PDA

View Full Version : Just about ready to order. Advise needed on buying and selling

Tigger2424
18-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi,
I have deliberated for too long.
I currently have a fairly high spec. A4 avant. Below is the specification for my new A6 that I would like.
My only concern with the the S-Line is that with all black inside it is a bit dark. I would have to consider a SE to change the colour inside. Any comments/advise gratefully received

A6 3.0 TDI Quattro 245ps, S-Tronic, S-line, Avant
6Y Daytona Grey Pearl Effect
4A4 Front + Rear Heated seats
WB1 Comfort Pack
WB7 Tech Pack Advanced:
PQT 19" 7 x twin spoke alloys
QV3 DAB Radio
8RY Bose sound system
KS1 Head-up display
9AQ 4 zone automatic air conditioning
QQ2 Ambient lighting package
PAC Storage pack
6XF Exterior mirrors
PGB Elect tailgate + Advanced key
PX2 LED Headlights
7X5 Park Assist
QR9 speed limit display
OM5 75l fuel tank
2C7 Electrically adjustable steering column
3GN Load area fixing kit

Any advise on how or best place to sell an high specification A4 avant in pristine condition?

Thanks in advance

jbanfie
18-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi Tigger,

I tested an s-line A7 on Wednesday and picked up a friend - after about 15 minutes I asked his opinion on the black ceiling headline, and he said he hadn't noticed! My dealer did think it made the interior a bit dark, but I didn't really notice.

Your spec is great and very full, which makes me wonder why you wouldn't pick the bi-turbo TDi engine, if only for the sound effects from the exhaust.

There is a Daytona Grey 245PS S-line Avant in my dealership (with a lot less options) it looks really good - have you looked at the black styling pack? It might make it look really really cool? I think the moonlight blue looks loads better with the black styling, but of course it's all personal taste.

I have no idea how to sell and A4 however.

Cheers

Jon

Tigger2424
18-05-2012, 04:00 PM
jbanfie
Thanks for your comments. Very useful.

The biTurbo: I like the idea, for me it is about travelling and not the sound. I was put off when I found out that they have put a speaker there to make it sound impressive. sadly reminds of of kids making broom broom noises! I am sure my wife would say this.

Interesting comments about not noticing the darkness. I guess after the first hour I will not notice it.

I had not considered the black styling pack. I will try to find some pictures.

Thanks

a8toa6convert
18-05-2012, 04:03 PM
You could spec Goa beige or Velvet beige for the seats, which will lighten things up. If you spec Goa beige, you still get the black headlining. If you spec Velvet beige, you get silk beige headlining, though you also get the not-very-sexy "Moor Brown" for steering wheel/dash, which may be a no-no. There's a table in the brochure, about page 30 something.

jbanfie
18-05-2012, 04:06 PM
"The biTurbo: I like the idea, for me it is about travelling and not the sound. I was put off when I found out that they have put a speaker there to make it sound impressive. sadly reminds of of kids making broom broom noises! I am sure my wife would say this."

The speaker only comes on when you are in "Dynamic" mode, when you are in comfort I believe it is used to make the exhaust quieter!

Tigger2424
18-05-2012, 04:12 PM
That means that I have to change to the SE! or am I missing something

jbanfie
18-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Also,

If their is one thing I have worked out - over the couple of months it's taken to finalise my car spec - take your time and look at lots of examples and drive them as well.

Also take a serious look at Air Suspension as the s line suspension, I think, is very hard. There is not a lot of detail around, but many online reviews say it improves the car a lot.

Regards

Jon

a8toa6convert
18-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Re the BiTdi exhaust note - correct, it only generates a V8 style burble/snarl in Dynamic mode. It's not even a speaker as we would normally understand it: it's a chamber with a resonator and a microphone, joined into the exhaust pipe, to cancel out or modify the pressure waves generated by the exhaust fumes. It's not "cheating" any more than any exhaust mod. would be.

a8toa6convert
18-05-2012, 04:21 PM
S-Line suspension is firm but, in contrast to previous generation A6, is beautifully damped and controlled. To avoid harshness I would probably give up the 19s and save cash rather than throwing even more money at air suspension. Sometimes less is more......

MFGF
18-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Any advise on how or best place to sell an high specification A4 avant in pristine condition?

That's a cracking spec for your A6!

We just sold a pristine 2009 TT today - we advertised it on the site, but got no replies at all. We ended up selling it to a local "exotic" car dealer, who offered almost 2k more than my local Audi dealer. It's worth calling a few local car sellers to see if they are interested in your car - if you find one who wants it, you may be surprised at what they offer.

Cheers!

MF.

Timothy Nathan
18-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I have a very similar spec but on an SE, with beige and wood. It is lovely, light and airy inside.

I don't understand people's preference for the S Line. Everything seemed worse about it to me, but mostly the ride, which is terribly hard compared to SE on 17s, and the road noise. You will have made both worse with the 19s.

I sound like a broken record, but I just don't get it.

nealeb
18-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I tested an S-line with 18" and air suspension. That's the main reason that I have an SE and 17".

But then, I can't even remember which grey I have...

Timothy Nathan
18-05-2012, 09:22 PM
But then, I can't even remember which grey I have...

Pileous?

MFGF
18-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't understand people's preference for the S Line. Everything seemed worse about it to me, but mostly the ride, which is terribly hard compared to SE on 17s, and the road noise. You will have made both worse with the 19s.

I sound like a broken record, but I just don't get it.

Funnily, I don't understand people's preference for the SE. I find them floaty and wallowy, and the major touch points such as steering wheel, seats and gear lever are less pleasing. Don't get me started on how silly I think those tiny wheels look on such a big car, either. They make very little difference to road noise or ride, and just ruin the look of what would otherwise be a very handsome car. ;)

There. :) Two extreme differences of opinion, but two people who still agree the A6 is a very nice car indeed. It explains why Audi sell both trim levels, so successfully. We may not see eye to eye on preferred trim and options, but we can be happy for each other that we each have the car we like best. :)

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nealeb
19-05-2012, 08:47 AM
...and one of the advantages of Audi's long options list is that you can mix and match. I seriously considered the S-line (especially as one of my previous A6s had the "sports" package) as it included a number of things that I wanted anyway. Until I drove one! The dealer sent me out in an air-suspension version so that I could, in effect, switch between "SE mode" and "S-line mode", although on 18" wheels. I wanted a comfortable long-distance cruising car that could hustle a bit when needed, and for me the SE met that requirement better. Then I added the sports seats and upgraded headlights. I don't touch the gear lever knob often enough for it to matter! I do use the paddles, though, and the dealer threw in the sports steering wheel as it wasn't clear that paddles were standard at the time. The rest of the differences are cosmetic - my engineer's eye says that the wheels fit the holes just as well on both models, it's just that the silver bit in the middle varies in size and number of spokes for no obvious practical reason!

Coming back to the OP's list - I didn't go for any of the climate control upgrades as I seldom have rear-seat passengers, but I do miss the digital temp display from the C6 as a result. The standard calibrated knobs are very difficult to read accurately which makes it slighly more difficult to make sure that the temp is where you expect if a second driver has also been using it. Not worth significant money to change it, in my opinion, but it's a small usability feature. As has been said before, ACC rapidly becomes a must-have once you have used it. I think that it is a significant fatigue-reducing feature as long as you remember it is a driver aid and not a driver replacement system:)

MFGF
19-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Mine is an S line with the following

Front + Rear Heated seats
Tech Pack
DAB Radio
4 zone automatic air conditioning
lighting package
Storage pack
75l fuel tank

I notice you are in Chester - if you fancy a 30 minute field trip across to me to see what these options are like in a car rather than just pics in a brochure, you are more than welcome!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robbyg
19-05-2012, 03:10 PM
i would have a good think about the electric tailgate and why you want it / how you would use it.
I have this on my current car (volco xc60) and i hate it. Everyone says wow and thinks its cool but...If you just want to open the boot, throw in a coat etc and close it its a pain. I always feel like i am stood there like a lemon while its opening. similarly, if the boot is packed tight with stuff you lose the element of control to ease it down and check you're not squashing anything before it slams shut automatically... You also need to be very care ful in underground or multi storey car parks as it is quite strong and if you opened it into say a pipe of the ceiling above you would get paint damage.

I am really looking forward to my a6 not having this. Each to their own though. It is good when you have your hands full of shopping i admit.

a8toa6convert
19-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Agree completely with robbyg about the tailgate. Had power boot lid on a Phaeton once - most irritating "cool" feature ever.......

shabazmo
21-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I would look at adaptive headlights or just high beam assist. I don't have either, but wish I did. I have head-up display and probably won't bother with it next time.

Tigger2424
24-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Thank you ALL for very useful advise

Changed the LED headlights for Air suspension
Sorry robbyg and a8toa6convert. I have an electric tailgate and I like it

Order now placed as follows (build week 28):

A6 3.0 TDI Quattro 245ps, S-Tronic, S-line, Avant
Daytona Grey Pearl Effect
Front + Rear Heated seats
Comfort Pack
Tech Pack Advanced
19" 7 x twin spoke alloys
DAB Radio
Bose sound system
Head-up display
4 zone automatic air conditioning
Ambient lighting package
Storage pack
Exterior mirrors – heated, adjust, folding & memory
Elect tailgate + Advanced key
Adaptive air suspension.
Park Assist
speed limit display
75l fuel tank
Electrically adjustable steering column
Load area fixing kit

robbyg
24-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Good work!
happy to disagree about electric tailgates, each to their own.

You will love the air suspension. Its great, best of both worlds.

rob

Timothy Nathan
24-05-2012, 08:14 PM
That looks great. You'll love it, except the speed limit display, which really, really doesn't work.

But the Advanced Tech Pack combined with HUD is fab.

Lukenkarl
13-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a s-line. It is a little dark, but it has led light package. I think a great popular option would be s-line spec with the option of 'RS type' silver leather trim as a option to the black that is standard s-line.

Passatier3
13-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Intruder alert, intruder alert! :D