PDA

View Full Version : Question 2007 Golf GT RCD300 upgrade to RCD510

munch
18-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Hello,

I currently have an RCD300 as factory fitted in my car. I like the look of the RCD510 though especially the DAB version!

I think I will need to get my gateway upgraded (new on on order already :D) and possibly investigate getting a DAB aerial if i go that route. Seriously expensive i hope its worth it!

I was planning on plugging my old bluetooth handsfree in but then saw bluetooth modules P/N 7P6 035 730 for sale. They say they need the white dot MFD.... Does this mean it won't work at all or just won't display through the MFD if i don't have white dot? I have a half height one which isn't much good for anything apart from displaying time/distance!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-SKODA-SEAT-BLUETOOTH-MFD3-RNS510-7P6-035-730-2011-/270780238416?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0bc28a50#ht_2578wt_1173 seems pretty cheap!

Lastly, anyone got an RCD510 for sale?

munch
18-07-2011, 09:02 PM
doing a bit of reading around it SEEMS that you need the MFD to pair the phone in the first place! So I won't be able to use one in my car - can anyone confirm this?

richard@thebrae
26-07-2011, 08:45 AM
An RNS 510 unit has no bluetooth capabiliities until you fit an external modual which is specific to the rns 510, it interfaces with the unit and the canbus to give you full phone capabilities operated by voice (depending on the SW/FW level of your rns 510) or by the touch screen. Your car dictates which unit you can use to get the MFD (in your case a half screen red dot) a white dot only is no good to you, but you can get a red/white combo unit I think.
White dot units are for MK 6 and the other later VW models that have a white instrument display.
An ebay seller (based in Poland generally has a choice of units)
see these sites for further help.
http://vwnavi.com/forumdisplay.php/68-Bluetooth-amp-Telephony-%28114-622%29VSa
http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/index.php/cat/c26_Golf-5---Golf-5-Plus---1K.html
Research it well as it is not a simple matter.
A good alternative for you might be this :-
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?111999-Pics-of-a-Kenwood-dnx520vbt

Andy_D
29-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I thought the op was talking about an rcd 510 not the rns?

I am also thinking about an rcd510 upgrade from rcd300.

Does anyone have a reliable genuine source for the can bus at a good price? Noticed a website called bold-sport has for about usd 70. Anyone have any experience using them?

What's the talk abou white dot / red dot about? Never heard that before?

AndyD

richard@thebrae
29-07-2011, 08:26 PM
You are correct, I have RNS fixed in my head, needs a shake. It is a straight swop, no extra canbus required, but maybe a gateway upgrade to prevent battery drain depending on your car year and gateway revision, you need revision " L " or above, revisions being in alphabetical order.
The red dot /white dot is the colour of your dash display (normaly red for a MK5 and white for a MK6). See this for info on swopping your radio.
http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rcd-510.

munch
30-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi Andy,

I got my gateway from here http://www.skodateile.cz/ - I just emailed the guy skodateile@seznam.cz and for 91 Euros paypal he sent me one. It looks genuine to me although I haven't fitted it yet. It took about a week to arrive.

I have decided to go for a parrot/bury over the official bluetooth solution, because I don't have a full MFD or MFSW so the additional features of the official one will be wasted.

Bizmo
01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Have seen a guide on how to swap these in the how to, but yeah I have a bury bluetooth too

Danb28
21-03-2014, 12:14 PM
HI Munch

I am currently, looking to upgrade my RCD300 (Non MP3 2007) to the RCD 510. How did your install go? Did you need the new CANBUS? How easy was this to install?

The actual 510 unit and dash install looks simple, and I have done 2 MK5 Golfs in the past, but this was only retro units rather than an upgrade. I'm looking to see how others went first before I fork out for all the parts.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks
Danny

J400uk
21-03-2014, 07:23 PM
I would suggest the RNS 310 it also worthy of a look. I fitted one to my 2006 GTI a month ago and didn't require a new canbus. Can be had of eBay for £200 - £250, offers similar functionality to the RNS 510 just with a slightly smaller screen and no hard disk.

Danb28
21-03-2014, 08:32 PM
I would suggest the RNS 310 it also worthy of a look. I fitted one to my 2006 GTI a month ago and didn't require a new canbus. Can be had of eBay for £200 - £250, offers similar functionality to the RNS 510 just with a slightly smaller screen and no hard disk.

Hi

Thanks for your reply, I did consider the RCD310, however I'm looking for a touch screen and when they come in at £150-£200 it seems the better option.

Or actually just re read, you said RNS310 not RCD310, Yes this could be a shout. Thanks for the heads up.

Having read a lot of forums any 3rd gen may need a new CAN BUS if not they may have battery drain issues.

KR
Danny

J400uk
22-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply, I did consider the RCD310, however I'm looking for a touch screen and when they come in at £150-£200 it seems the better option.

Or actually just re read, you said RNS310 not RCD310, Yes this could be a shout. Thanks for the heads up.

Having read a lot of forums any 3rd gen may need a new CAN BUS if not they may have battery drain issues.

KR
Danny

Yeah I originally thought the same regarding any 3rd gen needing a canbus, but looking into it a bit further it's only people with specifically the RCD310 and the RCD/ RNS510 who've reported issues. I fitted this RNS310 a month ago and assumed it would drain the battery but it's proven to be fine so far. On another forum I frequent someone else has done the same again without issue. I realise 2 people doesn't prove it conclusively but it's certainly promising and has the potential to save a lot of money! You also gain a front mounted AUX socket which the others don't have. This got me wondering if VW originally designed this unit for retrofitting to older cars.

Danb28
22-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Yeah I originally thought the same regarding any 3rd gen needing a canbus, but looking into it a bit further it's only people with specifically the RCD310 and the RCD/ RNS510 who've reported issues. I fitted this RNS310 a month ago and assumed it would drain the battery but it's proven to be fine so far. On another forum I frequent someone else has done the same again without issue. I realise 2 people doesn't prove it conclusively but it's certainly promising and has the potential to save a lot of money! You also gain a front mounted AUX socket which the others don't have. This got me wondering if VW originally designed this unit for retrofitting to older cars.

You are right, Aux, SatNav and no need for CANBUS seem to outweigh the benefit of a bigger screen I think... As mine is a 2007 in theory its also a newer CANBUS as well so hope it works. If not I will end up punting it and doing the CANBUS and getting a 510.

Fingers crossed! :beerchug: