PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Clutch

Alun
03-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi there everyone.

I have a '94 Golf TD which has a slight niggle. The problem is that the clutch is really heavy. It's been like that since I got the car in november last year and I've slowly got used to it. However, it still bothers me because I don't think it should be like that. It's really heavy to use and it has like a creak to it, as though the pedal is stiff.

Has anyone ever encountered such a problem in their VW's?

Would it solve the problem by fitting a new clutch cable? Or could it be something a little more expensive?

Any light on the subject would be great:confused:

j_coupland
11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Sounds to me like the clutch pedal return spring is causing the creaking sound. They do get stiff over time and and used to affect Vauxhall cars before the clutches went hydraulic. Someone once said to me that a spray of 'Mr Sheen' furniture polish does the trick to lubricate it and stop it creaking. Having never tried it myself I don't know how effective that is but beware of getting the spray on the carpet, it can leave nasty stains apparently.

Failing that, try replacing the return spring and/or the clutch cable. Hopefully that should help you. By the way I'm assuming that your clutch is cable operated and not hydraulic.

Hope this helps
John

Alun
11-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi there, thanks for the advice

I did once try it with a bit of WD40 but it was really awkward to get to. It meant trying to get yourself lodged in the footwell whilst trying to bend your arm up and round behind the pedal with a huge tin of spray. Needless to say after alot of faffing around and many cuts and scratches later, the only place I managed to spray was my eye, hands and arms. I failed to get a decent amount (if any) onto the desired area. I will try again though with a smaller tin. Failing that and I'll follow your advice and get the cable changed when it goes in for service.

It is a cable by the way.

john burgess
12-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi Alun, I have same problem and it is almost certainly in the clutch accuating mechanism inside the bell housing. Any quick fixes? What did your problem turn out to be?. Cheers
John

Alun
12-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi there,

Well I've had the car for nearly 2 years now and done over 40,000 miles in it. The clutch is still the same, heavy and creaky. I've just never got round to getting it sorted! Infact it's been that long that I'm now used to it! I must remeber to have another look at it to fix it once and for all!

v6dub
13-08-2007, 09:32 AM
I had the same problem on one of my cars, it tuned out to be a combination of the clutch cable going rusty in side and, and a set of rubber bushes in side the cluch houseing which had perished so had it all replaced, was fine after that, If it is really heavey it can put extra stress on the bulk head and over time the bulkhead splits, i have seen this happen. hope this is of help.

john burgess
13-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your replies. I fixed it. The cable was good but when disconnected and the actuating lever was pushed with a length of wood and a lot of grunting, I heard it creak, so a spray of WD40 onto the top of the pivot post, presumably a bush bearing, made a huge difference. I guess it ought to be greased but something liquid will have to do for now.

I was very cheered to get a response so soon. I have had a couple of Citroens, a BX and a Xantia and an active forum is essenial for home maintenance with them. Bailed me out many times. I even managed to give help myself once.

The Golf is my son's and Ive just bought a 2000(w) 1900 Passat 115 PD which is realy good. Having some cluttch probs with that too so if I'm stilll stuck after getting a manual I'll be posting a help message!

Cheers