PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Issue - DVLA Advice

Matt482
14-06-2012, 03:10 PM
apologies for the rant........

Any advice would be great

Purchased A6 Friday 7th June. Car was ex demo registered in March 12.

Informed the dealership that i was travelling abroad 26th June and would either need my car for it or new car.
He told me no probs only takes a few days to sort everything out.

Great was made up. As part of negoations they agreed to pay for transfer of my private reg. So I handed my V5 for the current vehicle in and that was that and was told due to the transfer it would be 10 days.

I’ve spoken with the DVLA who have said that the local DVLA office has started the transfer today (14ht) and could be anything from a week now to 5weeks L

The dealership also asked me to set up the courtesy insurance on the 7th, unsure why??????

Spoke with Audi and asked why they can’t release the car as we own it, they stated as because the paperwork has been sent off they have to wait for it to be returned.

Now I worry that if the V5 is not back in time then I’ll have to go to France in my current car – BUT. If the DVLA send confirmation whilst away that my private plates can be placed on the Audi, will this then affect me driving in France and more importantly getting back into the country???

jbanfie
14-06-2012, 03:36 PM
In my experience this can all be pretty quick.

As it's registered, I assume it's already taxed?

If so, the local tax office will send a replacement tax disc - for both vehicles as appropriate, and at that point you can change the plates and off you go. I think the important bit is that the plates, tax and insurance all match, not so much the V5.

The V5 comes from DVLA central office and should arrive about a week later, although one might go to the dealers.

As this is a pay service, they are actually pretty quick, as it pays them to be so - I won't get a second private plate, because I learned, as you are, that they can be a bit of a pain!

One slight problem is that they are in the process of giving out new (Red) V5's to everyone because a whole load of blank old style ones got nicked from Cardiff - super! This might lead to a printing delay?

jbanfie
14-06-2012, 03:37 PM
If the local office are dealing with the application today, the 14th, then I wouldn't be surprised if they post the new tax discs today and they arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

Good luck!

Matt482
14-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I thought that but Swansea say at least a wek, plus i believe french laws state i must have the V5 with me at all times.

DVLA have stated that i could get a Temp Reg Certificate at the cost of £3, which is fine but not until they have sent confirmation out.

I'm guessing that this will all go to the dealer as they said they would be intouch when all paperwork has been completed.

Wouldnt mind the dealership is ony 15mins ways from local office :(

Thanks for your replies

johnsimcox
14-06-2012, 04:22 PM
apologies for the rant........

Any advice would be great

Purchased A6 Friday 7th June. Car was ex demo registered in March 12.

Informed the dealership that i was travelling abroad 26th June and would either need my car for it or new car.
He told me no probs only takes a few days to sort everything out.

Great was made up. As part of negoations they agreed to pay for transfer of my private reg. So I handed my V5 for the current vehicle in and that was that and was told due to the transfer it would be 10 days.

I’ve spoken with the DVLA who have said that the local DVLA office has started the transfer today (14ht) and could be anything from a week now to 5weeks L

The dealership also asked me to set up the courtesy insurance on the 7th, unsure why??????

Spoke with Audi and asked why they can’t release the car as we own it, they stated as because the paperwork has been sent off they have to wait for it to be returned.

Now I worry that if the V5 is not back in time then I’ll have to go to France in my current car – BUT. If the DVLA send confirmation whilst away that my private plates can be placed on the Audi, will this then affect me driving in France and more importantly getting back into the country???

I'm having a similar experience. I agreed to buy a new A6 Avant three weeks ago and will take delivery of it tomorrow. Because of the length of time taken to transfer plates etc I was told to put the plate on my current car on retention and then transfer it to the new car when it was registered. The issue for the dealer is that without the V5 with the new number for the old car they cannot sell it and therefore it is costing them money. I got the new number for my old car back in 10 days (and that included the Jubilee Weekend) and had the plates changed yesterday, but I am still awaiting the retention certificate and V5. I phoned the DVLA today and the work was processed yesterday so I am hoping that it will arrive tomorrow (am going to the local sorting office to check) so I can have the new car registered with my number otherwise I will have to wait until the new V5 comes through and then get it transferred. if I do not have the V5 for the old car tomorrow then the dealer is taking £1000 deposit from me until it arrives. In this technological age I cannot believe how antiquated this system is and why the office allocating the new number cannot also provide the retention certificate

Fingers crossed that the postman brings my paperwork in the morning and that your's comes through in time. As to your trip I very much doubt you would have a problem especially if you can prove that you are the owner of the vehicle. In terms of putting a new number on the old car the certificate is valid for 6 weeks so I do not think they necessarily expect an instantaneous transfer.

Matt482
14-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Hope all works out for you.

Completely agree its amazing in this day and age how process's take so long.

Wouldn't mind so much if it was a Ford Ka (no offence to anyone), but it is an Audi A6 - a "beautiful car"

johnsimcox
15-06-2012, 08:35 AM
DVLA has failed to get the Retention Certificate to me so will have have to get the car registered with a different number then wait for the V5C to arrive and then send it back by return to get the number plate transferred. Still I guess it helps to keep the unemployment figures down as someone has to process it

johnsimcox
16-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Well as predicted 24 hours after collecting the car the postman has delivered both the V5C for my old car with its new reg and also the retention certificate for the personalised plate. I'll now have to wait for the new car's V5C to arrive and then send it back to the DVLA to change the number over. Based on my experience the timeframe for the whole process was:

28/5 Send V5 and Retention Document to local DVLA office
6/6 Transfer processed by DVLA in Cardiff (apparently they do it regardless of location if the car never had a standard reg)
7/6 Receive new number from DVLA in Cardiff
13/6 Paperwork for new V5C and Retention Certificate processed by DVLA in Swansea
16/6 New V5C (sent 1st Class) and Retention Certificate (sent 2nd Class) arrive in Post

So that is about 2.5 weeks and includes the long weekend for Jubilee so hopefully you will get everything back in time before you go to France.

Matt482
16-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Let's hope so spoke to them again yesterday and all they can tell me is that they are dealing with a request for that reg Nd the timescales previously mentioned stood. They did agree with me though that the can not see any reason why Audi should not release the car. Lets hope I get it in time so I can also get new insurance docs.

Still amazed that DVLA don't offer a premium service - I'm sure this would be a money winner for them.

johnsimcox
25-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Let's hope so spoke to them again yesterday and all they can tell me is that they are dealing with a request for that reg Nd the timescales previously mentioned stood. They did agree with me though that the can not see any reason why Audi should not release the car. Lets hope I get it in time so I can also get new insurance docs.

Still amazed that DVLA don't offer a premium service - I'm sure this would be a money winner for them.

Don't know if you have resolved this and appreciate this probably only address half of the issue, but I picked up my new A6 on 15/6. I received the new V5 from Swansea on 20/6 (might of been earlier but car was only registered on 15/6 as we were hoping the retention certificate would come from the DVLA to avoid registering the car with another number). Sent the V5 and Retention Certificate to Theale DVLA office by return and the authority to transfer the plate tot he new car was back with me by 23/6 so all in all from Initial Registration to New Plate on car was 8 days including a weekend. Now I do not yet have the new V5C but that is not an issue for me. Shame the efficiency of the MoreThan online insurance account system cannot be in the same league!! Enjpoy your trip to France

Matt482
25-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info, got the car last week, and v5 turned up this morning do I'm ready to go.

Well apart from stopping on way home to pick up new tyre