PDA

View Full Version : IMPOSSIBLE to find Passat Headlights

jonny1983ie
28-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi,

So I failed my MOT due to my lights being too dim.
Now I have been told I need two new headlights as mine have become faded etc.
I have a 1.9 vw passat 2004 B5.5 with gas discharge lights. I can not find any spares anywhere. VW want near £400 each but the car is not worth 400.

I can not scrap her just yeat need another year out of it.

Anyone any idea where I can get them. You can they them from the others as the indicator is between the side lights and the main beam.
I have attached a pic of one i found online.

Please Help!

jonny1983ie
28-05-2014, 10:23 AM
A vid of the light also I have been told that the adjusters are gone on both. :(

http://youtu.be/TuTzLeuZEnI (http://youtu.be/TuTzLeuZEnI)

Sam
28-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Welcome to VWAF ;)

You'll find plenty on eBay.de

Search for 3B7941017M and 3B7941018M or "Bi Xenon Scheinwerfer 3BG"

jonny1983ie
28-05-2014, 11:18 AM
What wizard are you! I have tried 3 forums and weeks myself!
One question, what are the differences between the two they look the same on paper?

Yikes £400 for the set suppose its half price!

If I go this route is there any issues with they way they point IE do Germans drive on the "wrong" side of the road?

Sam
28-05-2014, 11:29 AM
A wizard who has been around the 3BG Passat for far too long(!)

One is left, one is right, the German search should show you both though. Links/Rechts = left/right

Sadly they're very expensive and very sought after by those of us without xenon headlights wanting to retrofit them.

They'll have adjusters on to change the beam direction - do double check with your current headlight part numbers first though, don't trust anything anyone says on the internet without verifying it yourself.

jonny1983ie
28-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Ok I do appreciate this.
I have my MOT this sat :S so doubt they will come on time but I will get my nnits out tonight and see. I forgot my tool kit yesterday so no hex bits.

Appreciate your posts! I suppose I can look at this as an investment between my double din radio/nav and these lights I can part it for a pretty penny :)

jonny1983ie
28-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Sorry to bug you but could i ask a little more info re changing it to uk direction?
My mechanic is a bit lost.

Sam
28-05-2014, 01:29 PM
If you remove the cover from the rear of the headlamp there should be a lever/switch in there. You pull/push it up/down to change the beam direction. Do the same on the other side.

If there is no lever present, cover the lamps in cling film before applying beam benders, it'll make it easier to remove them later.

jonny1983ie
28-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Uagh :cry: so that hurt!
Just dropped £400 on head lights from germany!
They will be here next week some time, Its a holiday in germany tomorrow so prob mid week.

They better be worth it! suppose I can sell my current ones to offset the "damage"

I will keep you all in the loop.

what i went for btw
TOP Bi Xenon Scheinwerfer links VW Passat B5 Typ 3BG Bj. 00-05 Original Hella | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-Bi-Xenon-Scheinwerfer-links-VW-Passat-B5-Typ-3BG-Bj-00-05-Original-Hella-/111310088845?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item19ea992a8d)

Tripletrouble
05-06-2014, 10:04 AM
The reason they have become dim is that the plastic lens cover has become opaque with age.
VERY simple fix. Buy a sheet of 1500 and a sheet of 2000 grit wet and dry. Sand (really) the plastic with both for about 5 minutes per sheet, keeping the plastic wet at all times.
Once done, give it a good going over with T-Cut or a similar rubbing compound and job's a good 'un.
I know this works, our 2002 Passat failed this year for the same reason!

paulthefox
06-06-2014, 12:55 AM
well what was the outcome of the mot

paul:beerchug:

jonny1983ie
06-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey so the parts came today and my mot is tomorrow! First bit my ratchet broke trying to open the two screws on the top of the bumper nightmare!

Also I got two light one private one trade. The trade was £40 more expensive but is like a brand new light so good. The second hand one comes with all bulbs which is awesome but some cosmetic issues and a screw hole missing but lens clear.

My two questions are 1 where is the leaver to switch to uk roads and 2 how do I swap the gas discharge bulb???

paulthefox
06-06-2014, 05:56 PM
lever is inside headlamp you just have to look small hands needed:aargh4: as for change hid bulbs do search on site

all the best for the test

paul:beerchug:

jonny1983ie
07-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Ok sorry about lack or reply but so busy!
Ok more problems will stick just to the lights for now. Took to local garage and they wouldn't even touch them said they where way off and still too dim!

Went to vw garage and they just fobbed me off
So now I'm home looking at the old lights looking for this continental switch and I can't find it!

Any clues?

jonny1983ie
07-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Ok so just home from MOT and no surprise I failed. But good news the first guy was talking shut there are not too dim just set to eu roads so when I find this elusive leaver I will be ok.

Also had A few other things wrong but one thing he said I found interesting was this.

He said the adjusters in my old lights prob broke because the car needs to be on vag to be told that it's being adjusted other wise your fighting the motor. Just one for you to watch out for if anyone has the same issue. Here a pic of the left light and the wrong tail

jonny1983ie
05-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi guys. Failed again with new lights. Can online tell me where this leaver is??? I can't find ****!

Please help your my last hope!

Sam
07-07-2014, 08:54 AM
It might be time to get VCDS involved.

There is a procedure to switch to tourist mode (at least that's what it's called on the fancy pants Audis).

Saturn
07-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I have the same lights on my passat. I think tourist mode only is available on later model passat from 2006 onwards. The lights on the b5.5 can't be switched electronically as far as I know. I have also never found any manual switch to set the beam to european mode (that doesn't mean there isn't one, but I've never found it)

jonny1983ie (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?211979-jonny1983ie) have you changed the headlight bulbs? When I bought my passat second hand the light beam was *****. Put two brand new bulbs in and it made a world of difference.
Also here is the link to vcds if you have it to set adjust the headlights once fitted: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html)

jonny1983ie
23-07-2014, 09:04 AM
HI guys sorry I was in the US for a few weeks on work. Yes I changed the bulbs and new ones cam with them too but it was the lens.
I have heard of a polish guy who can do this sort of stuff but every time I call to his shop its shut so just thinking he is on holidays.

I have the VAG but didnt check and never saw the option before so prob cant change there. Thsi sucks so may balls its not even funny :( dam you MOT!

jonny1983ie
23-07-2014, 03:35 PM
HI Saturn! thanks for the reply buddy, I will try this next but it will have to be the weekend as i left the black beauty at my shed.
I am just stumped as to how hard this really is. But I do appreciate everyones help and replies.

jonny1983ie
27-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Ok so I got this error today any ideas?

jonny1983ie
29-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Sorry pic didn't post.

jonny1983ie
11-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Guys any ideas? At this stage I'm going to try and butcher a standard pair in.