PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 TDI Dipstick part no

skymaster
05-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Hi

In response to an earlier thread I called my Audi dealer to ask them for a dipstick for my 2008 Sline 3.0TDI engine (There is the tube with rubber bung in the engine bay). But the guy told me there is no dipstick for my engine type.

Is this correct?

If not does anyone know the part number that I need?

The MMI seldom gives an oil level reading, so would like to instal the dipstick

Soot1e
05-02-2012, 08:40 AM
The MMI will only display an automatic oil level warning if the oil level becomes too low. You can check the level via the MMI just the same as you would if you had a dip stick.

On a level surface:
Switch off warm engine
Switch on ignition again without starting
Wait approx 2 mins
Select function selector button CAR>oil level
Read off display.

No dirty fingers, no oily rag and no wondering if dip stick has touched inside of tube to give false reading.

ScottyUK
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree with Soot1e but it always seems some people have problems with the system...dunno why....or they are worried that if the oil level sensor fails then they may be running low on oil. They don't seem to worry about any of the hundreds of other sensors but they do this one.

skymaster
05-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi

I have tried to read the level off the MMI, but it usually just says 'oil level information currently unavailable' I will try it in the exact sequence you suggest Soot1e and see if it works.

skymaster
09-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I tried reading it as suggested... same nonesense... oil level unavailable...

If anyone knows of the part number for a good old fashioned dipstick that will be awesome...

Pauls898
16-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes I wouldn't mind getting one too, as its another way to check that the engine oil has actualy been changed after a service, as you can pull it out and wipe on a white tisue to see its clean oil? So an order code would be cool for the 3.0 TDI. Thanks

theskyfox
16-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes I wouldn't mind getting one too, as its another way to check that the engine oil has actualy been changed after a service, as you can pull it out and wipe on a white tisue to see its clean oil? So an order code would be cool for the 3.0 TDI. Thanks

I wouldn't waste your time...the oil turns black very very quickly. It doesn't mean its dirty, it means its doing its job of taking cr*p out of the exhaust/combustion process. Its unlikely that you will ever get to see the oil "clean" unless you are using an LPG car.

-Andrew

skymaster
16-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I finally managed to get an oil reading, the red bar was about 70% full... so I dribbled around 150 - 200 ml of oil into the car and tried to check it again... - no information available...

Then later checked it and it was showing 100% of the red bar full... great I thought...

Then while sat in traffic on the way home I tried it again... back down to 70% of the red bar...

A dipstick would be so helpful...