PDA

View Full Version : Solved 2007 2.0TDI Multitronic - Engine Shake/Judder on Hot Start

jeboa
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Open to any suggestions here!

My car has covered 80K miles and had a new gearbox 10k miles ago. The wrong oil used during service, and the box was replaced FOC by the (excellent, and honest) independant that carried out the service.

For about the last 5k miles it has developed quite a violent rattle when starting from hot. It never occurs when cold, and increases in severity depending on how soon after stopping the engine you start it again.

The closest thing I can equate it to is a broken engine mount. However, there is NO problem at all when driving or starting from cold. 'Gearchange' (CVT - so more belt moving than gearchagne) is as smooth as normal. No noise/judder under cruise or during acceleration.

Took it back to the independant and he has quoted <>£800 for dual mass flywheel replacement. Thing is, it doesn't seem to match any of the 'known' problems with a dual mass flywheel.

Anyone had any similar experience, or got any other ideas?

shazbat
07-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi,

I have similar issues - no new gearbox though - nobody else out there experienced this or offer any guidance?

Cheers,

Shazbat

wolffie
08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi, my car seems to have the same issue. When warm/hot, when I try to restart the engine, it shakes for a second violently then remains idle or stops. I`ve heard some guys changed the battery and solved the problem. Have you found a solution so far?

a8 tech
08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
change the flywheel as this is normally the problem

shazbat
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
It's an expensive fix - is there a definitive test/symptom or even better a VCDS fault code to look for? I'd hate to go to the expense of this and find it's still an issue!
Would value your input...

Cheers,

Shazbat

wolffie
09-07-2011, 10:11 AM
It's an expensive fix - is there a definitive test/symptom or even better a VCDS fault code to look for? I'd hate to go to the expense of this and find it's still an issue!
Would value your input...

Cheers,

Shazbat

Hi, Shazbat I thought you solved the problem since your first post was in april. No, the VAG-COM scanner returned that everything is fine at my car (Golf MkV 1.9 TDI 105 HP). Still my battery is a little tired, the measuring device stated: "Battery change recomended" . I`ve searched for this issue and the most successful cure seems to be replacement of the battery with a new one (at least 72 Ah for 1.9 diesels). Don`t know how to explain that but seems to work. Let me quote from another guy with the same problem:
"Hi wolfie.
Mine and sahar problem happened once the was hot and restarted whilst warm. The
engine did shake violently and make a very bad noise but it did not stop it did
always start....well mine did anyway.
I thought it was the starter motor and sahar had a part of his gound down (dont
know what bit) by a garage and they probably re-greased it while it was
apart...and his was ok.
I stripped down my starter and bought a used replacement and it did not sort the
problem. I accidently cured mine when I got a new battery.
If you want to try something for free try cleaning and regreasing your starter
if you can. After that measure you battery voltage see how that is.

hope this helps.."

As you see the guy did sort it out. I have similar answers on a forum in my country: replace the battery. Still, some warned me that may be just a temporary solution as the power of new battery masks underlying problems. Other succeses were on replacing the engine starter (very expensive :( ) and some claiming that the engine needs software remapping of some starting values as the cold starting fuel mixture differs from hot starts fuel mixtures. Anyway the problem seems to be related on this axis: weak battery - worn starter - bad reporting sensor of engine temperature - resulting in a wroong start.
Let me know if you find a definitely cure, as I will do the same. (sorry for bad english I hope you can understand what I`ve wrote).
My email is vallylupu@yahoo.com (if you want to write directly). This forum won`t allow even to PM if you don`t have at least 10 posts. ***? I am supposed to invent 10 posts just to earn the right to PM other user?

shazbat
09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Battery you think - interesting...

To A8 Tech,

What are your thoughts on this - I know you know your onions when it comes to Audis - would appreciate your thoughts.

Shazbat

a8 tech
09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
if the cranking rpm is below 270/250 rpm then the injectors will not open so test the amperage of the starter under cranking and rpm speed (weak starter or battery or poor high resistance at the earth or 50 supply cable)

you can alter the ecu file if you have access to remap software for fuelling when warm in relation to crank degrees but this is not recommended and ruling out the basics would be my advise

if the noise is a clatter then it suggests the dual mass flywheel (mulititronic has this as well as the manual transmission)

also if the engine fails to start and is then followed by lumpy idle and white smoke then coolant is entering the combustion chamber

this caused by either a leaking egr cooler or a fracture in the cylinder head

so does it start first time and clatter > flywheel

or does it take a few cranks > low rpm or cylinder leakage

these are just some common issues and there are more but need specific description

shazbat
09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks for replying so promptly.

I'll warm her up and try to figure out which of the 2 it is.

Will post back with findings.

Again, thanks for your input - appreciated..

Shazbat

alanscottgraham
16-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Sorry to drag this one up but I am having exactly the same issues on my 2006 A4 2.0tdi.

Did you manage to solve this anyone?

shazbat
16-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Nope, still there, I suspect its the flywheel, but its an expensive fix, and not sure I have the appetite for it, so currently thinking about chucking it in as part exch against a Lexus.
Previous A6 Avant had Multichronic/Clutch issues also - Shame really, Nice cars, but have more than their fair share of fundamental deign flaws...

Shazbat

jeboa
16-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Still the same problem here!

Extremely strange, since I have probably covered >20k miles since this first started nearly a year ago.

The strange thing is - when cold, the engine starts absolutely perfectly - as it did when new.

I understand the tolerances involved when things warm up, but sometimes it's a violent judder and other times just a small judder.

The same as Shazbat - I'm thinking of a part-ex, but am concious of part ex'ing a car with a known problem - and I would not at all feel comfortable selling on knowing it has a problem.

Two independents I have taken it to have both quoted it as the dual mass flywheel, and the price seems to be £700-800 quid to replace. If I was 100% certain this would fix the problem I would go for it, but I think there's a risk it'll still be there afterwards.

Not sure about the battery - it's the same one as from new, but it was -3 degrees outside this morning and the engine turned over and fired up straight away, so would say that isn't a problem.

Just had my second EGR (first failed at 47500 miles and the second at 95000 miles) which apparently is now a modified part which shouldn't fail as quickly. Could have done without that £370 expense, but aside from that the car has been pretty much faultless.

jeboa
17-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Biting the bullet.....

...having a new Dual Mass Flywheel fitted on Friday at my local independant - will let you know how it goes.

I'll see if I can get some photos of the one that is removed also. I suspect you won't be able to see anything outwardly, but you never know.

jeboa
21-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Collected car this morning and had a look at the faulty Dual Mass Flywheel. Although it looked fine, the actual operation of it was knackered. The two main 'Mass' parts were not connected in the right way, and there was a massive amount of play/movement compared to the new part. So for me a new DMF was definately the solution.

All in about £900, so expensive, but I dread to think what would have happened if it got any worse.

For the multitronic there is no 'pattern' part available (from LUK, etc) so you have to buy a genuine Audi item - which is pricey in comparison. However, this is cheaper than a new multitronic box, which is what you'll be looking for if the DMF explodes through your gearbox!!

shazbat
01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Jeboa,

So this has definitely fixed your issue?
I'm still contemplating whether I should take the hit on this fix - or on the trade-in value, either way its gonna cost me :-(

Cheers,

Shazbat

jeboa
01-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Completely fixed the issue.

I guess you might be lucky and walk away from a dealer with a PX without them noticing. I thought about this, but what do you do if the car you purchased from them has a problem??

Most dealers would notice the problem if they checked the car, and then they're just going to knock off £800 - £1000.

There's also the fact that every time you get in the car you're playing the Russian Roulette, and anytime soon the flywheel could come apart and the parts introduce themselves to the inside of your multi-tronic and crankcase - can't imagine that would be cheap!! I know for a fact a new multitronic is £4500+

a8 tech
01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
you could hit the thanks button on my post as well, seeing as I pointed you to the repair from your symptoms and therefore saved you wasted time and money

shazbat
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I think I already did on 09-07-2011, but there's another one...

leecool
22-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi you guys, hope any of you can help me as I'm close to driving my A3 off a cliff!
I have a 2007 2.0 TDi Sportback (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0060LYRM0/) 140bhp BKD engine. Not too long after owning the car which was bought April 2011, the engine developed a judder & rattle on startup just before it fires up. The car incidently drives flawlessly.
It was doing my head in so I took it into an Audi dealership after hearing horror stories that there were problems with certain injectors. They didn't tell me that only the 170's suffered from this oh - no!, yet they went ahead & did the diagnostic anyway costing me £107.50. Long story short, they said my EGR needed replacing. But on inspecting the printout it said no communication with EGR.
I was pointed in the direction of an Ex Audi mechanic who told me that the printout is wrong & the reason for the non comms of the EGR is because it is vacuum operated & not electronic like on some other models.Your EGR is fine he said.
Anyway, he turned the car over a few times & heard the rattle & felt the judder. He said it's your Dual mass flywheel (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dual mass flywheel), it's f**ked. So I got him to replace the flywheel & timing belt for me.
After a few start ups the fault started again! not so violent as before tho! I took it back to him & iterated that it was back. He said it could be the starter motor, on the 140's the armature windings can fail & give the starter motor a stop go - stop go type of rotation causing the starter to snatch at the flywheel (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=flywheel). So I had him replace that also! When I had the car back he tested it over & over, in front of me & no judder.
Hoorah I hear you say!
Sadly no! The judder is still there, but only occasionally now & even less violent than the 2nd time. It really just does your head in!!!!
I'm £1070.00 to the bad & suicidal. Fair enough he came to my home with (Audi's own diagnostic laptop that he was loaned, sssh) he ran a diagnostic there and then. The only red flag was that my synphony stereo was not coded correctly, yet I've not had 1 problem with it Nothing, no faults at all!
I just do not know what to do now, I'm outa cash & outa ideas. What else can it be?
Please please can anybody help?http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/images/smilies/blownose.gif

a8 tech
24-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Check cranking rpm against fuel pressure and quantity
Reset valve timing via mvb 04 set as close to zero as possible
Sounds like combustion issue

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

leecool
25-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi there A8 Tech, spoke to my Audi tech & he said the following.

You don't set valve timing through MVBS. Mvb measure value blocks for data viewing.

Don't know if this is anything to go by.
cheers

a8 tech
25-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Lol he is obviously clueless then
Service setting via locking pins to check the setting you use mvb 4
Anything between -2.5 to 0 will ensure smooth running in the exhaust cam
If you have dpf avoid this setting as the dpf will struggle to reach its optimum temperature due the exhaust cam angle change
Mvb are there for advanced diagnostics and real time feedback
It sounds like your technician has yet to understand this hence why he is a tech and not a diagnostic tech or master tech

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

Hoho
22-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I have the same problem with 2007 TDI multitronic 75,000 miles. Has anyone changed a flywheel and solved the problem?
My problem started immediately after major cam belt service. Battery change sounds worth a try as flywheel option is very expensive.

leecool
24-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi there Hoho , to try & solve the judder on startup (cold or hot) I have changed my timing belt, my dual-mass flywheel & my starter motor, this has improved the judder but NOT elimnated it. I am gutted! £1200 gone! This was an Audi tech doing my car too & not a 2 bit garage.
What symtoms are you having & is it the 140 DSG like mine or the 170?
I wrote to Audi & they said they would investigate it, they came back saying that it's not a known fault & they couldn't help me. Try writing to them via the website & tell them of your woes. Go into detail too!

Hoho
24-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi leecool. Mine is a 2007 2 litre 140. I notice this model crops up a lot with this problem! This big service and cam belt change was done by Audi main agent Caffyns in Eastbourne. No problems prior to service. It starts fine when cold but judders on hot start. Have complained to Caffyns and they say they'think' the flywheel is the problem and it would take £500 labour to drop the gearbox and find out!! With no guarantee of success.
I am not convinced by the flywheel theory and your experience supports that and nobody can explain why all is well on cold start.
I like the comment on an earlier thread where a battery change helped. He also suggested that on hot start the engine management system changes the injector programme - if this is combined with low torque from the starter it could cause problems and that sounds plausible.
There have been posts saying the battery change solves the problem. I have only had the car 10 months so don't know how old the battery is but I think I will try something.
Audi have been very unhelpful and say it is nothing to do with their service but for me it is too much of a coincidence!

a8 tech
24-06-2012, 04:29 PM
look at the fuel quality and look at the valve timing angle

look at cranking speed when warm and voltage drop

On older models a simple change to the ecu code for manual or auto changes the ecu cranking speed window and it was found that if the fault resolved after changing the drivetrain code the starter was at fault

Also confirmed by a drop in rpm via measured value block feedback

leecool
24-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi again Hoho, I haven't heard much about this fault on other 140's to be honest. I'm glad, well not glad but other 140's are affected from what you say. Audi said they've never heard of it before (lying b******s).
I hadn't had my car long when it started either, have had it just a year now,mine is 2007 too! As this was my 1st Audi I wasn't aware of what may be causing my shudder & rattle on startup. I heard of the injector issue & I took my car to Swansea Audi, they knew the symtoms & they knew that I wanted my injectors inspected. Audi didn't do this, they performed an engine diagnosis instead. They found nothing wrong & put on the worksheet that I needed a new EGR valve, even though they couldn't communicate with it because mine is vacuum operated & not electroninc. ***? They charged me £107.50 for this & I didn't even ask for it! They didn't even try & find out what was causing the judder.
Unhelpful useless waste of time is what they are, it stinks!:zx11:
When my car shuddered I got like a metallic rattle from the area where the flywheel is situated. It was really bad to the point that I scared a woman shitless as she walked in front of my car lol! After the flywheel change, it has calmed down a bit. But £1200 should cure any engine of any knocks & rattles eh!
A8 tech really seems to know his onions, I wish he lived near to me so he could take a look. Explain fully your symtoms & he may be able to help you. All the very best!:beerchug:
Leecool

Hoho
29-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi leecool and A8 tech.
Well done a bit more investigation with some limited success. I had my local garage put a boost battery on the car and it pretty well solved the problem on hot start.
I therefore installed a new heavy duty Bosch battery and it is still a bit better but not as good as the boost. The RAC man who fitted the battery said he has seen problems with these dual mass flywheels (not particularly Audi) but not on start up usually on gear change. He had one fail on his own van and it it made a lot of noise and was a non runner! I am at a loss what to do now - nobody can explain why it only happens on hot start and I wonder if it will fail suddenly and permanently. Very worrying. Hoho

jimfitton
29-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Hoho,

I'm in Eastbourne too, and noticed a judder when changing down at low revs. Wonder if we might have the opportunity to meet and compare judders! Mine has done 78k, but had a DMF replaced at 38k.

Mine occasionally wants to kangaroo at low RPM, but only when slowing and changing gear, such was when coming from a main road and turning into a side road for example. Feels a bit like it wants to stall, but you can drive through it, and it lasts a couple of seconds.

I can't guarantee when it will happen, nor can I always replicate it when I try.

a8 tech
29-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi leecool and A8 tech.
Well done a bit more investigation with some limited success. I had my local garage put a boost battery on the car and it pretty well solved the problem on hot start.
I therefore installed a new heavy duty Bosch battery and it is still a bit better but not as good as the boost. The RAC man who fitted the battery said he has seen problems with these dual mass flywheels (not particularly Audi) but not on start up usually on gear change. He had one fail on his own van and it it made a lot of noise and was a non runner! I am at a loss what to do now - nobody can explain why it only happens on hot start and I wonder if it will fail suddenly and permanently. Very worrying. Hoho

if you contact a remap company you can map the warm start problem for cranking rpm/fuelling to resolve this

or find out if the cranking rpm is dropping off causing the injector time frame to alter (dwell) and not open

Hoho
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Back in circulation now. Still got problem with car and Audi being distinctly unhelpful! Do you want to meet? HOHO

leecool
06-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Meet?

Hoho
14-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi Leecool,
I am still having big trouble with Caffyns Eastbourne who are most unhelpful in solving this problem. Give me a call on 07717223978 and also anyone else who issuffering.

leecool
15-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi there, I am getting this short shudder then ignition on either hot or cold start! I have replaced the DMF + starter motor so far. Car has been into Audi for a new rear sensor + bearing recently, yet they can find no faults with the car & are clueless as to why my car does this.
I had written to Germany asking them about my shudder problem & they answered:- We have not been made aware of this problem previously & do not believe it to be a widespread issue as you have reported. Therefore we are unable to provide any assistance at this time. Did I expect any? No!
56 plate A3 2.0 TDi 140 /BKD /8PA Am into the car for £2200 since buying it in June 2011. I am well sucked off to say the least!
I hope this may help as I have replaced the parts mentioned on here & there has been no change!
Yet beware! We all drive differently & cars react & fail differently because of this. We need a super-tech guys! HEEEEEEEEEElP

gupsterg
15-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Has any one had ECU software update/checked... injector stuff via remap company,etc that A8 advise...

Hoho
15-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Leecool,
Do I understand you correctly that you have replaced the dual mass flywheel and you still have the problem? Are you dealing with Audi Eastbourne (Caffyns) because they are telling me to replace the DMF and all will be well! I'm beginning to think this is a known fault that Audi don't want to admit to as it might lead to a general recall.
I hope A8 reads this as I would like to hear what he thinks!

white.akita
10-09-2012, 01:05 AM
i have the same problem but only occasionally when warm, most of the time it starts perfect, but the odd time the engine clatters very loudly and the engine dies, upon restarting its fine !

white.akita
10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
can anyone shed any light on a probable fix please ?

gupsterg
11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Not that I know answer, but are you able to add info about your car?

I'm assuming its 2007 year, mileage, service history (car & gearbox)

Maybe then someone can comment...

Saw a great article on multironic gearbox's in this months Audi Driver where they show some internals/parts/issues :Blush:

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg629/gupsterg/Audidriversep.jpg

white.akita
12-09-2012, 11:27 AM
2006 a4 2.0 tdi sline 140bhp avant, i know im in the a6 section but its the same engine and its quite common in the 2.0tdi so im asking on all forums to try and find an answer.

JonathanBell
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi there, I also have this problem with my A4! Replaced the injectors and injector harness but made no improvement. Has anyone considered the cam shaft sensor? I would of thought that a error code would be recorded if it was this any comments anyone?

white.akita
14-09-2012, 04:09 PM
can anyone shed any light on this please ?

leecool
28-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Sorry to drag this one up but I am having exactly the same issues on my 2006 A4 2.0tdi.

Did you manage to solve this anyone?

I also have been having this problem, but mine is hot or cold. So far I've had new DMF, new starter, new timing belt, new battery. Nothing has fixed my issue. I've written to Germany only to be told that they haven't had complaints of this so they are unable to help. B******s!
I'm at a loss :-(

Scotty0159
26-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Re: 2007 2.0TDI BRE Multitronic - Engine Shake/Judder on Hot Start
Hi, I'm new to this forum and i do realise this is an old post but i was wondering if you/anybody solved the problem with the Hot start issue, had my Audi A4 2.0TDi 16v Multitronic, Engine code BRE, S-line now three years and soon after i purchased it, it started to develop this problem only on Warm start, I spoke to my local garage ( who i trust completely) he's first thoughts were DMF, but said if i could live with do so, unless anytime soon i needed a new clutch, three years on, I 'm looking to sell it on, but it still has the same problem, it still has the same battery from new, and has been service regularly with a new Cam belt and tensoners at 78,000 miles the car has now cover 92,000 miles. The only other problem with the car was a new EGR valve which was replace 18 months ago, please any suggestions before i spend good money on the DMF replacement.

marvo737
27-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Re: 2007 2.0TDI BRE Multitronic - Engine Shake/Judder on Hot Start

Hi, I'm new to this forum and i do realise this is an old post but i was wondering if you/anybody solved the problem with the Hot start issue, had my Audi A4 2.0TDi 16v Multitronic, Engine code BRE, S-line now three years and soon after i purchased it, it started to develop this problem only on Warm start, I spoke to my local garage ( who i trust completely) he's first thoughts were DMF, but said if i could live with do so, unless anytime soon i needed a new clutch, three years on, I 'm looking to sell it on, but it still has the same problem, it still has the same battery from new, and has been service regularly with a new Cam belt and tensoners at 78,000 miles the car has now cover 92,000 miles. The only other problem with the car was a new EGR valve which was replace 18 months ago, please any suggestions before i spend good money on the DMF replacement.

I have a A6 2003 1.9 Diesel CVT that had the dreaded judder on hot starts, new DMF fixed it straight away, it would rattle noisely when cranking only when hot and was fine when cold. Now spins over much quicker and no noise.

Only 85,0000 miles on the clock!! by the way.

dln6376
27-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I've had this issue on 2 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. A new DMF completely resolved the problem on one but wasn't quite a successful on the other which I feel is still noisier when started hot.

Stevi3
16-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Hello, new here. A friend of mine currently the same problem on his A4 Tdi 2.0 Auto. He has changed the starter, dual mass flywheel and is in the garage today getting mapped to see if this will finally clear the dreaded shudder problem. I'll post back in a bit to let you all know if this solved his warm start issue. Stevie

Aqib Khan
04-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Hello Stevi3, I'm just wondering, did the ECU remap fix the shudder on warm start?

Stevi3
04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Hello Aqib, Well it has been over 3 weeks now since he got the car mapped for the warm start problem and it seems to be going as the car should. He has mentioned no problems to me regarding it and all seems money well spent. He is out over £800 from changing various things and the car has been with 4 different garages.

I recommended a polish garage to him as he needed some other work done to the car and I went with him to leave the car down, I just happened to explained the shudder to the mechanic and by luck he new exactly what the problem sounded like and had the software to fix the problem.

roy_rajat
07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I too have had this problem of engine juddering at hot start right from the time I bought my Audi A6 2.0 multitronic. It has only done 65K and has recently had timing belt and water pump changed at Audi. I had posted sounds of the engine in a different post. Audi has been recommending DMF replacement but I am dreading what if this is not the case. I am now due to go on a vacation on my car and I am dreading what if something bad happens. I dont seem to have any problem whatsoever when the engine is started from cold. Stevi3 where is your polish mechanic based? Also, people who have had thir DMF fixed from indy what was the cost?

Aqib Khan
07-08-2014, 05:11 PM
i was talking with someone who does ECU remapping and hot fixes and told him about the problem and that some people were replacing their DMF and he told me that automatic musti trip tonics don't have DMF's and instead they have torque convertors so wouldnt that say that the replacing a DMF isn't even an option anyway?

Stevi3
07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
The remap wasn't that expensive for my friend, it only cost him £60 so if it was me I'd go that route first. The mechanic the friend used is based in northern ireland.

roy_rajat
08-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Going to NI would not be an option for me (living near London). I have heard that before in this forum that Multitronics dont have DMF but have torque converters. However, I have been told that mine needs DMF replaced by the Audi dealer and they surely would know what is what. How different is torque converter from a DMF? Also, I saw in the previous posts that there is a way of checking if the DMF is on its way out without needing to open the engine.

lgd
15-07-2015, 02:27 PM
I also have a starting problem on my 2.0 TDI pd 170hp, more noticable on cold start (first start in the morning).
Difficult start with hesitation/shake, it's very similar to this video but still not as ugly as the second attempt you can watch at the end.
Does this sound like DMF? Battery is 3 months old. Bat drain is 1a with everything OEM and closed which seems a little high...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x46mGyR3vPk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x46mGyR3vPk)

Thanks!!

tapaska
09-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Hi
Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences which left some in this forum poorer and not necessarily happier as I could gather. I have a Octavia 1.9 TDI with a BJB Engine
I too have the same problem. Cold It starts fine. Tried using a new 74 DIN battery, but the problem stayed. One garage told me to change the timing belt and kit, another guy told me it must be on account of the oil in the intercooler, and that needs to be cleaned. Another garage asked me to get the starter overhauled but would not Guarantee that the problem would go away.
Like inmost of the above posts I too do not have a problem with a cold start.
Its when its hot that the problem occurs and at times it feels as if the engine is going to come off.
The ECU remapping I would like to try and would request help on how it is done and what values, cold and warm need to be checked/restored.
Feel lucky I discovered this forum.
Thanks

RobTA6
11-03-2016, 03:15 PM
The remap wasn't that expensive for my friend, it only cost him £60 so if it was me I'd go that route first. The mechanic the friend used is based in northern ireland.

Hi
Would love to know the name of the guy in Northern Ireland - I'm an Irish A6 owner - i'm sure I will need him in the future !

niall campbell
13-03-2016, 11:59 AM
guys have you disconnected the fuel temp guage below the filter ?

just wondering if it works fine at cold weather , then not when car is warmed up ................. it may be that the fuel temp sender unit is away, by disconnecting the fuel temp, the car ecu will or should in theory revert to cold start defaults

same for water temp sender unit

jayd70
15-03-2016, 12:17 AM
I have an A6 C6 2.0 TDi BRE engine, manual transmission. On cold first thing in the morning, it starts & idles as it should. Once the car is heated up, however, at idle there is a degree of juddering, but no metallic noises (DMF problem). I find if I increase the engine revs with a very gentle push on the throttle, (barely noticeable on the rev counter) the juddering evens out. I'm wondering if doing this it's simulating a cold start (increased revs) & hoping it is a software issue. I was contemplating remapping or chipping the car to circa 180 PS, do you think the remap would cure this problem?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

noideaaboutcars
11-09-2016, 06:12 PM
I also have a 2006 A4 Avant multitronic which does this when the engine is hot.......never cold.

geoff eeles
19-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Hi all. After reading all this thread I had the same issue with hot start ups. I took it to an Audi Indy who said it is probably the DMF. But he couldn't change it for a month as was booked up. I got a new DMF. From eurocarparts as had a good discount code and got a garage to fit it. A jaguar specialist so I guess they weren't some dodgy mechanic with a hammer and spanner. Anyway, still have the same issue but the engine judders, but not clanging noise.
Question is, for the DMF to be fitted, do you need any special Audi training or specialism to fit it, or can any competent mechanic do this as a "run of the mill" "bread and butter" "common" piece of car mechanic work?

leecool
19-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Hi there guys. I wrote a letter 2 Audi in Germany about this issue! They said they hadnt heard of this issue and couldnt offer any help at this time! Yeh right!!
If all the owners are suffering this issue to get a signed petition or each of you write to Audi in Germany and complain to them. Its rife amoung the Audi range. Its just not right to take your hard earned dough and just ignore you. So many faults with Audis in general, they shouldnt be allowed on the road! My A3 has cost me over £2000 just in repair fees in just 5yrs

PeterM11
24-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Hi Shazbat
I have exact same issue on my A6 (2007). Great when driving and starting from cold, but pretty major judder when starting when warm.
I was down at my local garage this morning - they said it was the Flywheel and quoted £1,180.
Did you find a cheaper work-around?
Thanks
Peter