Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I want your help with the locking mechanism of my drivers door on my golf.

Basically, my car was in a minor smash (drivers side) and my car got re-painted etc etc.. when this was being done the lock on the drivers door failed (don't know how). So I said go ahead with getting a new one.

The problem is as follows:

When I get in my car, I usually lock all doors with the lock/unlock button (stop people getting in the boot when I'm in traffic as I always put my stuff [laptop etc] in the boot).

At the end of my journey (car still being locked) I just pull the handle to unlock the drivers door, as the door is locked pulling the handle just unlocks the door, I then pull the handle again to open the door. I've been doing this for years, so it's kind of a habbit.

When I do this with the new lock, it doesn't unlock it, and it even prevents the unlocking button from unlocking the drivers door... It still pops the thing up, but makes the internal handle useless.

I've spoke with the garage, and they say I should just unlock the door with the button and not the handle, and that no 'car' should do that. I proved it should be looking at another golf.

What does everyone think?

0 0 0

2. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I Think that the garage are treating you like an idiot, all of my doors unlock if you open it from the inside they unlock on the first pull and open on the second pull, It may be something simple like the bar that is connected to the lock from the inside handle has come off or the lock mechanism may be faulty.

Is there any resistance when you pull on the handle? does the lock make a noise or does the anything happen when you pull the handle?

0 0 0

3. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just read yourpost again if the button is still popping up then the bar is probably still attached and i would say the lock mechanism is at fault? does the door handle work when you unlock with the button?

0 0 0

4. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRaymond View Post
    I just read yourpost again if the button is still popping up then the bar is probably still attached and i would say the lock mechanism is at fault? does the door handle work when you unlock with the button?
    Hi GRaymond

The button unlocks the door fine, however if you try to open it with a pull of the handle the button will not work (but still pops the thing up). You have to lock and unlock the door several times and eventually it opens.

Apparently, there is nothing to alter to make it better. But it feels like a bar is not pulling it far enough, but I don't have a clue how the insides work. I've tried to look for a diagram to see what can be altered.

I've also put lots of WD40 into the lock, and it did solve the problem for a while, but hasn't worked since.

Any idea where I could find a diagram, then I can figure out if it is a bar or the unit itself.

0 0 0

5. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look on ebay for a photo of the lock but i would suggest that the lock button that pops up on the top of the door would not pop up if the inner handle was not connected to the lock.

Another thing to try is whether the door will open from the outside once it is unlocked and if not hit the door hard on the outside under the door handle and try to open it again.

Sometimes if the external door handle is not fitted correctly the lock mechanism will not return so whether the door is locked or not it will not open. If this has happened it is easy to fix.

Pull the external handle and you will see that it is connected with a cable,
    The cable has a barbed end which fits in a groved slot if this is too tight it may be the problem and if you slacken it by clicking it out and re fixing it a few notches lower

0 0 0

6. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look on ebay for a photo of the lock but i would suggest that the lock button that pops up on the top of the door would not pop up if the inner handle was not connected to the lock.

Another thing to try is whether the door will open from the outside once it is unlocked and if not hit the door hard on the outside under the door handle and try to open it again.

Sometimes if the external door handle is not fitted correctly the lock mechanism will not return so whether the door is locked or not it will not open. If this has happened it is easy to fix.

Pull the external handle and you will see that it is connected with a cable,
    The cable has a barbed end which fits in a groved slot if this is too tight it may be the problem and if you slacken it by clicking it out and re fixing it a few notches lower
    I'll have a look tonight and reply later/tomoz.

Thanks for your help.

0 0 0

7. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds a bit like my problems - see my recent post on "central locking pump"

had door panel off - and all is "mechanically" sound

looks like I have a problem with the catch mechanism itself.

0 0 0

8. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys i have a not too different problem with my rear passenger door

I had the electric lock mechanism replaced as it went bust!

Now the inside handle does not work at all, it feels like it is not connected to anything at all and will not pop the lock up when you pull it or open the door

When i press the lock/unlock button the lock does pop up and the door can be opened from the outside only

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Listen guys if you got these locks fitted at the garage you should take your cars back and get them to sort it out and save yourself the hassel of a diy job.

I am pretty familiar with the door setup and cannot think what this could be other than what I have already posted,

If it is the rear door are you sure that the child locks are not on?

0 0 0

10. Re: Drivers door locking mechanism not working properly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've had a look and when the internal door handle doesn't work, neither does the external door handle. I've also given it a few bangs, and that doesn't solve it either.

I've read about solder joints failing in certain components, but as this is a new lock (£90+ VAT) surely the failing part would have been replaced?

I've already taken it back once, and it worked for a while and went back to it's old ways. They say the part is sealed and there is nothing to alter, and it's designed to work like that.

I might take it to a VW garage and see what they say, but I seriously can't afford a big bill... that's why I drive a diesel...

Oh, and I also looked on autodata (a friend has it) and this shows nothing for the locks.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast