Notices

User Tag List

Thread: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I've just ordered this from AMAZON.co.uk

The CARPLAY module connects to the Audi Music Interface socket , via AMI lead with RCA connector. (Any Audi with AMI and MMI screen)

the only differance between this and the OEM version of CARPLAY is the "MMI" looking app is not there, (I think the "MMI looking app just returns you to the Audi MMI screen anyway - can someone confirm this ?

you don't navigate through the CARPLAY with the large MMI rotary controller , choosing the differant apps on CARPLAY is achieved by the rotary controller that's included , in the pic on Amazon they show the controller attached to the steering wheel , for my personally I'm not going to attach it to the steering wheel.

Once you have chosen the app on CARPLAY , most functions can be achieved by SIRI

General External Carplay box Siri Voice steering-wheel: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

i was thinking about getting my MMI plus maps updated anyway , no need to now will use maps from my phone etc

when it's arrived will tack pics etc

1 0 0

2. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Is there something I'm not getting. What's the latest obsession with CarPlay?
    The A6 has satnav(rmc, 3G, 4g), has a cd/DVD player and interface or USB cables to connect to your phone/iPod for tunes.
    What else do you need? Concentration should be on the road and not more distractions.
    I've seen CarPlay in other cars and the graphics and everything looks a bit basic/simplistic. It adds some apps from your phone but the a6 already has nav and music which are really all you will need in car.
    I'm not having a go at folks just trying to see what I'm missing out on. I've got the full apple ecosystem at home so trying to see what I'm missing out on in the car.

0 3 0

3. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    The A6 has satnav(rmc, 3G, 4g), has a cd/DVD player and interface or USB cables to connect to your phone/iPod for tunes.
    What else do you need? Concentration should be on the road and not more distractions.
    I've seen CarPlay in other cars and the graphics and everything looks a bit basic/simplistic. It adds some apps from your phone but the a6 already has nav and music which are really all you will need in car.
    I'm not having a go at folks just trying to see what I'm missing out on. I've got the full apple ecosystem at home so trying to see what I'm missing out on in the car.
    As mentioned above , I was going to get my maps updated (currently my 3G plus navigation maps are from 2011) cost to update maps I guessing is about Ł200.00 plus ,so this a cheap way to get up to date maps from my phone.

0 0 0

4. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Q7quattro View Post
    As mentioned above , I was going to get my maps updated (currently my 3G plus navigation maps are from 2011) cost to update maps I guessing is about Ł200.00 plus ,so this a cheap way to get up to date maps from my phone.
    This is interesting. Just FYI, you can get it from AliExpress for 88$.

Could someone confirm if MMI RMC would support video/audio input? Basically, can this work with RMC?

To A6S

CarPlay gives you iPhone apps like messages, maps, Spotify on your car dash display. You can control it using Siri. I know Audi does a lot but CarPlay is just better as it centralises the infotainment in to your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    current: 2019 A6 S-Line 40 TDI Avant (de-chromed)
    sold: 2015 A6 S-line Black Edition 2.0 TDI ULTRA
    MODs: CarPlay with RMC, Ambient Lighting

0 0 0

5. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    CarPlay is going to KILL all of the expensive in car options that we've all being paying for... why pay Łxxxx for GPS, juke boxes the ability to integrate your messages and have them read out by the car when you can have all that stuff dealt with by your phone (i.e. the pocket computer that most of us cary around).
    Up to date maps, music library sync'd with what you have in your home, integrated messaging... blah blah

Car manufacturer are providing CarPlay integration because they can smell the coffee. Higher res stuff will come.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

1 0 0

6. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    CarPlay and Siri will only work if you have a 3G/4g signal. As soon as you are in the sticks with no reception it's not gonna work or work that well.

0 0 0

7. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Carplay/Android Auto won't kill off anything, manufactures are not daft and just like Audi if you want OEM integration then you need to buy the Carplay/Android Auto option+ you need the tech pack option. Also these day's the car's control system + camera's are controlled off the entertainment systems, and if anything the entertainment systems are just going to be even more a required option.

0 0 0

8. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    CarPlay and Siri will only work if you have a 3G/4g signal. As soon as you are in the sticks with no reception it's not gonna work or work that well.
    CarPlay will work whatever - reception or not. Google Maps needs a 3g / 4g signal UNLESS you took time to download offline maps - in which case it works just fine even with NO data service (our standalone phone in airplane mode which I've done multiple times). The GPS in the phone plus a downloaded map is all you need to get great satnav - the only constraint is you need data to plan a route.

Beyond that.. music? yeah works and.. what else?
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

9. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Carplay/Android Auto won't kill off anything, manufactures are not daft and just like Audi if you want OEM integration then you need to buy the Carplay/Android Auto option+ you need the tech pack option. Also these day's the car's control system + camera's are controlled off the entertainment systems, and if anything the entertainment systems are just going to be even more a required option.
    Err no. So many manufacturers are offering CarPlay / Android Auto option as included on base models it will become a default free option... the question is "how wll they try to make money off it"

0 0 0

10. Re: **UPDATE** 3rd party CARPLAY for All models (only cars with AMI socket) on AMAZON 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Interesting option if it works. However one thing that occurs to me is that assuming bevause it uses the AMI port it requires you to select the Media function on the MMI system it would then preclude you from using the radio or any other media input except for what is available on or via the connect iDevice. You would probably also need to enable Video in Motion, unless it tricks the MMI system into thinking the video output for the maps is actually like album artwork rather than video

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast