PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Normal Running Temperature on 1.9TDI?

slee02
27-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Hi

It would appear that it is running a bit cold. any advice please? thermostat gone?

zollaf
28-07-2012, 12:19 AM
indeed, 90 is correct. dodgy stat or dodgy sender. i would try the stat first.

slee02
28-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. How much does this cost and could I do it myself?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

benjie
28-07-2012, 02:45 PM
It should get to 90 and stay there - (incidentally, when the gauge shows 90, the temp is actually 80-100) - as said, try the thermostat first as the coolant sensor often causes the gauge to move erratically. Slow movement of the gauge, not getting to temp is often (but not always) thermostat. £20 from Audi, make sure you get the rubber o ring seal and some coolant to replace what you lose. As you stand in front of the car, look to the right of the engine block close to the front and you can see the thermostat housing, held in by 2 bolts (don't lose them when removing/refitting!) Make sure the engine is stone cold before you do it.

arman123
28-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I had the exact same problem with mine about 3 months ago changed the stat and the temp sensor all was ok
one thing you should look for is when you take the stat housing off the stat should lock into the housing if the the tabs on the housing are broken then get new housing under a tenner from tps stat should turn and lock into housing clockwise I think anyway hope you sought it

Boat_face
28-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Ditto advice above. Thermostat is probably easier to change. Temp sensor awkward but not complicated so expect scraped knuckles.

When doing thermostat drain down coolant and expect to loose a bit more when the thermostat comes out. If you're topping up with new coolant use the correct specification e.g G12++. Your local TPS supplier will be able to give you correct one. This is very important!

slee02
29-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I will take a look tomorrow. What a TPS supplier?

Boat_face
29-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Trade Part Supplier. They sell VAG original components. I've always found them helpful and sensibly priced.

wheymonster
23-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a similar problem and i am going to tackle the thermostat tomorrow. Has anyone got any tutorials?

arman123
23-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a similar problem and i am going to tackle the thermostat tomorrow. Has anyone got any tutorials?

What Audi you got b5 or b6

wheymonster
29-08-2012, 11:24 AM
b6 :)

Rez
29-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I also have same problem, and heater is blowing a tad cold. So guessing it's stat. Phoned main dealer yesterday to order one in and guy said "can't be that mate we NEVER sell thermostats!" well, stuck to my guns and picking up tomorrow.. if that hasn't fully sorted prob I'll change sender too.. starting to get somewhere with this car now. It really wasn't the minter I thought it was but how many second hand cars are. Clutch is starting to worry me a bit, bite point is quite a way out and it judders from first pull away in morning, has anyone had a clutch replaced and what sort of price was it?

arman123
29-08-2012, 12:06 PM
b6 :)

First make sure the cars cold open the coolant cap let any pressure escape close cap the stat is by the alternater two Allen key bolts bottom one is a bit tricky position I found it much easier with a long Allen key remove bolts pull housing be ready for loss of coolant check the state it should be on the housing turn clockwise I think to remove it should have a seal check the housing it has two tabs inside so the state locked into it if they are broken change the housing about £9 from tps when fitting the new stat put the new seal on and twist the stat in the housing and fit to engine replace the bolts make sur you get a new seal when buying a stat always buy genuine stat there not expensive put everything back together fill up with coolant g12 ++ from tps with water drive around put the heaters on check if you get heat out the vents check coolant top up if it's low