PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 03 Passat tdi sport - Cut Out & now won't start

spadders
17-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi guys, I hope one of you knowledgeable people can help point me in the right direction.

I'm currently doing some major work on my house, and my car has been sat on the drive for a few weeks and not been used. I've been using a transit to drop bricks, cement, timber etc.
Yesterday, while on my way home, I called my wife and asked her to move my car over to the other side of the drive so I could back the van on.
When I returned, the car hadn't moved, and she told me that when she started it, the screen showed what she described as an "alladins lamp" I'm assuming oil ??? then STOP, and then the engine cut out.
I first checked oil, water & cambelt, before attempting to start it myself.
When I did turn it over, the engine turned freely, and seemed like it was trying to fire on 1 cylinder, at the same point on each rotation, but that was it, no signs of life.

Anybody got any ideas what I can check first?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

zollaf
17-05-2013, 09:50 AM
a code read really, thats about the best first step.

Doctle Odd
17-05-2013, 09:53 AM
And if it's been sitting for a few weeks the battery might be down on power

spadders
17-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Update,
I was telling a mate (ex mechanic) about it, and he said he'd pop round and take a look.
When he got here he drained the fuel filter off and had a mess with the EGR valve, turned over a couple of times and started.
Touch wood it seems to be running fine now. I'm going to fit a new diesel filter and have the EGR off and give it a good clean, but it seems to be running perfectly again.
I'm still going to get the fault codes downloaded to see what it shows up out of interest.