PDA

View Full Version : 1.9tdi fault ....help please

hodge911
03-05-2014, 09:36 PM
a4 b5 avant 1.9tdi 110bhp 1996 model.
hi all i have owned this for bout 6/8 weeks now and it has a very annoying fault which I shall try to explain ;;
if you drive car sensible it is fine pulls nice and good on fuel BUT if I try to accelerate hard it just stops like I have switched the key off it wont start turns over but no start leave it a min or two it will start but run lumpy as hell [first time it did it I thought the timing belt had jumped] and pile out bluey smoke , switch it back off leave for another couple mins and it will start and drive like nothing happened as long as you drive sensible . it will sit all day at 70/100 mph on motorway no issues .
put a NEW maf on today but no different so can any of you nice people HELP PLEASE !!! its driving me mad

fourringsrus
03-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Filters?, if your getting a clog up when you hoof it maybe a bit of crapp moving about and blocking the line.
Possibly turbo vanes sticking and throwing her into limp mode

zollaf
03-05-2014, 10:01 PM
you first need to plug it into a diag computer and see what codes are there. could be a fuel filter issue or one of many other things, but a code read is the place to start.

fourringsrus
03-05-2014, 10:04 PM
I was just coming back to suggest a code read ( wifey was ordering a cuppa and I had to move swiftly or else )

hodge911
03-05-2014, 10:12 PM
had it on snap on solus pro today and no codes present all filters are new along with oil on the second day of me owning the car have only been on for approx. 1000 miles max

zollaf
03-05-2014, 10:45 PM
is the solus reading obd codes or audi specific codes. i use a snap on modis which is awesome on audis, never used a solus though, but something is telling me it only does obd codes, so can miss something.
so it actually cuts out, dead, whilst going along, if you put your foot down ? and you just roll to a stop ?

hodge911
04-05-2014, 12:57 AM
is the solus reading obd codes or audi specific codes. i use a snap on modis which is awesome on audis, never used a solus though, but something is telling me it only does obd codes, so can miss something.
so it actually cuts out, dead, whilst going along, if you put your foot down ? and you just roll to a stop ?

E.G
sitting at junction and think if i put my foot down i,ll get into this gap so into first pull away just about to the change gear point and bang dead so pull up safe as you can [ie dip clucth so can free wheel ] try to start staight away and she just turns over [and i noticed today while turning over glow plug light flashing] n no start leave for a couple mins and try , she will start but run lumpy as hell like timing belt has jumped , switch off leave for another couple mins and then retry and as soon as you touch the key she fires up as if nothing happened and you can drive off normal

micheal balbrig
04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
A similar problem on another post seemed to be cured by replacing crank sensor. It seemed problem was aggravated by failing dmf.
A scan may work now as you have glow plug light flashing.
Some information that may be useful. Google Wish me luck diagnosing problems today

hodge911
04-05-2014, 01:17 PM
right put the solus pro back on today after it broke down yesterday accelerating up the slip road same fault let stand start switch off let stand start and off we go onto a1 join carriage way accelerate normal all the way up to 70/80mph and spot on rest of the day
this time it came up with ;
00519 intake manifold pressure sensor [g71] short with power

any help please

hodge911
04-05-2014, 08:28 PM
after having a code for intake manifold I decided to take all the intercooler pipes off to see how dirty they were and a massive surprise were just about spotless checked the spindle/shaft in the turbo for play an again pleased to find none along with next to no oil continued with the strip down and pulled the inlet manifold off to find the inside of it VERY heavily carboned up I would say possibly 4-5mm thick not oily but dry black carbon .
I have the manifold siting in a container of petrol after scrapping out as much as I could it can sit all night and I,ll see what it is like in morn .
do any of you better informed think this may be my cause to the fault ???

zollaf
04-05-2014, 08:34 PM
no, your problem is the pressure sensor, also know as a map sensor, not working. it measures the pressure in the manifold, so it is telling the ecu how much boost the turbo is producing. on my 80, its inside the ecu but on yours i think its a seperate item in one of the boost hoses. if you look in live date on the solus, you should be able to see what its doing on a test drive.

hodge911
04-05-2014, 09:36 PM
no, your problem is the pressure sensor, also know as a map sensor, not working. it measures the pressure in the manifold, so it is telling the ecu how much boost the turbo is producing. on my 80, its inside the ecu but on yours i think its a seperate item in one of the boost hoses. if you look in live date on the solus, you should be able to see what its doing on a test drive.
thanks and apologies for my lack of .....I took the hard plastic pipes off that link onto the air intake on the manifold one section which runs across the rear has a sensor pushed into it and held in place with a large horse shoe clip and an electrical plug it also has a sort of vacuum valve with pipes and another electrical plug .
will the push in sensor be what,s goosed

zollaf
04-05-2014, 09:41 PM
probably, you need to test it through to confirm rather than just fitting another, unless you are prepared to take the gamble. could be wiring or other things .

hodge911
05-05-2014, 02:05 PM
right took out what I thought was map sensor googled the part number and what I removed from the hard plastic inlet tube is the intake air temp sensor part No 028 906 081 .
I looked on euro arts web site and what they list for the MAP sensor for my car I cannot find on my vehicle so can any of you nice peeps tell me where it is

micheal balbrig
05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
It may be in the ecu unit. If it is, there should be a small hard plastic pipe approx 4mm leading to it, either from intercooler or inlet manifold area.

