PDA

View Full Version : Why the need for an AMI cable?

ricky_s
14-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Why would you specify this?

I have the very basic system which talks to my iPhone via bluetooth and this enables any music available to it to be played on the car system.

Even had internet radio playing via the car this morning as an experiment. All good fun. :-)

Guest 2
14-05-2012, 02:41 PM
For devices that dont have bluetooth ;)

iPod Nano's, shuffles etc.

MFGF
14-05-2012, 02:47 PM
You get control over the media player from the car's MMI system. As far as I can tell, the bluetooth streaming system will play music from your iPhone, but you have to make all the selections of track/album/playlist etc on the phone (or that's how mine seems to work).

Cheers!

MF.

skibuddy
14-05-2012, 02:49 PM
It will also charge your device while it is connected. You may also get more control over the device when it is connected via the MMI cable. For example, can you view and select your play lists when connected via bluetooth?

MFGF
14-05-2012, 03:01 PM
On my car, you can't select anything - just listen to what the phone plays.

robob123
14-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I have the basic audi system on an a6 c7 and an HTC desire HD and via bluetooth I can control basic music functions via the car controls, such as play, pause, stop, skip. I cannot see album artwork or search via album or anything like than. Its the same functionality I currently get from a sim card.

aurora7
14-05-2012, 06:27 PM
As well as all the points already mentioned, with the AMI cable you also get track information (e.g. song title) which I don't seem to get when only connected via bluetooth and not via the cable (this is on the iPhone 4s)

ricky_s
15-05-2012, 09:07 AM
As well as all the points already mentioned, with the AMI cable you also get track information (e.g. song title) which I don't seem to get when only connected via bluetooth and not via the cable (this is on the iPhone 4s)

That's odd, I do get track information and the ability to skip tracks etc. when using blue tooth, though I can't see track information when playing internet radio or Spotify etc.

robbyg
22-05-2012, 08:52 PM
audi brochure section on AMI says "comes with two cables to connect you ipod or usb device"
What cables does it come with?
Is this just dealers trying to charge £30 for what should be free? Need to know as picking car up this weekend.
Is there a usb socket in the armrest anyway for ipod connection?

MFGF
22-05-2012, 09:06 PM
audi brochure section on AMI says "comes with two cables to connect you ipod or usb device"
What cables does it come with?
Is this just dealers trying to charge £30 for what should be free? Need to know as picking car up this weekend.
Is there a usb socket in the armrest anyway for ipod connection?

The car should come supplied with an AMI to iPod/iPhone cable (red collar) and an AMI to Female USB cable. There is a power point under the armrest, plus the AMI connection point. The only way to connect the iPod via a wired connection is via the supplied AMI cable, but you can also connect the iPod/iPhone via Bluetooth and stream music to the car wirelessly.

Regards,

MF.

skibuddy
22-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I picked my new A6 up 4 weeks ago and was informed by the dealer that it only comes with an AMI Cable for Apple devices and no other. Thanks for pointing out it should have come with two. I will go back and challenge them on this.

[Update] My Audi Centre have now agreed to supply an AMI mini-USB cable FOC. They said they were aware of the statement in the Pricing & Specification Guide about two cables, but have only ever supplied the one iPod cable and have never been challenged on it before. Likely storey, not!

skibuddy
26-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Picked up my AMI mini USB cable today. Glad I didn't have to pay for it as all I can manage to do with it connected to my Samsung GalaxyS is charge the phone. The MMI won't recognise the phone as a media source, not even when the android USB setting is set to Mass Storage Device or even Media Player.

nealeb
27-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Mine came with two cables; Apple and USB. Can't remember which colour is which but according to other posts here, the Apple cable was the wrong one. Went back to the dealer the same afternoon and he went down to the spares department and swapped it for me happily. However, both cables only get used for charging phones so I'm not sure what other functionality is there. I shall try to remember to see if my Galaxy S2 will serve up media files but I shall have to find out how to get them on to the phone first...

robob123
17-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Apologies for stirring old thread, but did people get free cables with the basic music set up or was this what ami was specified?

MFGF
17-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Apologies for stirring old thread, but did people get free cables with the basic music set up or was this what ami was specified?

The cables are AMI cables, so wouldn't be applicable to cars without AMI.

Cheers!

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

markchesworth
19-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Can somebody tell me whether Cover Flow on the iPhone works with the red collar cable. I received my new A6 at the weekend and I have tried my iPhone 4S but the only feature that works is cover art on the album itself.
Also when I play a music video from my IPhone there is a 1 inch noise band on the bottom of the video, I have tried 3 different music videos with all the same result.

jaysdabest
18-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi guys. I'm new here in this forum. I have a audi a4 s line 2010 with audi concert stereo. I don't have a ami port in my car. does anyone here know how can I put an ami port in my car.so I can listen to my iPhone or ipod music through the car stereo. and also I do have an aux port inside the arm rest area which doesn't gives a good sound quality. is there any way I can change or replace the aux port. please help. thank you

johnsimcox
18-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Hi guys. I'm new here in this forum. I have a audi a4 s line 2010 with audi concert stereo. I don't have a ami port in my car. does anyone here know how can I put an ami port in my car.so I can listen to my iPhone or ipod music through the car stereo. and also I do have an aux port inside the arm rest area which doesn't gives a good sound quality. is there any way I can change or replace the aux port. please help. thank you
Kuftatec do a retro fit kit for AMI or alternatively you could add a Dension system. Try turning down the volume on the idevice when playing via the Aux port. Likelihood is your are overloading it leading to poor sound quality

johnsimcox
18-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Can somebody tell me whether Cover Flow on the iPhone works with the red collar cable. I received my new A6 at the weekend and I have tried my iPhone 4S but the only feature that works is cover art on the album itself.
Also when I play a music video from my IPhone there is a 1 inch noise band on the bottom of the video, I have tried 3 different music videos with all the same result.

Long time since you posted this and see no one answered. No you cannot do coverflow on the A6 with the standard MMI RMC system, think you do now get it with the MMI High 4G/LTE system. can't answer your question about the noise band on video. Not seen it using an iPod Touch 2G

Bar Shaker
18-11-2015, 05:06 PM
I have MMI High 4G/LTE and just get a list of music content when looking through iPhone music. I haven't seen an option for coverflow scrolling.

Apparently you can 'coverflow' (is it a verb?) through photos, although I'm not sure why you would ever want to view your photos on the MMI.

A6ian
18-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Coverflow works with music on either the SD card, USB stick or Jukebox. Doesn't work with iPhone.