Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdchristy View Post
    Thanks again, and presumably the other pin to an earth, somewhere on the door (not to the controller), enable with VCDS and sorted?
    The controller has an earth wire (pin 1?) - i spliced into that. There weren't any obvious earth points on the door as far as I can remember.

0 0 0

2. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    That's presumably got other stuff on it already, so add to it, rather than another repair wire and connect to that pin?

Also, if I do the internal light bars at the same time, is the connector 8R0973705 and then the same repair wires?
    Thanks,

0 0 0

3. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdchristy View Post
    That's presumably got other stuff on it already, so add to it, rather than another repair wire and connect to that pin?

Also, if I do the internal light bars at the same time, is the connector 8R0973705 and then the same repair wires?
    Thanks,
    Yes, add to it - I used a standard clamp on wire splice.

0 1 0

4. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi pdchristy, would very much appreciate it if you did a DIY thread for this when you are done, would love to do this to my car too.

0 0 0

5. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchunk View Post
    Hi pdchristy, would very much appreciate it if you did a DIY thread for this when you are done, would love to do this to my car too.
    Most of it's covered around this thread and a couple of other ones. I'll try though, it's bloody cold at the moment to be trying to take photos!!

I'm trying to retrofit the advanced key / kessy, the exterior door handle lights, and the interior door light bars, whilst I have the doors apart. So it's quite slow going too. It took me 4 /5 hours yesterday on the rear drivers door! The light bar works (good news). The exterior door handle light doesn't (bad news!).

Can anyone confirm the coding for the door handle lights (I read Door modules: Change Byte 2 from 1C to 1F
    Cent Elect module: Change Byte 16, bit 7 (counting from the left) to 1)). However my byte 2 coding wasn't 1C to start with, and 1F doesn't seem to be working. Do I need to add on the balance to whatever was there before, or check the wiring?

Can anyone confirm the pin (and which connector), on the door control module. "The light bar goes to pin 8 on the 32 pin connector and the door handle LED goes to pin 5 on the 6 pin connector", which is what I did for the light bar (and seems fine), but there's not a 6pin connector on the door control module that I can see.

EDIT: (and note to self for later) Looking at elsawin, it looks like the above is wrong. Door handle LED should go to pin 1 of the 20 pin connector and the light bar should actually go to pin 3 of the 16 pin connector.

0 0 0

6. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Would be great if you could do one, as you say there are bits and bobs of info all around, but no one thread with all info, especially coding, which is the main worry for me, don't fancy going through all the work only to find I was unable to code it and get it all working.
    I defo want to do the ambient lighting and the door handle lighting. When I first bought the car 18 months ago I looked into doing the keyless entry but got put off a bit with the RS6 models being stolen that had this, at the time it looked to me that this system made the cars with it easier to steal, not sure if this is the case or not, just put me off a bit but it was the first retrofit I looked into when I bought the car.
    I see a recent thread that someone has done for the ambient lighting which is good, plenty part numbers and info on door panel removal, but to hook the lights up they have tapped into the wiring for the lamp on the internal door handles, this is ok but not the correct way to wire them, as the rear door handle lights go out when you put the rear door child locks on (which are on all the time in my car) so no ambient lighting on the rear doors then.

0 0 0

7. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    Some pictures of the light bar and the back of a door panel. The black one is the trim that is fitted to the door panel that must be removed. Note the tabs on it hence why you must remove it from behind.
    Fitted these but can’t really see them till u bend down and look up

0 0 0

8. Re: Exterior door handle lighting retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Very useful thread, I’m looking to fit the door card lights and the exterior handle lights. I haven’t got VCDS yet but will buy it and attempt the coding myself.
    A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDi 320ps Quattro S-Line 11/14

0 1 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234