PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 Tdi wont start

scottjones924
28-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi there,
I'm having problems with my car starting, went to start it the other day and it just kept turning over without starting, then the engine management light came on flashing. I got the codes read and it came up with: 16705 ENGINE SPEED SENSOR IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL: P03221.
I spoke to the brother in law and he said he's had a few like this that need a relay changing under the steering wheel, so as I tried turning it over I tapped the relay and it started straight away. I bought a new relay thinking it was that, put it in and its exactly the same.

Thinking that it was a loose contact I pushed the cables to the relay and now when I turn the key I can hear the relay clicking and the rev counter sporadically moves.

Anyone had anything like this, and did a new sensor fix it or was it wiring?

thanks, Scott

kenney
28-02-2011, 06:47 PM
The engine speed sensor is not controlled by any relay,it is on the side of the engine,check the wiring to the sensor

scottjones924
28-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks, the relay clicks when I first turn on the ignition and the glow plugs are warming, then once the glow plug light goes out it clicks again, then the relay and rev counter starts going crazy without trying to turn the car over. As you can probably tell I'm a novice at car maintenance, could you give me an idea where the loom is for the sensor and where the sensor is please?

kenney
28-02-2011, 07:29 PM
I need the engine code then

scottjones924
28-02-2011, 07:53 PM
How do I find that out?

kenney
28-02-2011, 08:26 PM
the code is 3 letters abc azf or similar,you will find it in the vehicles serice book,or in the spare wheel well

scottjones924
28-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I've just checked and its BKC. thanks for your help

kenney
28-02-2011, 10:13 PM
front rear of the block behind the oil cooler housing

scottjones924
01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Are the sensors hard to change do you know?

kenney
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
a bit awkward

harltech
06-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi there,
I'm having problems with my car starting, went to start it the other day and it just kept turning over without starting, then the engine management light came on flashing. I got the codes read and it came up with: 16705 ENGINE SPEED SENSOR IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL: P03221.
I spoke to the brother in law and he said he's had a few like this that need a relay changing under the steering wheel, so as I tried turning it over I tapped the relay and it started straight away. I bought a new relay thinking it was that, put it in and its exactly the same.

Thinking that it was a loose contact I pushed the cables to the relay and now when I turn the key I can hear the relay clicking and the rev counter sporadically moves.

Anyone had anything like this, and did a new sensor fix it or was it wiring?

thanks, Scott

Have you changed the correct relay? Off the top of my head i think you are on about the 109 relay?
By the sounds of it there is a possible wiring fault if things have started going crazy after pushing the cables.
Check that there is no corrosion on the relay board and re-check the area of cables that you were pushing.

scottjones924
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for replying, its booked into an auto electricians tomorrow morning. Hopefully they'll be able to find the fault.