Notices

User Tag List

Thread: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We have had the dreaded "runaway diesel" problem on our W reg 1.9TDii. We've bought a cheap R reg 1.9 TDi for £450, that is tatty, but the engine sounds ok apart from some sensor faults putting it in limp mode, that hopefully we can solve by swapping the sensors from the old one.(Says us optimistically!).
    The engines look pretty much the same and a garage has said they will switch them for £250, but that we need to check if there are likely to be any differences they need to be aware of between the TDii and the TDi, or will they go straight across? Please can anyone help us with this? The only thing we have noticed that is different is that the TDii has a Bosch MAF sensor, whereas the TDi has a Piersburg one, but we're assuming that is not a major issue. Please can anyone advise us?

0 0 0

2. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't say I've ever heard of a TDii engine, what makes it an ii rather than an i?

Is your W plate a facelift model?

Do you know the engine codes of the two engines?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Sam, Thanks for prompt reply and for the advice on my other thread. You will have to bear with me because I am the reasonably computer-literate but car dim wife, and the one with the spanners in his hand is out - will be back later! We checked for an engine number on the R reg TDi and there isn't one!! The plate has been removed and we suspect it is not the original engine. We haven't got the log book back from being updated yet either, so can't refer to that. The W reg one's engine number is AVG 255322. What is a facelift model? It says TDi on the log book, but has an extra i in red on the tailgate. Just to clarify the W reg one is the engine failue and the R reg one seems to run ok, but is in limp mode with all the faults described in the other thread. Since disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, we now have a starting issue (just to add to all our woes!). The guy at the garage reckons this is a fault on the stop solenoid, which does appear to make a ticking noise when you turn on the ignition. Eventually it will start, but it seems to be getting worse. This looks a nightmare to get off with the engine in the car, so we'll have to change this when we switch the engines. Can't understand why this suddenly started to give problems just by disconnecting the battery though! Maybe the extra "i" doesn't mean anything? Though, hubbie seems to think it might mean it must do??

0 0 0

4. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello dim wife

Quote Originally Posted by SammiH View Post
    We checked for an engine number on the R reg TDi and there isn't one!! The plate has been removed and we suspect it is not the original engine. We haven't got the log book back from being updated yet either, so can't refer to that.
    If it's not the original engine, it could be anything. It could also have questionable service history, but for the price you paid....

The W reg one's engine number is AVG 255322. What is a facelift model? It says TDi on the log book, but has an extra i in red on the tailgate.
    If it's an AVG, it'll be a Mk1 Sharan and should look the same as the R reg one - like this?

It's an early TDi 110

Maybe the extra "i" doesn't mean anything? Though, hubbie seems to think it might mean it must do??
    I can't say I've ever seen a TDii but I don't get out much, perhaps someone else has?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

5. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would find a garage that's capable of doing the job in the first place, £250 is cheap for an engine swap but for a garage not to realise there is no such thing as a tdii is poor.

I'd also be concerned that the 'new' engine has faults of it's own - you're replacing one faulty engine with, potentially, another.

The absence of engine codes - I trust this isn't the VIN plate you're referring to?

0 0 0

6. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is a garage we use regularly for MOTs and is established, so no reason to doubt they are ok, but he admitted he hadn't done an engine swap on a Sharan for a long time, so wasn't familiar with the variations. So, is there no such thing as a TDIi?? Looking at a post by Crasher in response to another query, it sounds like the extra i means that it is a 110 rather than a 90bhp? Admittedly, we are now questionning whether to forget about the engine swap and part-ex both in for something else!

0 0 0

7. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammiH View Post
    It is a garage we use regularly for MOTs and is established, so no reason to doubt they are ok, but he admitted he hadn't done an engine swap on a Sharan for a long time, so wasn't familiar with the variations. So, is there no such thing as a TDIi?? Looking at a post by Crasher in response to another query, it sounds like the extra i means that it is a 110 rather than a 90bhp? Admittedly, we are now questionning whether to forget about the engine swap and part-ex both in for something else!
    Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    If it's an AVG, it'll be a Mk1 Sharan and should look the same as the R reg one - like this?

It's an early TDi 110
    Go me!

Personally, I'd ignore the badges and stick to engine codes on the block (or in the spare wheel well or manual). Badges are a few quid from eBay and can be stuck on anything, by anyone, admittedly a Sharan is probably safe from the Barry Boys, but you never know.

I'm a bit confused () on which car has which engine but if the one coming out the donor car (R reg?) is of unknown origin, I'd be a bit wary.

Don't forget (he says as he opens another can of worms) that the Sharan shares pretty much everything with the Ford Galaxy (Ford use their own gearboxes) and SEAT Alhambra so you have a lot more scope to find a half decent engine.

0 0 0

8. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The only way to be sure an engine swap will work is to use the same engine code from the same year and model. If you don't, you will have problems with matching up the sensors and engine control units (ecu). This is fine when you are DIY, but not funny when you are paying a garage to sort the problems. I would not start swapping engines unless the garage offer a fixed price and a guarantee that they will finish the job. Like that's gonna happen.

0 0 0

9. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We have decided against the engine swap and to cut our losses! We're part-exing the tatty runner in for another car and are trying to flog the tidy but blown one. Someone came last night to see it and said they might be back today - buying it for a relative in Poland! Got £350 for the runner off the other car, and asking £600 for the non-runner. Let's hope the next car lasts more than 3 months! Won't mention the make on here as it's not VW!
    Thanks to everyone who offered advice - this is a great forum!

0 0 0

10. Re: URGENT Please : Can we swap Sharan engine TDii for a TDi -will there be any compatibility problems? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very wise decision.

What have you got instead, don't worry, we have a swear filter

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast