PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge not working

chrispey
10-06-2006, 03:54 PM
hey just wondering if anyone could help the coolant temp gauge on my 1994 2.0e is nt working and the fuel guge is pretty unreliable i've read omwhere cant for the life of me remember whee that it might be a voltage supessor located on the back of the instrument cluster does any one know the part number for this/ exactly where it is. many thanks chris

msond
13-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Hello,

See page two (at the bottom).

Mohan

Mease
06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
hey just wondering if anyone could help the coolant temp gauge on my 1994 2.0e is nt working and the fuel guge is pretty unreliable i've read omwhere cant for the life of me remember whee that it might be a voltage supessor located on the back of the instrument cluster does any one know the part number for this/ exactly where it is. many thanks chris

Did you get any joy with your temp gauge 'coz I'm suffering the same problem.
(Mohan says look at page 2..page 2 of what?)

Mease
06-07-2006, 11:28 AM
This be the thread "Audi 80 - Gauges"

Chrispey - My fuel gauge is OK but the temp gauge is dodgey, I replaced the sensor but the temp gauge works when it wants to.
Stuart(forum admin) has advised that it could be the voltage stabiliser at fault, I intend to replace this next.

msond
25-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Hello,

I changed the voltage stabiliser on my car, but it did not work. I have since changed the instrument / gauge cluster for a second hand item. It took a little bit of searching. The scrap / breakers yards all said that this is quite a common problem of Audi 80's.

The gauge I have now works but can be a little erratic (temp gauge stops working).

If you look on page two of this catergory, started by me, on page two of that thread, Stuart has posted pistures of the instrument cluster showing where the voltage stabiliser is. He has also mentioned other potential check points.

Thanks

Mease
25-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for that

I think I'll live with the erratic temp gauge for the time being as the fan does cut in wether the gauge is working or not!

I do have more queries and will be posting them in due course.

Cheers

dimi_ned
27-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks for that

I think I'll live with the erratic temp gauge for the time being as the fan does cut in wether the gauge is working or not!

I do have more queries and will be posting them in due course.

Cheers

at what temperature does your fan start working? my gauge is erratic also and once that it decided to work, it showed about 100 C but i don't think the fan started working... should i worry?

Mease
28-07-2006, 02:46 PM
at what temperature does your fan start working? my gauge is erratic also and once that it decided to work, it showed about 100 C but i don't think the fan started working... should i worry?

When it does work my temp gauge rises to 110c. This is when the fan cuts in periodically. I'm not sure if this is unduly high or if our recent weather has an impact.

My fan cuts in if the car is stationary and has been running for a while. I think this is normal. My car is an Audi 80 K reg with 120000 miles, a service history up to 114000. Overall its in good shape so I don't think its knackered yet and am assuming the temp is normal. I haven't owned the car through a winter as yet.

As a thought, If your fan doesn't cut in you could have a faulty thermostat i.e. sticking open thus preventing the engine from getting up to temperature.

Cheers