PDA

View Full Version : Standard MMI Help

krupatel
18-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi. Had my s-line a week now with not too much opportunity to enjoy it yet sadly. However I do already have a number of questions that I can't seem to find answers to in the MMI user manual.

Radio
even having last used the saved station in memory, why when next driven does the car not rembmer this and default to the memory list, instead it defaults to all scanned radio FM stations. Similarly the DIS does not remember the last selected radio setting either.

Nav
i might be expecting similar behaviour to a TomTom or any other generic GPS but when I enter a valid postcode or town the nav does not return me the street name to qualify my post code entry. Nor can I click into the street or special destination in town fields as they are disabled. In the least I'd expect the nav to return the name of the street that matched the full post code. Note even the dealer wasn't sure why this was happening when demoing to me at the PDI ( I forgot to remind him at the time for a resolution)

Media (iPhone connected by blue tooth)

Is there a way to toggle between podcasts, albums and streaming? Guessing not and something that MMI plus does do.

I'm sure I'll find a few more things as I spend more time with the car. But the little time I have managed has been wonderful-what a package!

johnsimcox
19-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Only had my A6 (2.0 SE Avant) for 4 days so like you still learning, but loving the car.

On the Radio issue, are you always using the same key to unlock the car. Last radio station listened to is retained in the key when you lock the car so if you were swapping keys it might change. The display returns to the standard radio screen even if you left on the memory screen and the DIS will display whatever station is playing. If it is resetting itself each time you start the car then that would seem to be a fault.

With Nav, I too have noticed this, however a 7 digit postcode in the main only relates to a single road or even part of a road so they probably think it unnecessary to give more info. Until this version of MMI Audi only supported 5 digit postcodes as only us and the Dutch have 7 digit codes so having come from the previous generation I am glad that progress has been made (albeit slightly flawed)

If you are using streaming audio via Bluetooth then you have only limited functionality for the connected device (iPhone or other). To get the full functionality as you describe requires the AMI option (which can be retro-fitted, as I am having done, as the dealer could not quickly source a car with one already fitted)

KAM
19-06-2012, 08:47 AM
@Radio
Can't say I've seen this problem. The radio appears to work as I expected and as described in the handbook. As I'm the only driver of this vehicle I'd go with johnsimcox's explanation until proven otherwise.

@SatNav
I can't recall the exact sequence of events, but I'm sure after having entered and confirmed a postcode, you then get prompted for something like "Centre" or "Navigate to location" (I'll have to check the wording of that last one - I know there are two choices!). Choosing 'centre' will get the SatNav to take you to the postcode you entered with it centred on the map. So if it is a unique location postcode (say for a major building, football stadium, etc) that's all you need. If you choose the other option (dammit, what are the words it uses?) it brings up the map with the general destination area and the adjustable cross-hairs to allow you to be precise about where you want to end up.

robob123
19-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Only had my A6 (2.0 SE Avant) for 4 days so like you still learning, but loving the car.

On the Radio issue, are you always using the same key to unlock the car. Last radio station listened to is retained in the key when you lock the car so if you were swapping keys it might change. The display returns to the standard radio screen even if you left on the memory screen and the DIS will display whatever station is playing. If it is resetting itself each time you start the car then that would seem to be a fault.

With Nav, I too have noticed this, however a 7 digit postcode in the main only relates to a single road or even part of a road so they probably think it unnecessary to give more info. Until this version of MMI Audi only supported 5 digit postcodes as only us and the Dutch have 7 digit codes so having come from the previous generation I am glad that progress has been made (albeit slightly flawed)

If you are using streaming audio via Bluetooth then you have only limited functionality for the connected device (iPhone or other). To get the full functionality as you describe requires the AMI option (which can be retro-fitted, as I am having done, as the dealer could not quickly source a car with one already fitted)

Can I ask how much the AMI is as a retrofit? I'd be interested in doing that.

johnsimcox
19-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm paying the same price as if it were factory fit as it was part of my original order but in order to shorten the delivery time the dealer could only find one without it already installed. Would be worth asking your dealer for the name of the person they use to retro-fit them (my dealer uses a third party) and get a price. Shouldn't expect it to be more than if Audi fitted it from new. I get the impression that this is a fairly common thing for the dealer to do. They were doing another one the week I collected the car but couldn't do mine as the parts had not arrived

jbanfie
19-06-2012, 11:23 AM
There is a retro fit ami kit on ebay for £299 - search for audi ami

Guest 2
19-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Make sure it's the correct one though - you dont want to be buying the wrong one for your car

krupatel
19-06-2012, 01:36 PM
@Radio
Can't say I've seen this problem. The radio appears to work as I expected and as described in the handbook. As I'm the only driver of this vehicle I'd go with johnsimcox's explanation until proven otherwise.

@SatNav
I can't recall the exact sequence of events, but I'm sure after having entered and confirmed a postcode, you then get prompted for something like "Centre" or "Navigate to location" (I'll have to check the wording of that last one - I know there are two choices!). Choosing 'centre' will get the SatNav to take you to the postcode you entered with it centred on the map. So if it is a unique location postcode (say for a major building, football stadium, etc) that's all you need. If you choose the other option (dammit, what are the words it uses?) it brings up the map with the general destination area and the adjustable cross-hairs to allow you to be precise about where you want to end up.

re: Radio - yes I've checked by using the correct key. In fact left Radio on memory setting on both keys and still it defaults back to the full FM list. Sounds like this is one for the dealer.

re: Sat Nav - I see your point about choosing centre or the other option to then see the exact street reference on the map. I guess I was expecting the street reference on the same page as where I entered the postcode/town so I can visually confirm this is the expected destination without having to go to the map. Still even if this is the way it's supposed to work, I still can't access special destination in town field. Another for the dealer me thinks!

johnsimcox
19-06-2012, 01:57 PM
re: Radio - yes I've checked by using the correct key. In fact left Radio on memory setting on both keys and still it defaults back to the full FM list. Sounds like this is one for the dealer.

re: Sat Nav - I see your point about choosing centre or the other option to then see the exact street reference on the map. I guess I was expecting the street reference on the same page as where I entered the postcode/town so I can visually confirm this is the expected destination without having to go to the map. Still even if this is the way it's supposed to work, I still can't access special destination in town field. Another for the dealer me thinks!

OK. Just been out to the car to have a look. The act of turning the radio off and then on again, as would be case in leaving the car causes the display to revert to the default screen for whatever function was being displayed when you exited the vehicle. For radio that is the alphabetical list of stations rather than the memory sub-screen as you are in effect "pressing" the radio button on the console. It should still be tuned the station you were listening to when you exited the car.

On the satnav issue, if you enter a 7 digit postcode then you are being very precise in where you wish to go to (street, part of street or in some cases specific building), hence the system does not think it necessary to offer you the option to look elsewhere n the area. If you want then you have to define that postcode as the destination (the system now knows where you are referring to) and then go back to the input screen and then select special destination>In vicinity of destination you should then be able to locate the special destination. Alternatively you can do the same by simply starting out with special destination option on the input screen and then selection "other location" (ie not immediate vicinity or destination) and then select the town (I think you can use a partial postcode (5digit) here as well and then go from there.

In a nutshell unless your radio is behaving differently to the above I think your system is working as designed

krupatel
19-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for checking! Radio is behaving just as you explained (still think it should remember where you last left of though). Sav Nav is probably also the same, although I will replicate a partial post code and a special destinations entry when I get a chance. Thanks again.