Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for help. Recently my car has been abit rough when cold and I noticed that the ESP light stayed on. I then noticed the engine light come on. The fault codes I'm getting from VAG-COM are:

Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 CA
    Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1 5629
    Software Coding: 0000172
    Work Shop Code: WSC 06435
    5 Faults Found:
    19598 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Signal Implausibly Lean
    P3142 - 008 - Implausible Signal
    16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0300 - 008 - Implausible Signal
    16689 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
    P0305 - 008 - Implausible Signal
    16690 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
    P0306 - 008 - Implausible Signal
    16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    P0304 - 008 - Implausible Signal

Can anyone tell me what may be the cause of this issue?

0 0 0

2. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    clear them and re test in the morning, if less codes show re post new reading.
    If the same faults show start with the easy option and interchange the coil packs to eliminate and then retest and post up the new fault codes again then we can start.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

1 0 0

3. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I have the engine light come on a couple of days ago with the code:

19598 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Signal Implausibly Lean
    P3142 - 008 - Implausible Signal

(Exactly the same)

But I had no misfire codes. A couple of days later the engine light came back on and they were the codes I got (the ones in my original post).

Could it be the o2 sensor?

0 0 0

4. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Yes it could but the problem with vcds in this case and the fact you have two lambda probes per bank is the vcds does not give the identity like
    Lambda probe 2 before catalytic converter -G108- with Lambda probe 2 heater -Z28-, which makes diagnosis easier as to which lambda is defective.

The 3.2 engine suffers from heated lambda failure and in certain cases all are replaced followed by a software update but the fault code is different to yours.
    As the fault clears when engine temp rises and the fuel/air mixture becomes more manageable by the ecu then yes its possible but a wiring test and some observations in the measured value function in address 01 will make things clear as to the cause.
    In most cases a lambda fault is caused by poor fuelling and its job is to highlight this to the ecu so I always look at these kinds of faults with an open mind.

One other area that can cause weird fault codes is the engine ecu earth points.Do to some daft bugger they were fitted on the nsf chassis leg near the headlight so they corrode and again this is something I always look at when dealing with the 3.2 A3

2 0 0

5. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Yes it could but the problem with vcds in this case and the fact you have two lambda probes per bank is the vcds does not give the identity like
    Lambda probe 2 before catalytic converter -G108- with Lambda probe 2 heater -Z28-, which makes diagnosis easier as to which lambda is defective.

The 3.2 engine suffers from heated lambda failure and in certain cases all are replaced followed by a software update but the fault code is different to yours.
    As the fault clears when engine temp rises and the fuel/air mixture becomes more manageable by the ecu then yes its possible but a wiring test and some observations in the measured value function in address 01 will make things clear as to the cause.
    In most cases a lambda fault is caused by poor fuelling and its job is to highlight this to the ecu so I always look at these kinds of faults with an open mind.

One other area that can cause weird fault codes is the engine ecu earth points.Do to some daft bugger they were fitted on the nsf chassis leg near the headlight so they corrode and again this is something I always look at when dealing with the 3.2 A3
    Your probably right about the coil packs, I have just spoke to my friend and he said these are really common failing items on the VR6 engines and even VAG in general.

Does it have 2 coil packs then? One for 1,2,3 and another for 4,5,6?

Sometimes I dont notice it and it runs fine but it has got worse lately, possible a cracked coil pack?

0 0 0

6. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    You have 6 coil packs but be careful when removing as you can easily damage them and they are awkward to remove without the correct puller.
    Cylinders 123456
    1 belt end of the engine drivers side and 6 the gearbox side

1 0 0

7. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Again,

Thanks for your help so far. I went out and got some new coils/plugs, just because its got 90k on it now and thought they might be due a change anyway.

However, on this engine where are the 4,5,6 cylinders? The top or bottom?

0 0 0

8. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have got exactly the same problem with my Audi A6 3.2 but my one has misfire in 1, 2 and 3 cylinders, May I ask you what was the problem with your car ? thank you.

0 0 0

9. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    You need to get a proper fault scan preferably done with VCDS or Audi and post the result.

1 0 0

10. Re: Misfire on Audi A3 3.2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ESP light is on and engine light flashing, engine rattles very badly
    the faults are:
    P0340 camshaft position sensor"A" circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)
    P0365 camshaft position sensor"B" circuit (Bank 1 )
    P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected
    P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected
    P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast