Notices

User Tag List

Thread: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My ross tech vag com is giving me an AIRBAG error code
    My airbag light is lite up on my cluster

here is the code I get from Ross tech Vagcom

Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 A
    Component and/or Version: 06 AIRBAG VW5 0004
    Software Coding: 12342
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
    1 Fault Found:
    00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
    33-00 - Resistance too Low

Does this mean my driver side airbag is bad? Unplugged? maybe a fuse? does anyone know where the fuse is? The bag has never been deployed and it looks original. So does the passenger side. this beetle has never been in a crash.

0 0 0

2. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Resistance too Low - means that there is short circuit somewhere it could be a cable, I'm not sure what result gives the faulty airbag. Check the cable under the seat.

I'm getting the resitance to high, when I move the cable under the driver seat it is fine for some time then again...

0 0 0

3. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00588

We suggest not to do any airbag work yourself, for your own safety obey the manufacturer specifications/rules or even better let a skilled mechanic take care of this.
    Sebastian @ www.Ross-Tech.com

0 0 0

4. Cool Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It turns out the airbag was good. There was a short in the wiring. I sent my bag to a repair tech who fixed the short and sent it back

If you want his email it is mrfixitfast777@yahoo.com
    Last edited by turbobugger; 24-12-2008 at 05:26 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turbobugger View Post
    It turns out the airbag was good. The yellow wire has a outer ring that was shorting out the connection. If the ring is pressed back outwards the short is fixed. Works perfect now!

Ir order to see this you would have to take the epoxy off the connector and pop the connector off and then repair the connector. this seems like a design flaw to me!
    --------------------------------------

Turbobugger,

I saw your post here and one on VWVortex. I have the same N95 VAGCOM fault code problem indicating a driver's side airbag fault. and I want to check (1) the yelow wire, (2) the spring clip and (3) the 2wire short that you mention. Are these items underneath the seat or visibe when I remove the steering wheel please ? I attach a picture of the wiring underneath my seat but it would be helpful to find some pictures of the bits you refer to. Any steer would be much appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27466575@N03/3132287793/

0 0 0

6. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I saw your post from back in 2007 and am having the same problem with my 2002 New Beetle.
    The scan code that I get is :
    01217 - Side Airbag Igniter: Drivers Side (N199)
    32-00 - REsistance too high

Tried to clear the code, but it keeps coming back. What did you do to fix your problem?

0 0 0

7. Lightbulb Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bambers3185 View Post
    I saw your post from back in 2007 and am having the same problem with my 2002 New Beetle.
    The scan code that I get is :

Tried to clear the code, but it keeps coming back. What did you do to fix your problem?
    OK, It took me almost a month to figure out this fault. The driver airbag had a short in the wiring. I had the wiring replaced by mrfixitfast777@yahoo.com

If you can find an airbag with the wiring still attached, you can try using a different airbag. the airbag can be fixed if some one fixes the wiring.

The way to test this is to disconnect the bag and run the vagcom again.
    It will say
    01217 - Side Airbag Igniter: Drivers Side
    32-00 - REsistance too low

when you connect it it will say

this is because when it is connected the wiring is faulty, when it is not connected there is no resistance so you will get resistance too low

0 0 0

8. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the information.
    Is there a quick and easy way to disconnect the Side Airbag: Drivers Side to do the test?

0 0 0

9. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bambers3185 View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    Is there a quick and easy way to disconnect the Side Airbag: Drivers Side to do the test?

Its not easy. I had to take off my cluster first, then use a flat head screwdriver to do this.

You can turn the wheel to the left so its facing left to acces the side slot to pop the airbag. after you pop one side you can turn the wheel to the right to pop the other side. Its not easy. you have to use alot of force too.

basically you have two arrow shaped large pins on the driver bag being held by clips on the housing. i put the screwdriver on the inside and pushed outware. it poped with alot of force. the first side was the hardest, the second side was easy.

I disconnected the battery before I did this and reconnected it after I unplugged the bag.

If this test does not work, then the problem is most likely your CLOCKSPRING

0 0 0

10. Re: airbag error code will not reset. How do I fix *driver side resistance too low* 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bamber,

Resistance Too Low and Resistance Too High most likely require different fixes, per the officail VW Service Bulletin. On my Passat I got Resistance Too High / N95. There are lots of recent posts here and at VWVortex and you can see pictures and more info there if you search for Headache56 and Head5678. Others are far more knowledgeable than me but in short:

I replaced this part (which has several different names including "clockspring" but that is not what it is called in my Haynes manual) from under the steering wheel:-> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27466575@N03/3220122164/

I removed the yellow under seat connection (and spliced wires using solder and heatshrink) under the drivers seat -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27466575@N03/3132287793/

Then I deleted the code N95 (was it 05388 or similar, I cannot remember) using VAGCOM. It worked.

Hope it helps

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast