cover locks are from the earlier cars and much more reliable than the black ones.

Gazwould
09-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Definitely not ...

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/download/file.php?id=5854&t=1

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s645/Gazwould/7bcc05ee-ad74-4649-83be-3bc3e688267e_zpse0f7e3fa.jpg

I wouldn't purchase any used lock considering the ball ache to replace a deadlocked one .

caldirun
09-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Its a safe bet as you can clean, grease and test before you fit it.