PDA

View Full Version : Is this part of the engine undertray?

darthweasel
17-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I've recently had my car serviced, and a couple of days later noticed that a piece of plastic spoiler at the base of the front wheelarch liner is loose on both sides of the car. There are two plastic fasteners on each side that appear to be broken.
Is this part of the engine undertray? I'm sure all was well before the service, and the place that did it said that they needed to remove the engine undertray to drain the sump, so I'm wondering if they may have broken the fasteners while working on the car.
I guess the fasteners are cheap enough to buy from Audi?
Thanks.
DW

AxeMurderer
18-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't think the fasteners are anything exotic - after driving through a flood my undertray was scraping on the floor; a local (non-Audi) garage fixed it on the spot and didn't want any money for it, despite having to put it on the ramp.

I did give the mechanic enough for a pint for himself and his boss.

nessy101
20-07-2010, 06:37 AM
I've recently had my car serviced, and a couple of days later noticed that a piece of plastic spoiler at the base of the front wheelarch liner is loose on both sides of the car. There are two plastic fasteners on each side that appear to be broken.
Is this part of the engine undertray? I'm sure all was well before the service, and the place that did it said that they needed to remove the engine undertray to drain the sump, so I'm wondering if they may have broken the fasteners while working on the car.
I guess the fasteners are cheap enough to buy from Audi?
Thanks.
DW

Yes, those fasteners (2 at each side) are used to secure the undertray to the car in the wheelarch area.
The plastic fasteners comprise a plastic block clipped to the undertray and a peg that pushes and twists through the wheelarch liner and into the block to secure the tray.
For a bit of plastic they are quite expensive from Audi, bought some a few weeks ago for the stepfathers Allroad and IIRC they were about £2 each for the peg and block.
By chance the other day I came across this kit on Ebay which seems good value as the component parts are expensive from Audi (eg the metal dzus-type screws are £2.50 each from the main dealer), certainly a lot more than the price for the whole kit here.........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270566076629&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope this helps!

;)