PDA

View Full Version : Question Gearbox Identification

Craigk2809
21-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys, I have been informed by my local garage that I need to have the garbox replaced on my 03 a4 avant 2.5 TDI AUTO (Tiptronic). How do I know excatly which box i need to buy to replace it as there seems to be more than one type. I apologise for the ignorance - Mechanics isn't my strong point! Also can anyone reccomend a trusted used supplier in or around Dorset?

Thanks guys

ametlib
21-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi,
There is a green ID- plate under the tranny . What you want to know is a 3 letter code placed after 5hp19fl.
If you dont want to go under the car, you'll find it in the trunk, next to the sparewheel.
What is wrong with your tranny?

Craigk2809
30-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Sorry for the late reply - been busy with Xmas etc... The gearbox display on the dash flashes sometimes - or has been known to disappear completely, I have trouble selecting reverse from any other position except neutral, and it occasionally stalls when I'm trying to slow to a stop! Not good!! I did try having a look in the spare wheel well but can't see a sticker anywhere. Maybe ill just have to drop it to the garage for them to ID it?

ametlib
30-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Just leave the tranny code for now. If your local garage wants to replace your tranny based ONLY on the info. you have given in this thread, you really need to go to another garage for a second opinoin!
Scan the TCU for faultcodes (VCDS). The fault you have described screams TCU at me ( have the footwell been flooded ? )

Craigk2809
30-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I've checked the footwell and all seems perfectly dry! I had the car plugged into a diagnostics and apparently all that came back was a gearbox fault... Hence the reason for the recommended replacement.

ametlib
30-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi,
I have post here, believing you had a AWD with tiptronic, as you state in your first post ? In your other thread you have a multitronic, so I guess multitronic is right?
In that case, changing the atf is the right place to start. If that don't do it, I'm afraid you'll need to rebuild your tranny...

Craigk2809
30-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Apologies for the confusion - it took me a while to understand which type of gearbox I had!! It's a FWD auto with tiptronic so I'm sure it's the multitronic! Ill get the fluid changed and see what happens from there I guess! Thanks for you help!