PDA

View Full Version : Question Which TDI engine is best?

suj
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi
I'm looking to buy an A4 2.0 TDI and was about to do a deal on a 55 plate 2.0tdi S Line (140) but then I read up the forum about the BRB engines and have decided to avoid this one as I don't fancy the repair bills.!

Which engines in the TDI range are most reliable ? And is it only 2005 models that suffered with the BRB engine?

Im not too fussed about manual or multitronic either, just want the right car (with the minimul troublehttp://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon6.png)

Appreciate any help you can give.

Suj

jdp1962
09-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Well I'd go for the 3.0TDi all day long, but then I am biased.

allanmb
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I have heard a lot of people saying that the 3.0 TDi is the best diesel engine that Audi do for the A4. Seems to be the most reliable and offers good accelaration/mpg balance.

suj
09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks, I will look into the 3.0tdi, was going for the 2.0 from a economy point of view but like the idea of 6 cylinder.

Decisions, decisions .......

Getaway_Driver
09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
The 3.0TDI is an awesome engine (not that I'm biased of course) :D

jdp1962
10-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks, I will look into the 3.0tdi, was going for the 2.0 from a economy point of view but like the idea of 6 cylinder.

Decisions, decisions .......

Joking apart, it is an absolute stunner. Don't settle for anything less.

John140
10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
The 2.0 BRE engine in 140BHP shouldn't give any troubles to speak of, the oil pump drive issues are behind it and it should also not have a DPF or Piezo injectors.

ntp
10-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Man I will not change my 3.0 for anything. It runs so smooth and has lots of power to play with. :-) I was in the same situation like you and you know what, I though you only buy once so why not get the best. excellent consumption and very very reliable. What I like the most is the gearbox - so much torgue that you simply don't feel the gears changing.

It's a shame that they are really hard to get.

CEL555
25-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Hello all, sorry to jump in here but I too am contemplating which one to go for. I'm trying to convince myself that the 3.0 Tdi economy is not THAT much worse than the 2.0Tdi 170bhp. Has to be a quattro and I'm not keen on automatic.

ntp
25-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Hello all, sorry to jump in here but I too am contemplating which one to go for. I'm trying to convince myself that the 3.0 Tdi economy is not THAT much worse than the 2.0Tdi 170bhp. Has to be a quattro and I'm not keen on automatic.

I don't know if it helps but I live in London (probably the worst for consumption) and so my 3.0l tdi does 12l/100km (20mpg) which is not too bad knowing that I rarely get to gear 4. If I get to travel night time in London this goes down to 23.5 mpg. Crosslights all over the place. Once I am on the motorway though it goes down to 6l/100km (40mpg).

I don't know if these are good figures or bad but they are alright for me.

ntp
25-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't know if it helps but I live in London (probably the worst for consumption) and so my 3.0l tdi does 12l/100km (20mpg) which is not too bad knowing that I rarely get to gear 4. If I get to travel night time in London this goes down to 23.5 mpg. Crosslights all over the place. Once I am on the motorway though it goes down to 6l/100km (40mpg).

I don't know if these are good figures or bad but they are alright for me.

By the way I mapped my engine with APR and that has enhanced the performance and consumption greatly.

CEL555
26-09-2011, 08:25 AM
By the way I mapped my engine with APR and that has enhanced the performance and consumption greatly.

Thanks NTP. 20mpg is quite scary. I am used to driving Subaru Imprezas and I thik I got a little more out of that around town.

40mpg on the motorway is not bad though. Forgive my ignorance but but who are APR? and what sort of cost would I be looking at for a re map?

thanks in advance.

Chris

ntp
26-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks NTP. 20mpg is quite scary. I am used to driving Subaru Imprezas and I thik I got a little more out of that around town.

40mpg on the motorway is not bad though. Forgive my ignorance but but who are APR? and what sort of cost would I be looking at for a re map?

thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi Chris,

APR are probably the best on the market in terms of engine mapping any VAG cars. They have a long history adn are a reputable company. AHve a look online http://www.goapr.com/

In terms of how much, I got it done for around £450 which is expensive in comparison to some other chip tuning companies. Howver, you pay for quality and peace of mind. My car got competely transformed after that. the power went up from 204 hp to 260 hp and the torgue is amazing.

20 mpg is scary I admit but you are driving a 3.0 l engine and it needs to eat. This is a compromise you need to make yourself.

I hope this is helpful.

CEL555
27-09-2011, 01:27 PM
ntp,

Many thanks for your reply. I have done it, picking up a 2005 black 3.0Tdi S line Quattro later this week :D

I'll be looking into the re map for sure. I need to drive it some more to decide if more power is required, but definitely interested in getting the best MPG possible straight away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Terzo/media.jpg

jdp1962
27-09-2011, 04:43 PM
ntp,

Many thanks for your reply. I have done it, picking up a 2005 black 3.0Tdi S line Quattro later this week :D

I'll be looking into the re map for sure. I need to drive it some more to decide if more power is required, but definitely interested in getting the best MPG possible straight away.

Congratulations! It looks a beaut!

Getaway_Driver
27-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Good choice, enjoy the new car!

ntp
27-09-2011, 07:36 PM
ntp,

Well done, it looks exactly like mine. You will love your new toy.

With regards to the remap, I am not advocating here for APR. This is just what I went for since their reputation is great. Whenever and whoever you remap with, don't forget to ask for a trial. You can drive for a while before you decide if you want to proceed with the remap. The 3.0l engine is so good for remapping, you can get a lot more from it.

Enjoy the torque.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk