PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 abs BLOWN UP!(oil question)

Housemaster300
14-06-2010, 09:59 AM
What a crap weekend!Got up early saturday morning to fit the rear coilovers on my missus 1.8 Driver all good!
She set off to GSF with me in passenger seat to go get a £6.80 rear wheel bearing and the mains decided to go!!!So with the engine rattling like a battle tank i managed to get home(JUST)

I have no idea why it went,its serviced regularly never burnt any oil and the missus doesnt go over 60mph!
Only thing i can think of is the fact it has done 160k but never mind.
Its all stripped down now and managed to get a 1.8ABS engine with 86k on it for £150 delivered with all ancillaries.

And to top it off some little oiks decided they wanted to nick the wheels on it at 5am this morning only getting disturbed by the cute neighbour across the road!So now ive got to fortify the house and bell it up.I live in a nice area too the little sh1ts!

Anyway my question is,obviously before i bosh it back in the car im going to fit a new cambelt,service it etc but what oil do people think i should use?I used semi synthetic cASTROL 10W40 in the last engine.
Happy to pay up to £30 for 5 litres.

Oh i took the head off this morning and the head gasket had gone between number 1-2 ring.

Crasher
14-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Mains rumble, rods rattle. What you heard was not even mechanical but the sound of extremely bad detonation, this is a common problem on these engines.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/blownheadgasket.jpg

Housemaster300
14-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Well bugger me,i was certain it was the mains,but there was no smoke and it wasnt a gradual thing it just went all of a sudden,after whipping the head off to check for piston slap theres not a whiff of an indication there is something wrong with the bottom end.
So it was the head gasket that went causing number 2 to compress number 1 when it was on its up stroke and vice versa?

Learn something new everyday,ive never come across that before.:Blush2:

And you might aswell of taken a picture of my headgasket as mine looks exactly the same as the one you posted!:o

Rather miffed i could have got away with a headgasket change but hey ho,there was a touch of smoke on start up and it had done 160k so one half its age wont hurt i guess.

Housemaster300
15-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Anyway,any suggestions on a specific oil that would be suitable for the new lump?
Semi or full synthetic?brand etc?
I used to run mobil1 in my zx twinturbo but that was a fully rebuilt engine so i dont think this would warrant it.
Any ideas please?

Crasher
16-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Any decent 10w/40 semi will do.

Housemaster300
16-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Great stuff thanks,well ive read on a lot of forums that vw's like Quantam gold and Synta semi so will give one of these a go,was thinking of using 15w40 as it is an older engine to combat a bit of oil usage if it has any,but will go with your choice as you know what your on about :D

Cheers again crasher.:beerchug:

Crasher
16-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Quantum Synta Silver 10w/40 is what I would put in if I serviced it, I but it is 205 litre barrels.