PDA

View Full Version : MK IV Golf Suspension tuning, without lowering?

horrocks
17-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Hello all,

I'm currently driving a mark IV Golf, freshly fitted with a replacement 150 PD engine. At around 110,000 miles, the suspension's beginning to feel hellishly wallowy and the body roll quite severe, making corners on country roads a pretty unpleasant experience. I've already got an Eibach rear-ARB waiting to be fitted, but I've heard mixed reviews of these, mainly about snap oversteer, and want to see how much of a difference better suspension will make before I go ahead and fit it.

The trouble is, almost all of the suspension kits I've been looking at are determined to lower the car, and I'm not interested in doing this. One reason is that I live in a rural area and the roads around here aren't great, the other that I'd rather not catch every stray police officer's eye without good reason. Some of the local lowered Golf's I've seen just look like easy pulls and I'd rather have a well performing car that looks standard.

Is there an answer to this problem? I've looked at twinning Bilstein B4 (sport) dampers with standard springs, but would like to know if this would make an appreciable difference to the stock handling. Or is the only answer to lower the body?

Many thanks.