PDA

View Full Version : 80000 mile report

james_tiger_woo
07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
80000 miles - who'd have thought it - here I am. It's been not all that long coming...

Not much to add on top of my other reports really - it's still as quick as I like it to be, not as economical as I want to to be and not as nice a ride on the 18s that I would have wanted.

Some rattles have started from the back - also an odd occasional buzzing from the front passenger side that I can't locate either. I occasionally get a bulb out warning from the back, but I'm putting that down to the repair from the accident. The weird gargling is still there, the mirrors still annoy me in the way they seem to draw water to them, the seats could be more comfortable (but it is the GT) and the car still "bings" at me randomly when I put the key in - no fault found for the last two. Oh, and the suspension still creaks occasionally - no fault found...

What can I say, it's been a good ride - I wonder if it'll get to 90k before it goes back in April, then all I have to do is pick another car which may be a Leon as the Golf on my car scheme is expensive, but there are no Mk7 prices yet.

Proof if proof were needed:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7M_jJ2qVfsM/UG7XwIsWjbI/AAAAAAAAFIQ/ijV1r6rJpko/s640/20121005_134954.jpg

Keithuk
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice one James you've kept us informed of the service intervals all along, nice reports.

Now I'm not sure if you've posted a pic of the clocks but its showing 1894 miles on the trip and the fuel is coming down to the warning, don't you zero the trip on every fill up?

Do you keep a fuel con check with Fuelly or one of the other sites?

chody
07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
mk7 prices are reported to be similar to out going cars

james_tiger_woo
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't often zero that trip meter, but I do the one in the trip "computer".

I've stopped keeping an eye on fuel costs as it was starting to depress me as to how much I've spent on fuel - 80k, at (an approx average of) £1.30 a litre - Approx £10k in fuel over the past 3 and a half years.

kamikaze06
11-10-2012, 09:28 PM
80000 miles - who'd have thought it - here I am. It's been not all that long coming...

Not much to add on top of my other reports really - it's still as quick as I like it to be, not as economical as I want to to be and not as nice a ride on the 18s that I would have wanted.

Some rattles have started from the back - also an odd occasional buzzing from the front passenger side that I can't locate either. I occasionally get a bulb out warning from the back, but I'm putting that down to the repair from the accident. The weird gargling is still there, the mirrors still annoy me in the way they seem to draw water to them, the seats could be more comfortable (but it is the GT) and the car still "bings" at me randomly when I put the key in - no fault found for the last two. Oh, and the suspension still creaks occasionally - no fault found...

What can I say, it's been a good ride - I wonder if it'll get to 90k before it goes back in April, then all I have to do is pick another car which may be a Leon as the Golf on my car scheme is expensive, but there are no Mk7 prices yet.

Proof if proof were needed:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7M_jJ2qVfsM/UG7XwIsWjbI/AAAAAAAAFIQ/ijV1r6rJpko/s640/20121005_134954.jpg

May the 'force be with you' till the end.
Thanks for all the succinct reports over time, I found them very useful and hope my car is as reliable.
I have a dentist friend who's Audi has done 274,000 miles! Maybe just maybe, you won't have to change.
Although she stated that the driver's seat was just about knackered.

james_tiger_woo
22-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Thought it worth adding that there are other electrical gremlins - I've had, over the past week, "light out" warnings that I've routinely ignored after checking. However, yesterday the right sidelight was reported as being out - I checked, and true to the warning, the light was out - However, today it's back on....

And the tyre pressure warning is still the most pointless thing in the world as, despite many warnings, I've never had a flat yet - Interestingly, I had a nail through a rear tyre a while back that necessitated a new tyre and I didn't get a warning for that even though the tyre was clearly down.

And, of course, there's todays flat battery.

Keithuk
22-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Well all I can say is the flat tyre indicator is the best option I've added to mine for £35. I've had two slow punctures since I've had mine. Even though the light is on and you visually check tyres and they look perfect if I check the pressures one will have lost 4psi. After you change the tyre pressures you have to press the SET button in the glovebox so it recalibrates. Don't adjust the pressures and hope it calibrates it won't.

Oh are you going to change your avatar now you've turned 80k? ;)

james_tiger_woo
22-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Just done my sig, but I'll need a photo to go with it :)

Oh, a real annoyance I discovered yesterday - I was out on Saturday night and left the car at the restaurant. Came back on Sunday, opened the windows, drove forward 5 yards and stopped for some reason - cue about a gallon of water cascading off the roof, in the window and all over me, the inside and the window switches. Lovely (!)

Keithuk
22-10-2012, 01:19 PM
That seems strange if it did that while driving forward as there is a channel on the roof to stop water falling over the windows.

Before I ordered mine I was talking to a bloke at work with a Mk5 2.0 GT Golf is there was anything he didn't like or had he had any problems. He said everything is fine the only thing he does like is if he opens the door after its been raining water runs of the roof onto his seat. I didn't notice at the time if this channel was fitted on the Mk5.

SRGTD
22-10-2012, 07:21 PM
That seems strange if it did that while driving forward as there is a channel on the roof to stop water falling over the windows.

Before I ordered mine I was talking to a bloke at work with a Mk5 2.0 GT Golf is there was anything he didn't like or had he had any problems. He said everything is fine the only thing he does like is if he opens the door after its been raining water runs of the roof onto his seat. I didn't notice at the time if this channel was fitted on the Mk5.

Keith, I had a mk5 golf and can confirm the mk5 does have the same roof design as the mk6; slightly recessed, so creating the channel at the edge of the roof.

I've not noticed having a problem with water running off the roof and into the car, either when I open the doors or windows, although I don't have the windows open very often.