PDA

View Full Version : Touran on Top Gear

Touran Man
15-07-2004, 04:47 PM
This weeks edition of Top Gear (15/07/04) featured a look at mini mpvs/tall hatches.
There was a very silly test with the Ford C-Max and the Renault Megane.
Both 5 seaters.
The conclusion was that they didn't offer much over the equivalent 5 seat hatch except some extra headroom.
They then went back to the studio for a quick discussion on the merits of 5/7 seats. Done in front of sample vehicles, including a green touran, an SE I think.
The conclusion they came to was that the 5 seaters didn't offer anything extra apart from a price tag roughly £2000 above the normal hatch.
If your going to buy a mini mpv they recommended going for the full 7 seat experince to get the most out of the car.
That left them with the Touran, the Zafira and the Toyota Corolla Verso.
The Touran was dismissed by Clarkson as having a dull interior which would be like driving round in Eeyor's bottom.
The Zafira was "ok" **said with a sideways look at the camera**
And the Toyota was his choice, even though the drive "was't exactly brilliant" and the engine "was dreary"

Ok ok I'm biased, but why choose a car thats doesn't drive well and has a dreary engine?

For those who haven't seen the inside of a Touran, its not dull.
The whole car is very businesslike.
It has a job to do, which it does very well. It doesn't effect any fancy styling touches. It doesn't have swoops and curves and angles where they aren't needed. It gets on with doing what its supposed to do and it does it very well.
To steal someone else's tagline. "German engineering where you need it most"
All over my car, thats where I need German engineering and efficancy.

An unbiased observer who works for another car company took mine for a 20 mile spin last week and was very impressed.
To me it drives and feels like a hatch.

stuart
15-07-2004, 05:00 PM
The Touran is a very nice well equiped vehicle, and if like every other VAG vehicle or German car in general for that matter it will be very well built.

I have found with Clarkson, anything that costs below about £100K is a load of crap! So us "poor" people drive in rubbish. Tend not to take any notice of what he says now.

Stuart

Touran Man
15-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Yes thats right, I think he's past his best before date as a car presenter,but his other programmes are really good. Especially the "Great Britons" one about Brunel, I can watch that one over and over.

The Touran is well built and solid, it feels like a quality product.

stuart
15-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Yes thats right, I think he's past his best before date as a car presenter,but his other programmes are really good. Especially the "Great Britons" one about Brunel, I can watch that one over and over.

The Touran is well built and solid, it feels like a quality product.Can be a very funny person in the right enviroment, just his opinions of cars for the NORMAL man in the street;)

Stuart