PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems?

SammiH
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
:1zhelp:We have had the dreaded "runaway diesel" problem on our W reg 1.9TDii. We've bought a cheap R reg 1.9 TDi for £450, that is tatty, but the engine sounds ok apart from some sensor faults putting it in limp mode, that hopefully we can solve by swapping the sensors from the old one.(Says us optimistically!).
The engines look pretty much the same and a garage has said they will switch them for £250, but that we need to check if there are likely to be any differences they need to be aware of between the TDii and the TDi, or will they go straight across? Please can anyone help us with this? The only thing we have noticed that is different is that the TDii has a Bosch MAF sensor, whereas the TDi has a Piersburg one, but we're assuming that is not a major issue. Please can anyone advise us?:1zhelp:

Sam
12-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Can't say I've ever heard of a TDii engine, what makes it an ii rather than an i?

Is your W plate a facelift model?

Do you know the engine codes of the two engines?

SammiH
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi Sam, Thanks for prompt reply and for the advice on my other thread. You will have to bear with me because I am the reasonably computer-literate but car dim wife, and the one with the spanners in his hand is out - will be back later! We checked for an engine number on the R reg TDi and there isn't one!! The plate has been removed and we suspect it is not the original engine. We haven't got the log book back from being updated yet either, so can't refer to that. The W reg one's engine number is AVG 255322. What is a facelift model? It says TDi on the log book, but has an extra i in red on the tailgate. Just to clarify the W reg one is the engine failue and the R reg one seems to run ok, but is in limp mode with all the faults described in the other thread. Since disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, we now have a starting issue (just to add to all our woes!). The guy at the garage reckons this is a fault on the stop solenoid, which does appear to make a ticking noise when you turn on the ignition. Eventually it will start, but it seems to be getting worse. This looks a nightmare to get off with the engine in the car, so we'll have to change this when we switch the engines. Can't understand why this suddenly started to give problems just by disconnecting the battery though! Maybe the extra "i" doesn't mean anything? Though, hubbie seems to think it might mean it must do??

Sam
13-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Hello dim wife :)

We checked for an engine number on the R reg TDi and there isn't one!! The plate has been removed and we suspect it is not the original engine. We haven't got the log book back from being updated yet either, so can't refer to that.

If it's not the original engine, it could be anything. It could also have questionable service history, but for the price you paid....

The W reg one's engine number is AVG 255322. What is a facelift model? It says TDi on the log book, but has an extra i in red on the tailgate.

If it's an AVG, it'll be a Mk1 Sharan and should look the same as the R reg one - like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/VW_Sharan_front_20070928.jpg/800px-VW_Sharan_front_20070928.jpg

It's an early TDi 110

Maybe the extra "i" doesn't mean anything? Though, hubbie seems to think it might mean it must do??

I can't say I've ever seen a TDii but I don't get out much, perhaps someone else has?

Eshrules
13-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I would find a garage that's capable of doing the job in the first place, £250 is cheap for an engine swap but for a garage not to realise there is no such thing as a tdii is poor.

I'd also be concerned that the 'new' engine has faults of it's own - you're replacing one faulty engine with, potentially, another.

The absence of engine codes - I trust this isn't the VIN plate you're referring to?

SammiH
13-05-2011, 03:57 PM
It is a garage we use regularly for MOTs and is established, so no reason to doubt they are ok, but he admitted he hadn't done an engine swap on a Sharan for a long time, so wasn't familiar with the variations. So, is there no such thing as a TDIi?? Looking at a post by Crasher in response to another query, it sounds like the extra i means that it is a 110 rather than a 90bhp? Admittedly, we are now questionning whether to forget about the engine swap and part-ex both in for something else!

Sam
13-05-2011, 04:49 PM
It is a garage we use regularly for MOTs and is established, so no reason to doubt they are ok, but he admitted he hadn't done an engine swap on a Sharan for a long time, so wasn't familiar with the variations. So, is there no such thing as a TDIi?? Looking at a post by Crasher in response to another query, it sounds like the extra i means that it is a 110 rather than a 90bhp? Admittedly, we are now questionning whether to forget about the engine swap and part-ex both in for something else!

