PDA

View Full Version : Please Help pd130 - dreadful economy

shak-b6
15-11-2010, 01:32 PM
guys, recently bought a bora 130 asz engine, had a few boost/smoke problems lately which were gone after a new intercooler, maf sensor, temp sensor - also had a full service on it, all filters and oil.

the car seems to drive alot better than before but seems to guzzle diesel.

i get 26mpg round town, and low 40's on the motorway - really getting to me as i drive quite easy.

i thought it might be the trip computer playing games, i thought ill manually measure it - i put 30quid diesel with a mixture of m/way miles and local it returned only 150miles!:-( :aargh4: :mad:

there has to be something wrong. ive read a few forums with similar issues but no one has the economy as bad as mine but no solutions eigther

no faults present, maybe i could check aspects with vagcom??

Appreciate any help

shak-b6
15-11-2010, 04:00 PM
when i start from cold and set off a few mins later my computer shws 4.3mpg
and very slowly climbs to 26-28mpg under easy driving - the highest its climbed is 46mpg driving at 60 on the motorway without even trying to use the throttle:zx11:

Stoddiegal
15-11-2010, 10:44 PM
guys, recently bought a bora 130 asz engine, had a few boost/smoke problems lately which were gone after a new intercooler, maf sensor, temp sensor - also had a full service on it, all filters and oil.

the car seems to drive alot better than before but seems to guzzle diesel.

i get 26mpg round town, and low 40's on the motorway - really getting to me as i drive quite easy.

i thought it might be the trip computer playing games, i thought ill manually measure it - i put 30quid diesel with a mixture of m/way miles and local it returned only 150miles!:-( :aargh4: :mad:

there has to be something wrong. ive read a few forums with similar issues but no one has the economy as bad as mine but no solutions eigther

no faults present, maybe i could check aspects with vagcom??

Appreciate any help

Im not sure if its much help what im about to say or not.....
I had bad fuel economy on my 2.0L Bora and i found out it was due to my Lambda sensor. Got it replaced and all returned to normal.....However i had an engine light on telling me of this fault. So not sure that is any help to you at all....Sorry:o
Vagcom is a fantastic item to invest in....esp if you have my car which has a continuous engine light on!! Just bought one recently off fleebay and it works a treat....Shame my car doesnt!!!:banghead:

shak-b6
16-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Im not sure if its much help what im about to say or not.....
I had bad fuel economy on my 2.0L Bora and i found out it was due to my Lambda sensor. Got it replaced and all returned to normal.....However i had an engine light on telling me of this fault. So not sure that is any help to you at all....Sorry:o
Vagcom is a fantastic item to invest in....esp if you have my car which has a continuous engine light on!! Just bought one recently off fleebay and it works a treat....Shame my car doesnt!!!:banghead:

Thanks m8, i dont think diesels have a lambda sensor - but i know wot ur saying i had a very similar issue with a petrol civic vti - the sensor was faulty and it use to absolutely drink petrol for fun.

i too bought a cable for vag com, just installed the shareware version today. havnt a clue yet how to check the fuelling side of things or functions which relate to mpg.

any ideas

thanks for the reply

martin1810
16-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Use your cable to run a scan and post the results on here. Poor economy is often the coolant temperature sensor telling the engine it is cold even when it is warm. This does not mean the temperature guage on the dash.

shak-b6
16-11-2010, 08:11 PM
this is what i see when i run a scan Martin:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 1J - VW G/J/B Mk4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,16,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 019 KJ
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 5256
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 01266
WVWZZZ1JZ4W163836 VWZ7Z0D9302549
No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1C0 907 379 M
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Coding: 0019970
No fault code found.

shak-b6
16-11-2010, 08:18 PM
this is what i see when i run a scan Martin:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 1J - VW G/J/B Mk4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,16,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 019 KJ
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 5256
Coding: 00002
WVWZZZ1JZ4W163836 VWZ7Z0D9302549
No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1C0 907 379 M
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Coding: 0019970
No fault code found.

forgot to mention i did previously get a code for coolant sensor, i bought and got a green body sensor fitted since then my previous high idling issue was resolved - but this issue is driving me nuts - today the car was doing 22mpg local under normal driving conditions!

martin1810
16-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Have you calculated the fuel consumption rather than going by the dash read out. It is possible the read out is wrong as the engine is not reporting faults.

shak-b6
17-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Have you calculated the fuel consumption rather than going by the dash read out. It is possible the read out is wrong as the engine is not reporting faults.

