PDA

View Full Version : suspension problems

smithy602179
24-09-2010, 05:24 PM
hi guys
had new shocks fitted on rear of my 01 passat saloon in feb this yr , since having them fitted i have a gap of at least 4 inches between tyre and wheel arch . also on speed bumps the left side doesnt ride them it seems to just go thump on downward movement , never used to before shock change , anyone got ride height figures and would it be an idea to fit new bump stops or replace with another set of shocks .
old set only 7 months old grrr

yaman
24-09-2010, 07:16 PM
What model passat..S/Sport/Se?

What size tyres?

What make of shocks?

Are bump stops perished?

Top mounts ok?

Axle bushes?

Regards
Jim

smithy602179
25-09-2010, 08:32 AM
hi Jim
these are the stats u asked for
What model passat..S

What size tyres? 205/60/15

What make of shocks? Monroe shocks from C A S

Are bump stops perished? next job on agenda to look at

Top mounts ok? same as before

Axle bushes? replaced 2 months ago

reference to bump stops and top mounts , what should i be looking out for in regards of being perished ?????
strange its only ever left side . but when loaded up with camping gear and doing motorway run its as quiet as when i got it 4 yrs ago . but on local roads (think thats what they call em these days ) its very noisy and heavy on bumps alsmost like theres nowt on back end regarding suspension .

yaman
25-09-2010, 07:01 PM
The gap of 4inches is normal with a S model on 15s.

Monroe are a good make, and should last for years. If you get a faulty new one, it will be bouncy.

If its quiet under load, i would replace the bump stop and top mount,
after checking that everything has been tightened-up from before.

Regards
Jim

smithy602179
28-09-2010, 11:34 AM
jim

icalled the supplier about shocks and he then called monroe direct for me about the prob . answer i got was had i pumped them up and down before fitting them . my answer was "err nope" never had to with previous shocks on previous cars . have u heard of doin that . was also told that worse case scenario for not doin that could be having shock come through boot wing "worried thoughts" . cheers for previous posts m8
trev

ps its an SE passat

smithy602179
15-11-2010, 09:14 PM
well shocks / bushes /top mounts and bump stops all new and still the bloody same . always left side but!!!!!!!! exhaust bracket on exhaust broken but rubber mount still on car .

yaman
17-11-2010, 11:31 AM
exhaust bracket on exhaust broken but rubber mount still on car .

An exhaust that's banging on the floor of the car
could certainly sound something like a worn-out
strut, but it wouldn't feel like it, since the handling
and cornering are unaffected.

Regards
Jim