PDA

View Full Version : Question 1999 1.4 Golf (AHW) keeps cutting out at low rev's - WHY?

stumped1968
25-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi,
Total newbie here. This sounds similar to a problem i read on here but am not 100% sure, so sorry if duplicated.
My 1999 1.4 Golf, engine code AHW, has developed a problem. After about 10mins driving, when I approach roundabout or traffic queue and am 'coasting', maybe in 2nd just coming off roundabout slowly, or in slow traffic when the rev's get down to 1000, or just below. They drop to nil and it dies. If i can lift the clutch it'll catch (most times). Also if moving in queue, or city traffic <20mph it 'kangaroo's' a fair bit.
It's fine on the 'open' road and at speed, also for that 1st ten mins or so. Or seems to be as the 1st 'slow' bit isn't until about 10 mins from my house.
Really skint at the moment and don't want to put into garage if it's something I can do, or my son and his mate are pretty good.
I'm confident in what bits are what, and have changed many bits over the years, but not at diagnosing the problem.
Any help would be gratefully received.
THX
M

vdubgolf
25-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Sounds like your throttle body needs cleaning!

Then your throttle body will need a Throttle Body Adaptation or Realignment with VagCom/VCDS

Here is a couple of links that might help:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/127279.aspx

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html

Not your model but similar procedure.

Hope this helps.

stumped1968
27-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for that. In this engine it's actually a lot easier than I thought. Remove th Airfilter and you can see the Throttle Body and butterfly. No need for anything else, but I did remove it to get to 'both' sides. The 'bottom side was thick with oily grease - IS this normal??? Also theres a fair bit of 'oil' in my air filter. What could be causing this?

As I said above. I'm pretty good at the changing and fixing, just not the diagnosis of the cause of the problem.
Thanks for the tips, i'm off now to see if it worked.

kevvyb2008
28-05-2011, 01:09 PM
This happened to my mk3 not sure if it will apply to a mk4 but I changed the breather pipes as they were split and cleaned the throttle body,I didnt remove the throttle body just sprayed carb cleaner and used a rag and a screw driver to get right in.

stumped1968
28-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks mate. I have actually purchased a new breather pipe and air filter. They gave me the wrong pipe though - numpties.
Also changed the oil and filter as well, as it's been a while also. Without the new breather it's certainly running and sounding better. I read elsewhere that the AHW engine I have is a bit of a ******d with problem like this as the piston rings are rubbish and there is always excess waste oily gunge as a result, leading to blocked pipes and filtrs. It's something i'll have to watch 'cos my 17yo son isn't getting anything elsem, anytime soon.