PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp bulb keeps blowing

NickPicks
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
My 2000 A6 Avant seems to be fond of blowing the nearside headlamp bulb. It seems to blow about once a month, and when it does, the bulb is all blue inside (like it's been filled with bluish purple paint) and has a crack in the glass.

The offside one doesn't seem to blow very often (about once a year).

I'm using Halfords own brand light bulbs, although the philips super duper nightbreakers didn't seem to last much longer.

Any ideas what I can test to see if there's a reason for it? As far as I can see, the headlamp housing is not loose or vibrating. I haven't put a voltmeter on to see what the voltage at the bulb is yet, or what the quality of the earth is like - I'll see about doing that when I get near an avo meter.

kenney
11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think it has to do with the charging rate,otherwise other bulbs would be also affected,if anything it could be a poor earth or a poor contact on the bulb connector,or too much heat from the bulb causing it to blow

Peter D
11-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Check to ensure the reflector is not loose and vibrating also ensure the bulb is firmly retained by the spring clip. Regards Peter

audia3ire
23-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi, Also have problem of 02 Audi A3TDI blowing both dimmed light bulbs, bulbs lst a few weeks,ran a wire direct from positive of battery to bulb and there is a slight flicker in light indicating that I'm losing voltage somewhere and this is causing bulbs to blow. Contacts are all tight but wires going to bulbs seem to be heating as the yellow is going brown from heater and plastic is melted on connector going onto back of bulb. Any ideas on where to look? Dont think its alternator as the flicker is there when engine is off and only power fromm battery.