PDA

View Full Version : Important Wet boot !!!!!

bigbri123
10-01-2011, 09:37 PM
AAARGHH !!!!

Well, I have a MK 5 2004 GOLF.

It all started when I started noticing my rear seats were soaking wet !

I was advised to put some silicon round the two black bungs above the rear light clusters due to the fact that sometimes water can get in there. I did this and dried my seats out in the house and this seemed to cure the problem.

However, I have noticed that my boot lining is soaking wet again. (hasn't progressed to the seats yet!. I also noticed that it was a bit soapy.

Is there any way that my rear window washer is somehow leaking into my boot in some way???? Anyone heard of this being a problem !!!!

Thanks all

Regards,

Brian :zx11:

phil miller
10-01-2011, 09:50 PM
passats suffer from this as do the mk4 Golf, i havent had it on a mk5 yet, if you take down the boot cover you will be able to see the washer pipe going into the back of the motor, once you can see it get someone to work the rear wash and see if it leaks

bigbri123
10-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks Phil,

Will give that a go tomorrow.

My Mk 4 ran like a dream with no problems and never any MOT failures.

I must admit my mk5 has been a bit of a let down with loads of little annoying faults ! Don't think they are as well built !

Cheers again,

Will let you know how I get on.

Brian

bigbri123
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Well,

I checked the hose going into the motor, as suggested, and it is not leaking at all.

I found that the leak is actually happening inside the car chassis!!

If you were to use X-RAY vision and look through the pillar above where the fuel filler is. It seems to be leaking inside there. When you operate the rear window wash, it leaks inside there, and dumps lots of water out the bottom of the car, through inside of the boot (where the boot courtesy light is. - amazing it hasn't shorted out !!!!) and then all over my boot lining.

Amazingly some gets out the washer nozzle to the window !!!!!

Any idea's Anybody !!! At my wits end with this now !!!

Wasn't sure if there are any joins inside the chassis somewhere that have split. Don't want to start ripping my interior apart to trace it. Would have to start at the rear airbag area!

Please - Help !!!!!!

Brian

richard@thebrae
12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I have sent you a PM if you respond to it I can help by sending you some schematics. The nearest joint I can see should be above the rear wheel in the location you mention. It is not hard to remove the lower trim (just a couple of hidden torx screws and with luck you will not have to remove the rear piller airbag

tdci115
12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I have had this on mine and sorted under warranty. It was cause by two things. The first being one of the bungs above the light clusters (with the boot open). This was replaced.

There was also a pin hole in the weld at the top rear of the car at the end of the 'rain channel' on the roof.

Before being rectified, it used to slosh about every time it rained, so I imagine it was letting quite a bit in.

bigbri123
12-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks Richard and TDCi 115.....for your responses. Yeah...I had the bung problem as well above my lights. I have fixed that but obviously have a leak somewhere else.

Hopefully Richards schematic will help me.

Thanks all

tdci115
12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
No worries, from what I have seen on here and else where the weld issue I had at the top is quite common. It was coming in there, dribbling down the inside of the rear quarter panel (past the fuel filler) and collecting in the boot and tire well.

Hope this helps.

WorldWideWeb
15-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I have exactly the same problem on left hand rear of my 2004 mark 5 golf.
rear seat is soaked through, up on removing it its clear the water ingress source is on this side and from here it spreads. i took it for a drive and i can hear lots of trapped water within the chassis.

i plan to put a hose on it tomorrow to determine from where it is entering the car, then go from there,

any help from the guys on here would be appreciated.

can the more expieranced posted summarise all the known issues on this subject. i heard some people mention the rear vents are pretty flakey on the M5 versions.

feedback appreciated,