yep ive tried this, waited for the light to come on and put 30 pound diesel in - local driving gave me 158 miles before it came bak on. motorway miles are a tad better with 124 miles to 20 pound. i dont drive fast either... the only thing ive realised recently is when i start from cold it hesitates SOME times, perfect on warm starts...and on the first start of the day i do get some white/greyish smoke for a few seconds but thats the only time i see it (smells of unburnt diesel ) when the car is warm no smoke at all.

shak-b6
18-11-2010, 03:01 PM
looking over my car today.. i noticed n/s/r pad has worn excessively compared to the rest - could this possibly be causing the massive reduction in fuel economy? im thinking my brakes may be binding on that side?? do you think that plays a big factor in economy - i dont really feel the car is sticking but i do hear a slight noise when i press the brake pedal lighltly if the car has been stood for a day or so.

is there anything else i can check??

thanks

sps
28-11-2010, 02:46 PM
forgot to mention i did previously get a code for coolant sensor, i bought and got a green body sensor fitted since then my previous high idling issue was resolved - but this issue is driving me nuts - today the car was doing 22mpg local under normal driving conditions!

you say you fitted a new green body sensor,
was this a genuine vw item or a branded one from beru,or febi which are good ones or was it an unbranded, cheap, green one which could be the source of you problem?

shak-b6
29-11-2010, 01:46 PM
you say you fitted a new green body sensor,
was this a genuine vw item or a branded one from beru,or febi which are good ones or was it an unbranded, cheap, green one which could be the source of you problem?

it was a genuine one from vw... :1zhelp:

alastairbax
30-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Recently bought a bora ASZ 130 and im having similar problem. not as bad as you though it seems to average 35mpg with seriously easy driving i can get it up to around 44. Bought two bottles of injector cleaner and put them in with half a tank of diesel. took the car out for a good drive to mix it all up then ran the car in first gear at 4000 rpm for about 1/2 a mile (this was a tip i picked up from a mate who worked on BMW Diesels, sometimes even used 3 bottles)
have seen in increase already showing 45mpg on average driving - will flush the oil and change it at the weekend (service history says it hasn't been done for 14,000) hopefully put it up over the 50mpg mark.
Try the injector cleaner trick two bottle that say "treats two full tanks" and put them both in with half a tank of fuel - take it for a lively 10 min drive then 1/2 a mile in 1st gear at 4000rpm the engine sounds like its going to blow up, but in first its just reving and not under any load so it's fine. All it does is force a high volume of fuel and concentrated injector cleaner through.
On another note only had my Bora 2 days now and the six speed box seems to rev quite high, in 6th gear at 70mph its just under 3000rpm and about 3900 at 90mph it this right? i expected it to be less than this from a six speed box

Volk
30-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Hi I have 115bhp version with six speed at 70 mph mine sits at 2,500 so 3000 does seem a bit high.

shak-b6
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for replies

Alastairbax - im no expert but from what i have gathered
U may have a slipping clutch if your revs shoot up without any major
Increase in speed, mine sits at roughly 2k revs at 70 mph on 6 gear.

My fuel issue still not sortd although better with new injector loom,
Will be doing some more logs with vagcom, but weather makes it impossible
To do anything after work!:mad:

alastairbax
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
the clutch seems fine, it just seems to sit at about 2800rpm at 70 mph in 6th.
there is no disproportional increase in revs under acceleration so i think the clutch is all good.
looks like its had a gearbox change at some point as there is yellow pen writing on the gearbox. i wander if they fitted a different gearbox or ratios.
it pulls like a train from 30mph in 5th.
im thinking of getting a VAG com (i know this prob wont help gear ratios) but could someone tell me a good place to get one, what sort of price i should pay and if there is a specific model i need. also where does it plug in, havent got round to looking for it yet as i've only had the car 4 days.

just had an afterthought - is it possible that they might have fitted the 6spd off a petrol?
ive been looking around other forums and they suggest a tdi 130 with 6spd gear box should be doing just over 2000rpm in 6th gear at 70mph

shak-b6
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
im currently using a restricted version of vagcom, which is free but with limited functionality - its fine for me as im no expert user, you can check quite alot of things with it but cant clear fault codes

i bought a cheap cable about a few weeks ago off ebay seems to work fine for about 15 quid came with the software too... although most ppl would advise not to use these cables..dont know y?

on my bora asz the cable plugs in just under the heater controls, above the ash tray a small plastic panel pulls off and the port sits behind it.

on your note about the injector cleaner - did it make a big difference after u used it and which one did you use?

:beerchug:

alastairbax
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
thanks for the help, yea injector cleaner has added 5-8 mpg but this could be down to me driving slower due to icey roads!
I just used Wynns diesel injector cleaner. you can get it from halfords and most motor factors. even the larger supermarkets stock it in the automotive section.