If it's an AVG, it'll be a Mk1 Sharan and should look the same as the R reg one - like this?

It's an early TDi 110

Go me!

Personally, I'd ignore the badges and stick to engine codes on the block (or in the spare wheel well or manual). Badges are a few quid from eBay and can be stuck on anything, by anyone, admittedly a Sharan is probably safe from the Barry Boys, but you never know.

I'm a bit confused (:p) on which car has which engine but if the one coming out the donor car (R reg?) is of unknown origin, I'd be a bit wary.

Don't forget (he says as he opens another can of worms) that the Sharan shares pretty much everything with the Ford Galaxy (Ford use their own gearboxes) and SEAT Alhambra so you have a lot more scope to find a half decent engine.

martin1810
13-05-2011, 07:02 PM
The only way to be sure an engine swap will work is to use the same engine code from the same year and model. If you don't, you will have problems with matching up the sensors and engine control units (ecu). This is fine when you are DIY, but not funny when you are paying a garage to sort the problems. I would not start swapping engines unless the garage offer a fixed price and a guarantee that they will finish the job. Like that's gonna happen.:biglaugh:

SammiH
17-05-2011, 09:38 AM
We have decided against the engine swap and to cut our losses! We're part-exing the tatty runner in for another car and are trying to flog the tidy but blown one. Someone came last night to see it and said they might be back today - buying it for a relative in Poland! Got £350 for the runner off the other car, and asking £600 for the non-runner. Let's hope the next car lasts more than 3 months! Won't mention the make on here as it's not VW!
Thanks to everyone who offered advice - this is a great forum!

Sam
17-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Very wise decision.

What have you got instead, don't worry, we have a swear filter :)

SammiH
17-05-2011, 10:52 AM
We're getting a M**c**es C250TD Auto. W reg, 65000m FSH. Thanks for your help on coming to the decision.

Hex69
17-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Very wise decision.

What have you got instead, don't worry, we have a swear filter :)

*** - it's not working. :p

Sam
17-05-2011, 12:40 PM
We're getting a M**c**es C250TD Auto. W reg, 65000m FSH. Thanks for your help on coming to the decision.

I'd much rather have the C Class than the Sharan, good choice :)

SammiH
19-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Before signing off from the forum, I thought I would share a little poem with you all. Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts. It's called: An Ode To VW. Please read the bit after the * in a broad Bristolian accent.

Our first was a Volkswagen Golf,

A “C Formel E” was its type;

Reliable and economical….

If you believe all the hype.

Most of the time it was running -

A nice car to drive, to be sure,

But, it used to stop for no reason

And we never did find the cure

For a while we steered clear of Volkswagen,

But time heals and memories fade.

A Sharran TDI caught our eye,

And we had a Skoda to trade!

After three months of trouble-free driving

Reliable starting no joke,

It became a “runaway diesel”,

And it died in a white puff of smoke.

Sean said *“I’ll gets you anuvverr,

It’s ta’y, but runs like a dreeam,

An, if you swaps them two engines,

You’ll ‘ave a perfeck machine!”

So, into our lives came this poor soul,

Had a hard life, with dents all around.

No windows working with one stuck half open,

But engine apparently sound…

Up the M5 we just had to try it,

But in limp mode the revs were kept low.

Accelerator pushed to the limit, but

Past sixty it just would not go.

A garage deciphered the fault codes

And believe me there were quite a few!

An engine swap out of the question –

Too expensive, and risky to do.

We looked at this heap on our driveway,

Jon had a fond look on his face,

I said “But I can’t reach the pedals,

‘Cause the drivers’ seat’s stuck in one place!”

Both cars had to go, we decided.

We just could not cope with the stress.

One is an export to Poland,

The other is to be a part-ex!

So how come VW has a fanclub?

‘Cause if you read the forums it’s clear

That contrary to reputation

Our experience is not actually that queer.

We’ve had better Toyotas and Volvos,

And Peugeots and Citroens too,

Our next car will be a Mercedes,

Oh yes, and we’ve got a Daewoo!

By Sam Hibbs

andy e
22-05-2011, 02:55 PM
class :notworthy