PDA

View Full Version : Question "Auto" on my new headlight switch?

pbassred
13-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I bought a new head light switch on Ebay. Dispite buying the correct part number, the new one has an "Auto" position. However the switch works fine. All the new position does, is to turn my headlights on with the ignition (regardless of light position).
Whas is the norman function of the "Auto" position?

richie190784
13-05-2013, 02:15 PM
I bought a new head light switch on Ebay. Dispite buying the correct part number, the new one has an "Auto" position. However the switch works fine. All the new position does, is to turn my headlights on with the ignition (regardless of light position).

Not owning an audi as of yet, but I'd imagine somewhere ontop of the dash will be a couple of sensors, or it may be next to the rain sensor if you have one, basically the sensor determines how much light it can see and if it drops below a certain level will automatically switch the headlights on, I.E going thru a tunnel where the light level is reduced, its more a convenience thing saving you time by not having to switch the lights on yourself

I'm sure that someone who has this system working will probably correct me at some point as to the location of the sensor

Sam
13-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Rather than manufacture X different headlight switches, Audi/VW/etc decided to make one that covered all models within a certain range - on a vehicle fitted with auto-headlights putting the switch in that position would enable the headlights to come on when daylight levels dropped below a certain value. As yours more than likely doesn't have auto-headlights, all it does is turn on your headlights.

The same is true with the mirror switches - notorious for snapping off - all new switches have the position for 'fold' marked, regardless of whether the function is present.

pbassred
13-05-2013, 02:34 PM
on a vehicle fitted with auto-headlights putting the switch in that position would enable the headlights to come on when daylight levels dropped below a certain value. As yours more than likely doesn't have auto-headlights, all it does is turn on your headlights.
That's pretty much what I thought. The thing is, it takes time to "think" about putting the lights on which is different from mearly hitting the relay. It seems to imply that it is looking for a relay and then processing the result, so if I fitted a sensor ........
Any idea where the sensor is on an A4?

Sam
13-05-2013, 03:04 PM
The sensor (which does both autowipers and autolights) is usually mounted on the back of the rearview mirror. You'd need a new mirror, which will need a new windscreen mount, which (if you're going for the OEM look) will need a different windscreen.

You'll also need a harness - Kufatec used to sell a kit but I couldn't see it when I just scanned their site quickly.