Fire26662
05-05-2014, 06:26 PM
The IAT (Intake air temp sensor) is built into the MAP sensor. With mine I found some chafed wiring in the MAP harness and also in the loom leading to the fuel pump, along with a quantity adjustment fault code. The fix took me a whole 20 minutes, and so far so good 300 miles later.

micheal balbrig
05-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Can you tell us what problems you were experiencing as a result of the damaged cables.
And top marks for diagnosing same.

Regards
Michael

Fire26662
05-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Engine would cut out when I tried to be a boy racer away from junctions and traffic lights. And was a pig to start sometimes. Did a VW Sharan last summer too, the wires coming from the fuel temp sensor were chafed and shorting, they have a lift pump and the shorting was causing the ECU to shut the pump down.

hodge911
05-05-2014, 07:17 PM
hi all I am a little confused the part in the plastic tube that runs across the rear of the bulk head and is joined onto the intake manifold is picture one
and according to the euro parts web site picture two is map sensor for my car

any one shine a light and let me know whats what

cheers
peter

jbh325i
05-05-2014, 07:58 PM
being a 1996 110 the map sensor is built into the ecu so if you have the same problems after cleaning the inlet manifold out I would check the hard plastic line running to the ecu.
failing that it could be a replacement ecu needed.
If you were local I have a spare you could try on your car if you know you're SKC I could program it in. but im in central scotland sadly.

Fire26662
05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
hi all I am a little confused the part in the plastic tube that runs across the rear of the bulk head and is joined onto the intake manifold is picture one
and according to the euro parts web site picture two is map sensor for my car

any one shine a light and let me know whats what

cheers
peter
Is the sensor fitted in the top of the hard boost pipe? does it have 2 or 4 pin plug? Cars built before 08/97 had a separate IAT and the MAP sensor is inside the ECU. After this they used integrated MAP and IAT sensors that plugged into the boost pipe, and had 4 pin plugs.

hodge911
05-05-2014, 08:21 PM
right got the inlet manifold nice and clean took a lot of doing 2 gallon of petrol and a further 2 gallons of T.F.R. mixed 50/50 so nice and strong and a full nights soaking and a further 4 hours scrubbing with a tooth brush .
I am going t replace all of the rubber vacuum pipes tomorrow as whats on seems to be a little soft/perished and the braid is frayed

hodge911
05-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Is the sensor fitted in the top of the hard boost pipe? does it have 2 or 4 pin plug? Cars built before 08/97 had a separate IAT and the MAP sensor is inside the ECU. After this they used integrated MAP and IAT sensors that plugged into the boost pipe, and had 4 pin plugs.
it is fitted into the bottom of the induction pipe and is held in place with a type o horse shoe clip and has a plug with 2 wires that fits onto it

jbh325i
05-05-2014, 10:35 PM
it is fitted into the bottom of the induction pipe and is held in place with a type o horse shoe clip and has a plug with 2 wires that fits onto it
this is the EGR valve controller if you follow the 2 pipes one will run to the vacuum system and the other will run to the EGR valve.
Ive got a 1997 110 1.9tdi avant quattro with the same setup and have just broke a 1996 110 avant so I know the set up on these.

jbh325i
05-05-2014, 10:45 PM
if you remove your ecu cover you should see a pipe going into the ecu. the map sensor on the ecu is known to fill with gunge. you can also try blowing air through the pipe as this can also gunge up.

hodge911
06-05-2014, 02:33 PM
if you remove your ecu cover you should see a pipe going into the ecu. the map sensor on the ecu is known to fill with gunge. you can also try blowing air through the pipe as this can also gunge up.
WELL DONE THAT MAN
took ecu out of black plastic box disconnected the pipe from both ends and it was blocked not completely but almost blew it threw with compressed air and [for the dia of the pipe ] a fair bit of oil shot out . sprayed a good amount of brake cleaner into it left for a while blew out again refitted and hey presto what a difference so after cleaning all the pipes and getting rid of A LOAD of carbon build up in the intake manifold and while I was at it I made a blanking plate for the egr valve
over all result is its like having a different car.
BETTER ALL ROUND AND NO MORE DYING A DEATH IF YOU TRY TO ACCELERATE A BIT HARSHLY

jbh325i
06-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Glad you got it bud. I bet shes going well and what's the bets you'll see better MPG

fourringsrus
06-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Cracking result, well done all round boys

hodge911
06-05-2014, 10:11 PM
a MASSIVE THANK YOU to all who took time out to read and reply to my post

a forum at its best :beerchug: